UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

How likely are commits for the upcoming season at this time of the year? I was doing some research on USHL defensemen and an uncommitted player caught my eye. Mason Palmer, Waterloo; 45 GP, 2-5-7, +17. 19 years old. Unlikely, I know, but any chance he could be lured to Orono?

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
      How likely are commits for the upcoming season at this time of the year? I was doing some research on USHL defensemen and an uncommitted player caught my eye. Mason Palmer, Waterloo; 45 GP, 2-5-7, +17. 19 years old. Unlikely, I know, but any chance he could be lured to Orono?
      I’d be surprised if they took another dman. That could change depending on defections though.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        I’d be surprised if they took another dman. That could change depending on defections though.
        I mean, I don’t think they’ll get this kid, but I’dlike to see it. Herner I believe was personally told by Red he’d never play here, Moran might have a year or two extra in junior, and I’m not sure of Spicer’s status. Butala I expect to be here, and he will in all likelihood get Hamilton’s roster spot, but since I’m personally no fan of Muhelbauer if we could get Palmer to take his place we’d have a solid D in my view.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
          I mean, I don’t think they’ll get this kid, but I’dlike to see it. Herner I believe was personally told by Red he’d never play here, Moran might have a year or two extra in junior, and I’m not sure of Spicer’s status. Butala I expect to be here, and he will in all likelihood get Hamilton’s roster spot, but since I’m personally no fan of Muhelbauer if we could get Palmer to take his place we’d have a solid D in my view.
          Interesting. I wonder if maybe Herner had an attitude issue or something like that? I’m really surprised he never got a shot last year given how little depth Maine had.

Do you know what the deal with Hock is? Has he been hurt or just not good enough? It’s bizarre three guys on the roster will wind up not playing a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            Interesting. I wonder if maybe Herner had an attitude issue or something like that? I’m really surprised he never got a shot last year given how little depth Maine had.

Do you know what the deal with Hock is? Has he been hurt or just not good enough? It’s bizarre three guys on the roster will wind up not playing a game.
            I thought Hock and Spicer were red shirts, therefore we wouldn't expect them to play. Just practice this year. I can't remember if I red it in posts on here, but that has been my impression. Could be it was mentioned on that coaches show. Not sure if I can find a link to an article.

Comment

I wonder if maybe Herner had an attitude issue or something like that? I’m really surprised he never got a shot last year given how little depth Maine had.
              Herner played in the exhibition game against Acadia and he was Slow...

I doubt he will ever have the speed to play.

Comment

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
                Herner played in the exhibition game against Acadia and he was Slow...

I doubt he will ever have the speed to play.
                Thanks for the tip, I just watched(available in on demand section of game videos) a little and I agree with your take.

Comment

A few random questions for BHall/BlackEye...do you think any of Herner, Spicer, Moran, Pappalardo, or Hock are on the team next year? It's hard for me to see where any of them have much of a future with Maine but maybe there is something I am missing. What is the difference between Drobot and Pappalardo? Will the difference in competition leading into playing for Maine lead to a different outcome for Drobot? What do you make of the last six commits coming from the Manitoba or Saskatchewan leagues? I know some of the kids are actually from the maritimes but it makes me a bit nervous when Maine goes heavy from one area.
                  Herner is Stephen Cochrane 2.0 good kid not fast enough for this level if he likes Orono/coaches/practice squad he will stay around, Spicer & Hock RSing, Moran has one more year of juniors, Pappalardo up to him if he comes back next year. Drobot and Papparlardo have completely different games. Pappalardo and Hock are more likely in competition with one another. Pappalardo played a phenomenal game at Lowell this year. Other than Tralmaks he was the best player on the ice that game. Could he make a Robbins type jump his Jr year? Possibly, but depth is an issue for him and he still has some speed issues. As it sits today tough to see where he is anything other than injury security. All depends how hard he works and if he is willing to wait for his opportunity. I expect Becker will graduate this year and move on, in which case Spicer is likely the guy to gill the role of the 7/8th defenseman (Assuming just one of Butala/Kleiboer) comes next fall.

Remember teams get 18 "full" scholarships which means some players get partial rides. Every year at this time of year there are last minute "wheeling and dealings" with recruits. Ripple effects happen which push a recruit back a year. If player doesn't want to play another year of juniors they go and look for another opportunity. We benefited last year by getting Tiuraniemi because of this. The average NCAA hockey roster is 29 we have 31 so our roster size is pretty normal. Maine has been well below that for quite some time. When rosters are thin the reason is kids don't want to come and play as a walk on, or put more bluntly your program is not attractive. Maine struggled with this for almost a decade. Paying attention to the recruiting trail provides early indicators a team is headed in a positive direction, however those recruits still need to show up and continue to develop. Development is a key component. As well all sit her on this forum chatting about shortcoming here and shortcoming there of the current roster, we all must remember that the core talent is FR & SO and 2 years from now they will not be the same players we see today.

