Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 613

Thread: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

  1. #341
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    4,586
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    The kid just committed won't play until 20/21. Imagine Swayman is either left early that season or we are lucky in that he plays senior season. Plus, as you mentioned about Thiessen, Langford might play a year of juniors after he graduates.

    Now that I read some old articles and combine it with his age it seems likely Thiessen can only come in 19/20 at the earliest. So that lines up well as McGovern would graduate at the end of next season.



    https://steinbachonline.com/local-sp...tthew-thiessen
    Iím not sure Swayman staying his senior year would be a good thing and he might be on a plan to graduate in three years. I wonder if he tries to sign next summer and Langford comes in a year early. He is a 2001 so would think he would be eligible.

  2. #342
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    49

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    2 UMaine commits on NHL Central Scouting

    http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1375373
    Svejstrup went from 157 to 205. Same thing happened to Binner last year. Silver lining may be that these kids stay for 4 years rather than leave early. I still think Maine needs to have a couple of the one and done type in the mix, along with the diamond in the rough guys like Keeper and Tralmaks.

  3. #343
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,737

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    I would think that Swayman stays around for 3 seasons and leaves after his Junior season.

  4. #344
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Why do you think Dawe gets no love from the NHL?
    Too small, I bet. He could be a guy if he shows well in college that signs as an undrafted free agent and puts together either a solid but non-spectacular career spanning several years, or a guy who has a great season or two then flames out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    I would think that Swayman stays around for 3 seasons and leaves after his Junior season.
    This is what i expect to happen as well.

  5. #345
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    I would think that Swayman stays around for 3 seasons and leaves after his Junior season.
    This is most likely and what I was thinking too. If we look at Jimmy Howard, we see a goalie drafted higher, had a lot of international experience with world juniors, and set save percentage and goals against average records for a single NCAA season as a sophmore... And he came back but left after junior year. So my guess is Bruins will be content with Swayman developing at Maine until after junior year.

    Also, Thiessen is playing game 4 of the MJHL finals tonight. Had a good game 3 to get his team back in the series... down 1-2. Hopefully he closes out strong.

  6. #346
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    Too small, I bet. He could be a guy if he shows well in college that signs as an undrafted free agent and puts together either a solid but non-spectacular career spanning several years, or a guy who has a great season or two then flames out.



    This is what i expect to happen as well.
    So, I was able to watch the rerun of the regular season finally which was Sioux Falls vs. Fargo. Drobot had a goal on a tip in of a point shot while screening the goalie. Dawe had a great game with many nifty passes and a couple nice shots but couldnt get on the score sheet. For all his hard work he was rewarded with a friendly fire to his face from a re-directed shot from the point. He was slow to get back to the bench. But he was able to finish the game and play a few more shifts. Seems like a tough kid, seems to not play small. Scrappy, he got a roughing penalty in a scrum with John Shuldt, a 6'4" 215 lbs defensemen. Gave up 55 lbs and 9 inches of height and still tangled with him, even talking with him while in the box. In the end, Ben Meyer was the difference maker as he was the only one to score on the shootout to give Fargo the W.

    Also, Thiessen backstopped a 4-0 Steinbech win to even the championship series at 2 games each. Thiessen is pretty sound technically, but his glove is great too. He showed a couple nice glove saves. Virden rink is interesting, it has standing room mezzanines above the glass on each end... there wasn't a spot on that railing at either end. No doubt I'd be standing there if I could, sightlines must be great.
    Last edited by BlackI; 04-16-2018 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added Thiessen info from MJHL finals game 4

  7. #347
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    49

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    So, I was able to watch the rerun of the regular season finally which was Sioux Falls vs. Fargo. Drobot had a goal on a tip in of a point shot while screening the goalie. Dawe had a great game with many nifty passes and a couple nice shots but couldnt get on the score sheet. For all his hard work he was rewarded with a friendly fire to his face from a re-directed shot from the point. He was slow to get back to the bench. But he was able to finish the game and play a few more shifts. Seems like a tough kid, seems to not play small. Scrappy, he got a roughing penalty in a scrum with John Shuldt, a 6'4" 215 lbs defensemen. Gave up 55 lbs and 9 inches of height and still tangled with him, even talking with him while in the box. In the end, Ben Meyer was the difference maker as he was the only one to score on the shootout to give Fargo the W.

    Also, Thiessen backstopped a 4-0 Steinbech win to even the championship series at 2 games each. Thiessen is pretty sound technically, but his glove is great too. He showed a couple nice glove saves. Virden rink is interesting, it has standing room mezzanines above the glass on each end... there wasn't a spot on that railing at either end. No doubt I'd be standing there if I could, sightlines must be great.
    Thanks for the report. Does anyone have any idea why JSS didn't play in the second game of the series (season finale)?

  8. #348
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by dogtagger View Post
    Thanks for the report. Does anyone have any idea why JSS didn't play in the second game of the series (season finale)?
    With most standings settled many teams sat key players and gave time to guys who were their depth or recently added players

  9. #349
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    49

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    So, I was able to watch the rerun of the regular season finally which was Sioux Falls vs. Fargo.
    I just noticed Fargo has a good YouTube channel with highlights of some of the games;

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-RkKJWy7dY
    Last edited by dogtagger; 04-17-2018 at 03:42 PM.

  10. #350
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Thumbs up Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by dogtagger View Post
    I just noticed Fargo has a good YouTube channel with highlights of some of the games;

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-RkKJWy7dY
    Very cool. There is a lot of info out there, I'm just not great at mining it all. So post what you find. I find it enjoyable to see how future black bears play.

    One thing I have noticed lately is Drobot's play is picking up. Has 5 goals in the last 9 games. Hopefully he keeps that momentum going during the playoffs.

    Another thing you will find is Fargo YouTube is only showing their team in its best light. So for example, in the game you gave link for you will notice there are no good highlights for the Stampede or any of Dawe making good plays. But it's their channel so this is understandable.

  11. #351
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Thumbs up Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by dogtagger View Post
    I just noticed Fargo has a good YouTube channel with highlights of some of the games;

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-RkKJWy7dY
    Great play tonight, JSS has a goal, Drobot with a goal, Dawe with an assist... So far

  12. #352
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Great play tonight, JSS has a goal, Drobot with a goal, Dawe with an assist... So far
    Drobot plays all end of the ice. He is a great penalty killer too. 200 ft player.

    Tenacious bulldog. He will easily be a fan favorite at Alfond.
    Last edited by BlackI; 04-18-2018 at 02:56 AM.

  13. #353
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    If I understand this correctly, Thiessen is the only MJHL player ranked in the final central scouting ratings...
    http://www.mjhlhockey.ca/pistons-thi...ntral-scouting

    As DogTagger pointed out, you can find Fargo highlights on YouTube, here are highlights from last night's game. Schmidt-Svestrup goal is difficult to see because he redirected a point slapper in mid slot area... Drobot had a goal and an assist.
    https://youtu.be/t9QInEfLHNg

  14. #354
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Theissen now has 0.941 save percentage and 1.64 goals against average in the playoffs to put his team up three games to two in the MJHL finals.

    Virden had a chance to cut the lead to one, but Matthew Thiessen made his best of the playoffs as he lay sprawled out on his back and robbed a Virden player with his glove.

    “He gives us a chance to win every night,” Wilson said of Thiessen. “He made that big save, and we just fed off that.”
    http://www.steinbachpistons.ca/pisto...game-5-victory

    Dawe scored two goals last night in an OT loss where Sioux Falls got knocked out of USHL playoffs. He is tied for team lead in scoring in playoffs with 3g 2a for 5 points in 3 games.

  15. #355
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Theissen now has 0.941 save percentage and 1.64 goals against average in the playoffs to put his team up three games to two in the MJHL finals.



    http://www.steinbachpistons.ca/pisto...game-5-victory

    Dawe scored two goals last night in an OT loss where Sioux Falls got knocked out of USHL playoffs. He is tied for team lead in scoring in playoffs with 3g 2a for 5 points in 3 games.
    I originally envisioned Dawe starting the year on the third line, but he might bump Shea down to the third line and start on the second.

  16. #356
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    I originally envisioned Dawe starting the year on the third line, but he might bump Shea down to the third line and start on the second.
    I don't know, but it is fun to throw line ups out there. Dawe appears to be a crafty gifted playmaker and scorer, so it is hard to imagine him on the 4th line. Seems like the type you need to match up with talent that can take advantage of his playmaking.

    I thought maybe Shea would be a good third line center. Here is what I think could be a nice line up.

    Fossier/Pearson/Tralmaks
    Schmidt-Svestrup/Doherty*/Dawe
    Westerlund/Shea/Robbins*
    Drobot/Pieper*/Smith

    Reserves: Housakos/Holesinsky*/Perez*/Quinlivan*/Hock*/Poppalardo*

    Michel*/Keeper*
    Binner/Holway
    Butala/Muehlbauer*

    Reserves: Kleiboer*/VMT/Spicer/Becker*/Herner*

    Swayman

    Reserves: McGovern*/Mundinger*

  17. #357
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Next week recruits Renwick and Morrissey will be playing in the Telus Cup and games can be viewed here: https://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca

    Schedule can be founder here: https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/na...stats/schedule

    Monday 3:30 pm
    Tuesday: 7 pm
    Wednesday: 3:30 pm
    Thursday: 12 pm
    Friday: 12 pm

    I will only be able to watch Tuesday night more than likely. So if others watch and want to give insights it would be appreciated by most I am sure.

  18. #358
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    If you go to the 1 minute mark you can see a great save by Thiessen in game 5 of the MJHL series the other day.

    https://youtu.be/rGL2a76Mc7c

    Game 6 is tonight, and Steinbach can win the championship with a win tonight.

  19. #359
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Thiessen backstops Steinbach to MJHL championship...
    https://pembinavalleyonline.com/loca...l-championship

  20. #360
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,737

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    I don't know, but it is fun to throw line ups out there. Dawe appears to be a crafty gifted playmaker and scorer, so it is hard to imagine him on the 4th line. Seems like the type you need to match up with talent that can take advantage of his playmaking.

    I thought maybe Shea would be a good third line center. Here is what I think could be a nice line up.

    Fossier/Pearson/Tralmaks
    Schmidt-Svestrup/Doherty*/Dawe
    Westerlund/Shea/Robbins*
    Drobot/Pieper*/Smith

    Reserves: Housakos/Holesinsky*/Perez*/Quinlivan*/Hock*/Poppalardo*

    Michel*/Keeper*
    Binner/Holway
    Butala/Muehlbauer*

    Reserves: Kleiboer*/VMT/Spicer/Becker*/Herner*

    Swayman

    Reserves: McGovern*/Mundinger*
    Holesinsky could be a wild card in playing time if healthy.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •