Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 515

Thread: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting


  2. #142
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    34,740

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  3. #143
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    4,327
    Everything about this kid sounds great. Itís really nice to hear he comes from a hard working family.

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    If interested in watching Kleiboer compete at World Jr A Challenge you can follow the link below.

    https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/na...stats/schedule

  5. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    19

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    This weekend had me pretty excited so I was checking out the roster projection table (great work BHall44), and I think next years team is going to be the one to bring us back to the tourney. The trio of Fargo guys are putting up impressive numbers so far and should replace the scoring we'll lose with Vesey and Pieper gone. The blue line has been crowded this year so I expect Hamilton's shoes to be filled by someone like Binner who's been great. I want to saw he's +11 which is unreal. I don't know if it's Ben or Red but the right players are starting to arrive. Don't want to speak to soon but it appears to be coming together. 2 good recruiting classes in a row with another one which appears to be on the way. My fingers are crossed

  6. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
    This weekend had me pretty excited so I was checking out the roster projection table (great work BHall44), and I think next years team is going to be the one to bring us back to the tourney. The trio of Fargo guys are putting up impressive numbers so far and should replace the scoring we'll lose with Vesey and Pieper gone. The blue line has been crowded this year so I expect Hamilton's shoes to be filled by someone like Binner who's been great. I want to saw he's +11 which is unreal. I don't know if it's Ben or Red but the right players are starting to arrive. Don't want to speak to soon but it appears to be coming together. 2 good recruiting classes in a row with another one which appears to be on the way. My fingers are crossed
    Thank you for the kind words. Next year's group does looks promising. I am keeping a close eye on Ben Meyers especially during the second half. He could. Defensemen recruits are well positioned in case of early departures with Spicer redshirting, Kleiboer (likely next season), and Butala (either or). Good news is that Pieper does have one more year of eligibility left so we get him for another season. He has injected much needed energy and ability up the middle to the bottom six, something sorely lacking in previous years. I am also keeping an eye on Ben Beck. He has been quite inconsistent so far this season which is why I moved him back a class. Big talent adjustment from where he was and not too mention coming across the pond to a new country. No need to rush him along with Swayman and McGovern both in house next season. Beyond next season the '01's really get me excited. Breen and Capone are fun to watch. Anyone who lives in Southern Maine and interested should check the New Hampton schedule as Breen will most certainly play in an arena near you sometime this winter.

  7. #147
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    251

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    BHall, Im just curious. Who of our recruits that will be here soon are you most bullish on? I assume it's either JSS or Dawe, that's who I'm personally watching, but what say you?

  8. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    BHall, Im just curious. Who of our recruits that will be here soon are you most bullish on? I assume it's either JSS or Dawe, that's who I'm personally watching, but what say you?
    From the group of '98s and '99s... I would say JSS (#GreatDane), Dawe, Meyers, Needham, Farrell, Kleirboer and Butala

    Meyers (2018) highly skilled, have been watching him the most recently. if he blows up in the second half Maine fans should be very excited about the prospects of next year's forward class!
    Craig Needham (2018 or 2019) won't blow you away with numbers but he is a future captain, a glue guy, easy to like his style of play and effort.
    Butala (2018 or 2019) is playing very good hockey and will be a welcomed addition to the blueline, all around game, leadership.
    Kleiboer (2018 or 2019) No viewings yet but based on face value seems like someone to be excited about. World Jr A tournament is streaming for free so i plan to catch a couple of his games.
    Dallas Farrell (2019) is highly skilled but still playing in the NCDC is not really furthering is development (IMO).

  9. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    19

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. Next year's group does looks promising. I am keeping a close eye on Ben Meyers especially during the second half. He could. Defensemen recruits are well positioned in case of early departures with Spicer redshirting, Kleiboer (likely next season), and Butala (either or). Good news is that Pieper does have one more year of eligibility left so we get him for another season. He has injected much needed energy and ability up the middle to the bottom six, something sorely lacking in previous years. I am also keeping an eye on Ben Beck. He has been quite inconsistent so far this season which is why I moved him back a class. Big talent adjustment from where he was and not too mention coming across the pond to a new country. No need to rush him along with Swayman and McGovern both in house next season. Beyond next season the '01's really get me excited. Breen and Capone are fun to watch. Anyone who lives in Southern Maine and interested should check the New Hampton schedule as Breen will most certainly play in an arena near you sometime this winter.
    Wow, I didn't know that Pieper would be back. That's great news for this team. The top three lines on next years team have the potential to be the best we've seen in a very long time.
    Fossier-Pearson-Tralmaks
    Schmidt-Svejstrup-Doherty-Shea
    Robbins-Pieper-Dawe
    Westerlund-Drobot-Meyers

    No checkers in those lines so a bit unrealistic but those all appear to be guys who will score goals which is exciting. I think this years team should be safe in terms of guys taking off early. In my opinion Holway and Swayman are the only ones who truly appear ready for the next level. If the recruiting class pans out, hats off to Ben and maybe we should be talking about him as a potential replacement for Red. I have been tough on Red and I'm not a full believer yet but you have to give credit where credit is due. He's done a fantastic job so far this year, has a young team a game over .500 at the break. The same team that was picked last in the pre-season poll. Heck, they even got a vote in the polls this week. We can blame resources and facilities all we want but in truth it's more about going after the right recruits. I love the fact that Ben is going into western Canada and finding players. Even more intruiging is he's going toe to toe with bigger schools and landing USHL guys which bodes well for our long term success.

