Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    2 goal game tonight for JSS including the game winner. He now has 5 goals in 6 games.
    Its nice to see JSS and Binner come good this year. When they committed they were big gets and it was disappointing to see them struggle last year. I'm not sure why JSS got mixed up in fighting and other nonsense last year but hopefully it is behind him now.

It looks like Maine is going to have a lot of talent come in at forward next year between JSS, Farrell, and Dawe. Hopefully one or two of the other guys can step up as well.

Red mentioned a couple weeks ago that Ben and Alfie were out recruiting, what do you think they're looking for? Maybe an extra dman for next year(cover for Michel and Holway leaving) or are they looking at kids who are a lot younger?
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Its nice to see JSS and Binner come good this year. When they committed they were big gets and it was disappointing to see them struggle last year. I'm not sure why JSS got mixed up in fighting and other nonsense last year but hopefully it is behind him now.

It looks like Maine is going to have a lot of talent come in at forward next year between JSS, Farrell, and Dawe. Hopefully one or two of the other guys can step up as well.

Red mentioned a couple weeks ago that Ben and Alfie were out recruiting, what do you think they're looking for? Maybe an extra dman for next year(cover for Michel and Holway leaving) or are they looking at kids who are a lot younger?
    Binner was a defensive beast last year and is showing that ability in orono. Farrell is not in next year's class. He needs a new challenFge before coming to orono. Long way to go but i doubt detroit brings holway or Pearson up after this season. Red wings are closer to rebuilding than competing. Michel needs to play some defense if has visions of being paid to play hockey this spring. Spicer looks to be redshirting. Butala or Moran each have another year of junior eligibility. Butala is leading ushl in +/- and wearing an A. September and early October is showcase season for the junior leagues. Heavy usage of the recruiting budget. this day in age you recruit 4 years out anyway.

Trevor Peca has decommitted from Maine and committed to Miami for the 2019-20 season.

Trevor Peca has decommitted from Maine and committed to Miami for the 2019-20 season.
    How big of a loss is he, Bhall44?

I've been doing some research on Maine's future recruits. At this point seems like the Top 5 (in alphabetical order) are:

Beck
    Breen
    Dawe
    Farrell
    Schmidt-Svejstrup

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by umhockey91 View Post
    How big of a loss is he, Bhall44?

I've been doing some research on Maine's future recruits. At this point seems like the Top 5 (in alphabetical order) are:

Beck
    Breen
    Dawe
    Farrell
    Schmidt-Svejstrup

Your thoughts?
    He's a good player but nothing to be alarmed about. We had a bit of log jam centered around the 2019-20 forwards and I would guess that he was asked to come the following year. Peca and Needham are similar players two-way, hard working, good leardership type player.

As for your second question, it is difficult to compare 15 year olds and 19 year olds for obvious reasons. Among scouting services Capone and Breen are probably the highest rated. I am anticipating a second half surge from Meyers as well. He is a nifty player who is still adjusting to USHL play. I really like what I have seen this year from Butala, he is wearing the "A", and is playing some very good defensive hockey. Roy and Sasson are having good years as well. I would like to see Farrell make a move to a better league to continue his development.

Today through Nov 15 is National Letter of Intent early signing period.

New commitment today: Nolan Renwick (Notre Dame Hounds)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=352027

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

New commitment today: Nolan Renwick (Notre Dame Hounds)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=352027
    He is 16 and Canadian, he announced he was coming to Maine University on Twitter. Can you say major Jr here we come

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup is now leading the USHL in goals & points. He has signed his LOI and will be in Orono next season.

http://www.ushl.com/view/#/player/7315

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup is now leading the USHL in goals & points. He has signed his LOI and will be in Orono next season.

http://www.ushl.com/view/#/player/7315
    Very good news
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Matthew Thiessen '00 (G) Steinbech (MJHL) has committed to Maine. In 14 games he has a 2.18 GAA and 0.922 SV%. Good numbers for a 17 year old rookie. I have not seen him play. Was evaluated but not selected to World U-17 team last year. I will look more into time frame but looks like a 2020-21 recruit with insurance for 2019-20 if Beck does not pan out.

Matthew Thiessen '00 (G) Steinbech (MJHL) has committed to Maine. In 14 games he has a 2.18 GAA and 0.922 SV%. Good numbers for a 17 year old rookie. I have not seen him play. Was evaluated but not selected to World U-17 team last year. I will look more into time frame but looks like a 2020-21 recruit with insurance for 2019-20 if Beck does not pan out.
    I read on twitter it was for 19-20 but obviously things could change. I wonder if he could also be cover in case Swayman leaves early.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I read on twitter it was for 19-20 but obviously things could change. I wonder if he could also be cover in case Swayman leaves early.
    i saw the same thing on twitter. safe to say it is best not to believe everything you read on twitter. if Beck is quick to decommit/offer removed than it will be 19/20. otherwise thiessen is most likely to arrive 20-21. the further in time a recruit is from coming the more difficult it is to project when they will arrive. depending on recruit development and early departures these things change. sometimes a recruit decommits because they are asked to come a year later than previously agreed upon.

sittin on the dock of a bay

Last edited by gscott13; 11-29-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Was reading that the league plays a different style than the NCAA and doesn't produce a ton of scholarship offers or NHL draft picks. After watching his highlights, he definitely looks like a solid player. I little smaller than our other defensemen. Says that he is a puck moving defensemen that can play on the powerplay. Might be a good get if he continues to develop. I like that Guite is going into these smaller leagues and trying to find the hidden gems. The USHL and northeast area are getting increasingly difficult to recruit from so it's refreshing to see this. Keeper was from a similar league to this one and he's been great so far. Fingers crossed for this kid

Had a chance to watch Matt Thiessen Sunday as Steinbech (MJHL) took on Swan Valley. First of all Steinbech is a significantly better team which limited the number of times Thiessen was truly challenged. Regardless, Thiessen made some very good saves. He faced 25 shots and the lone goal came on the power play with a 6-0 lead. His athleticism stood out to me. Plays a similar style to Swayman. Tough to give a big picture view with one viewing against a subpar team but overall I really liked what I saw. Another good job by UMaine identifying a recruit early.

https://steinbachonline.com/local-sp...tthew-thiessen

Levi Kleiboer was named to Team Canada West for the World Junior A Challenge to be held in Truro, NS beginning this weekend.

good article
    http://battlefordsnow.com/article/58...iversity-maine
    Last edited by Bhall44; 12-06-2017 at 10:00 AM.

2 Maine recruits named to USHL NHL Top Prospects Game

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1256192

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    2 Maine recruits named to USHL NHL Top Prospects Game

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1256192
    Wow quite surprised Roy was named, not that he hasn't played well this year but i figured others ('98s or 99s) would get the nod over him. Good for Harry. I like his style of play.

Thread Information