The commits we have recently got out of Canada are a great demonstration of Guite/Michaud talent identification and recruiting ability. To compete at a high level in NCAA hockey is more difficult than ever and recruiting is key to competing. Starts with culture in the locker room, then talent not just impact freshman but players who will be around to provide an impact as seniors. Nothing to be nervous about.
                  UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                    For UMaine, new recruits for next season are pretty unlikely at this point. We are pretty well locked in, especially at D. If an obvious roster upgrade presents itself that is a different story. The one thing to keep an eye on is Michel and Holway. I left the Alfond last Saturday night and pretty much said goodbye to Michel. I think he will be offered a contract and sign, as he should. I'm a little on the fence about Holway, but ultimately I think Detroit sees enough room for improvement that at least another year at UMaine is in order. Becker is likely to graduate. So we need to replace Hamilton, Michel, Becker is this scenario.

Assessing the current situation Butala (Hamilton), Kleiboer (Michel), and Spicer (Becker). Palmer has one more year of junior eligibility and is a good player no doubt, i've watched him play a couple of times. Ultimately he doesn't represent an obvious roster upgrade and Maine doesn't have enough $ left to get him to Orono. He is likely to get more $ (a half to full ride) from another school . Palmer is your classic Norm Bazin type pickup (which more and more teams are doing now). Also Atlantic Hockey with their 18 scholarships now and many schools with new infrastructure projects completed/underway/planned should not be taken lightly going forward.
                    UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                      For UMaine, new recruits for next season are pretty unlikely at this point. We are pretty well locked in, especially at D. If an obvious roster upgrade presents itself that is a different story. The one thing to keep an eye on is Michel and Holway. I left the Alfond last Saturday night and pretty much said goodbye to Michel. I think he will be offered a contract and sign, as he should. I'm a little on the fence about Holway, but ultimately I think Detroit sees enough room for improvement that at least another year at UMaine is in order. Becker is likely to graduate. So we need to replace Hamilton, Michel, Becker is this scenario.

Assessing the current situation Butala (Hamilton), Kleiboer (Michel), and Spicer (Becker). Palmer has one more year of junior eligibility and is a good player no doubt, i've watched him play a couple of times. Ultimately he doesn't represent an obvious roster upgrade and Maine doesn't have enough $ left to get him to Orono. He is likely to get more $ (a half to full ride) from another school . Palmer is your classic Norm Bazin type pickup (which more and more teams are doing now). Also Atlantic Hockey with their 18 scholarships now and many schools with new infrastructure projects completed/underway/planned should not be taken lightly going forward.
                      Great posts BHall44. I want to know if you see the same thing I do... If I project a starting line up I see 63 percent of starting line up being from USHL. That trend may or may not increase. But it may be the highest it has been for Maine? I guess there is a correlation. I'll go ahead and post what I see for a line up scenario next season(assuming Michel comes back)... And star indicates did not play in USHL...

Forwards =>

Fossier/Pearson/Schmit-Svestrup
                      Tralmaks/Doherty*/Dawe
                      Westerlund/Pieper*/Robbins*
                      Drobot/Shea*/Smith

BackUp: Housakos*/Holesinsky*/Perez*/Quinlivan*/Hock*/Poppalardo*

Defense =>

Keeper*/Michel*
                      Binner/Holway
                      Butala/Muehlbauer*

BackUp: VMT/Spicer/Becker*/Herner*

Goalies=>

Swayman

BackUp: McGovern*/Mundinger*

Comment

Also, looks like Keeper's younger brother is leading scoring on OCN hockey team in MJHL. Can we expect to see him play for Maine too? Might not be scholarship, but Maine has a history of getting brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post

Michel is not even close to a pro nhl defensemen. He has no ounce of defensive mentality and any kind of anchoring. Compared to others in the line up. Keeper is our best d man bare none. Lose Michel not that big of a loss. Lose Tralmaks, that sucks. Which is the worst of all probable causes. He wasn't drafted, you know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                            Michel is not even close to a pro nhl defensemen. He has no ounce of defensive mentality and any kind of anchoring. Compared to others in the line up. Keeper is our best d man bare none. Lose Michel not that big of a loss. Lose Tralmaks, that sucks. Which is the worst of all probable causes. He wasn't drafted, you know that.
                            Michel was the difference Saturday night. It’s interesting Maine played so well when he was out though.

Comment

Michel was the difference Saturday night. It’s interesting Maine played so well when he was out though.
                              On offense, yes. I think he has been fantastic playing point there. But I feel in his own zone he isn't strong in battles, doesn't pin well, and doesn't clear in front of the blue paint enough. I really am not knocking him as a college player, but I think he has a big hurdle ahead of him as a nhl defensemen. But who knows... I am often wrong.

Comment

Red is the one who recruited Herner, now he tells him he has no chance to play?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X