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that Pieper would be back. That's great news for this team. The top three lines on next years team have the potential to be the best we've seen in a very long time.
    Fossier-Pearson-Tralmaks
    Schmidt-Svejstrup-Doherty-Shea
    Robbins-Pieper-Dawe
    Westerlund-Drobot-Meyers

    No checkers in those lines so a bit unrealistic but those all appear to be guys who will score goals which is exciting. I think this years team should be safe in terms of guys taking off early. In my opinion Holway and Swayman are the only ones who truly appear ready for the next level. If the recruiting class pans out, hats off to Ben and maybe we should be talking about him as a potential replacement for Red. I have been tough on Red and I'm not a full believer yet but you have to give credit where credit is due. He's done a fantastic job so far this year, has a young team a game over .500 at the break. The same team that was picked last in the pre-season poll. Heck, they even got a vote in the polls this week. We can blame resources and facilities all we want but in truth it's more about going after the right recruits. I love the fact that Ben is going into western Canada and finding players. Even more intruiging is he's going toe to toe with bigger schools and landing USHL guys which bodes well for our long term success.
    Pieper and Doherty, players you need on any team...they bring a blue collar/ lunch pail attitude to the lineup...won't fill the net with goals but they do the little things you notice and appreciate.

  11. #151
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    19

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Pieper and Doherty, players you need on any team...they bring a blue collar/ lunch pail attitude to the lineup...won't fill the net with goals but they do the little things you notice and appreciate.
    Absolutely agree. I think Doherty has a bit if a scoring touch to his game as well. Love both their styles, fast and not afraid to get dirty in the corners. Robbins has been great so far, real speedster and he'll go into the corner. Didn't think much of him when he first arrived in Orono but he's become one of my favorites to watch.

  12. #152
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Pieper and Doherty, players you need on any team...they bring a blue collar/ lunch pail attitude to the lineup...won't fill the net with goals but they do the little things you notice and appreciate.
    100% agree. I've really loved watching Pieper in particular this year, he's had an excellent season and has been a godsend for the bottom six, bringing energy and ability to the bottom half of the roster.

  13. #153
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    251

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Any way to watch USHL games free of charge? I'm hoping to get my first personal look at the Fargo trio tonight.

  14. #154
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    Any way to watch USHL games free of charge? I'm hoping to get my first personal look at the Fargo trio tonight.
    Nope. HockeyTV. You can get a month subscription

  15. #155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Canada West won the gold medal at the World Jr. A Challenge with a 5-1 victory over US. Levi Kleiboer set up the first goal of the game. Battlefords local paper write up linked below.

    http://www.newsoptimist.ca/sports/lo...nge-1.23124723

  16. #156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Matt Thiessen named to CJHL top prospect game roster.

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Article with a blurb on 2020 NHL Draft prospect and Maine recruit Nick Capone of Salisbury School

    http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1276075

  18. #158
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,737

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Capone doesn't blow my hair back.

    Not seeing much in general to impress me among the recruits, but I don't know a lot re: Juniors. All I can do from here is to look at the numbers and the odd game or two.

    But the enthusiasm about all the "talent" Red has brought-in puzzles me. This year's team will almost certainly finish with a losing season, and if Red could recruit, some serious talent should be showing-up by now.

  19. #159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,022

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Capone doesn't blow my hair back.

    Not seeing much in general to impress me among the recruits, but I don't know a lot re: Juniors. All I can do from here is to look at the numbers and the odd game or two.

    But the enthusiasm about all the "talent" Red has brought-in puzzles me. This year's team will almost certainly finish with a losing season, and if Red could recruit, some serious talent should be showing-up by now.
    Yes, this thread has turned into a love fest for present and future recruits. These players have no limitations. If it gives joy and optimism to fans that's great.

  20. #160
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,737

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Yes, this thread has turned into a love fest for present and future recruits. These players have no limitations. If it gives joy and optimism to fans that's great.
    I'm all about optimism when it's warranted, but yeah, there's not a lot of evidence to support that.

    The longer we all cross our fingers that Red will succeed, the longer we'll have to wait for Maine to get anywhere near respectable again.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-22-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •