Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Interesting...last year Swayman was rated #12...and he did a fine job once he became the starting goalie for Maine..."HOPEFULLY" this bodes well for Maine to have two outstanding goalies once they are together, I would think that Swayman is @ Maine for 3 seasons...just imo on that.
    Not sure where Thiessen gets drafted, since some things I've read claim this isn't a draft with a lot of top end talent in goal but it is considered deep position. So will be interesting to see where/if he gets drafted. I wonder how much the injury will factor into things. Evidently he couldn't participate in Dubuque's tryout camp in USHL. But I agree, that combo seems as solid as solid gets. Got to love the talent in goal combined with Alfie grooming the Maine goalies. Get some staunch defense going and Maine could be back in contention for HE title and NCAA playoff spots.
    Last edited by BlackI; 06-10-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Not sure where Thiessen gets drafted, since some things I've read claim this isn't a draft with a lot of top end talent in goal but it is considered deep position. So will be interesting to see where/if he gets drafted. I wonder how much the injury will factor into things. Evidently he couldn't participate in Dubuque's tryout camp in USHL. But I agree, that combo seems as solid as solid gets. Got to love the talent in goal combined with Alfie grooming the Maine goalies. Get some staunch defense going and Maine could be back in contention for HE title and NCAA playoff spots.
    Agreed, solid in net and get the defense back in order and good things can happen...defense wins in the playoffs and NCAA's and oh yes you do need players to put the puck in the net also...but solid defense/goaltending is where to start a foundation of winning.

... and oh yes you do need players to put the puck in the net also...
    I don't think that will be a problem for this year's squad. The two incoming forwards, JSS and Dawe, are gifted skill sets of hands.

Hoping Butala and Spicer can give defensive defenseman flavor, though counting on rooks for that isn't a great plan. Who coaches defense at Maine on the ice?

Called the Ticket Box Office today, ask them about the upcoming hockey schedule...had seen some by a Quinnipiac poster and called to find out if all is in order...was told there could be some changes and that in 1 to 2 weeks the schedule should be out and finalize in a manner that everyone can count on it...myself I try to figure dates so I can be at all the homes games possible....but anyways a little tidbit on the schedule to date.

Called the Ticket Box Office today, ask them about the upcoming hockey schedule...had seen some by a Quinnipiac poster and called to find out if all is in order...was told there could be some changes and that in 1 to 2 weeks the schedule should be out and finalize in a manner that everyone can count on it...myself I try to figure dates so I can be at all the homes games possible....but anyways a little tidbit on the schedule to date.
    Ramp up. I have a feeling we got great winning spirits. Just wish coach would bring in Drobot, because he wins.

Gene Reilly is head coach now in USHL...
    https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...sen/699757002/

I think you could be right that Thiessen does not get Drafted next weekend...been following the NHL Network and they say there will be a lot of Goaltenders to choose from...imo "IF/When " Thiessen gets Drafted will be in the late rounds. {late 6th rd. - late 7th rd.---Maybe a team with multi picks from the 5th round on will take a flyer on him, as usual just imo}.

I think you could be right that Thiessen does not get Drafted next weekend...been following the NHL Network and they say there will be a lot of Goaltenders to choose from...imo "IF/When " Thiessen gets Drafted will be in the late rounds. {late 6th rd. - late 7th rd.---Maybe a team with multi picks from the 5th round on will take a flyer on him, as usual just imo}.
    It is a reasonable and fair opinion. Let's hope he gets drafted!

For example, Keeper wasn't drafted. Anyone feel 100% confident he will be in a Maine jersey next year?

For example, Keeper wasn't drafted. Anyone feel 100% confident he will be in a Maine jersey next year?
    I think for this upcoming season yes...beyond that is quite iffy.

I think for this upcoming season yes...beyond that is quite iffy.
    Some rule changes. Most interesting is you can dress an extra skater...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Recommends.php

From BDN...

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/06/...nute-overtime/
    Last edited by BlackI; 06-16-2018 at 02:31 PM.

This site has Thiessen ranked 5th goalie overall in the draft...
    http://www.planetehockey.com/news-dr...ste,75078.html

Some rule changes. Most interesting is you can dress an extra skater...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Recommends.php

From BDN...

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/06/...nute-overtime/
    Saw that and wonder what the advantage to a extra skater will be and if the Coaches were pushing for it..?

This site has Thiessen ranked 5th goalie overall in the draft...
    http://www.planetehockey.com/news-dr...ste,75078.html
    Interesting, as I said watched a lot of the NHL Network and his name never came up {unless I missed his name} with all the available goalies through out the hockey playing world. But anyways if he gets Drafted only points that he is on NHL teams radar.

Saw that and wonder what the advantage to a extra skater will be and if the Coaches were pushing for it..?
    What does Maine goes for with the 19th skater? I would assume it would be a seventh dman, but maybe they to horses for courses with it.

I doubt this would happen, but why not let teams dress 23 skaters in the first four weeks or something like that? It would be good to give everyone a chance early in the season.

University of Maine Class of 2020

If by next year you mean the year about to start in a few months, then yes, I'd say I'm fully confident he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    What does Maine goes for with the 19th skater? I would assume it would be a seventh dman, but maybe they to horses for courses with it.

I doubt this would happen, but why not let teams dress 23 skaters in the first four weeks or something like that? It would be good to give everyone a chance early in the season.
    Well, I would imagine since 4 of the top 5 in penalty minutes were defensmen, then an extra defensemen would be great. Hopefully of the defensive defensemen variety that can block shots, clear net front, etc... to help kill penalties. That way when you have a defensemen get a penalty you arent losing a penalty killer.

There was no joy in Orono.

Extra skaters good injury insurance. And better for keeping the big rosters not disgruntled. Guy whos in a sweat suit in the stands will be ****ed, guy who dresses less so even if he only plays 2 shifts

This article states Thiessen's injury wasn't overly serious, which is good news...

https://ingoalmag.com/features/route...ior-a-goalies/

"Unfortunately, his tournament was cut short after he suffered a freak ankle injury while retreating back into his net after playing a puck. The injury wasn’t overly serious, but it was enough to have him walking with the aid of a crutch after the game. The Pistons were also the first team eliminated during round robin play, so Thiessen never received the second chance that he was hoping to get."

On Kawamura, not sure where he plays next season. This article makes it seem like the new coach in Powell River is high on him...
    http://www.prpeak.com/sports/powell-...ent-1.23295799

This article show Kawamura attended Sioux Falls camp in USHL...
    http://www.ksfy.com/content/sports/U...485204501.html

Keeper wasn't drafted. Anyone feel 100% confident he will be in a Maine jersey next year?
    I am quite confident. Currently a defensive liability playing his man and needs to learn to stay out of the box coupled with his age makes him a 3-4 year player and I am more bullish on the 4. Binner is morel likely to go early given his all around game, age, and current draft eligibility, even then I would expect him to play 3 years in orono.

Thread Information