Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 503

Thread: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

  1. #201
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,737

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by umhockey91 View Post
    You just couldn't help yourself with another baseless attack, eh?
    See below. We all bleed Blue, my brother.

  2. #202
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    My bad, no need for me to insult a fellow Bear. We all want the same thing here.
    I accept your apology.

  3. #203
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Bhall44, how did Roy do?

  4. #204
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Theissen top ranked cjhl netminder in mid-term central scouting rankings:
    http://www.steinbachpistons.ca/pisto...ntral-scouting

    Looks like he started for team west in cjhl prospect game and gave up one goal in a half of a game worth of action.

  5. #205
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Log time since i posted a recruit update. Work has been quite hectic. Unfortunately tracking and reporting UMaine hockey recruits doesn't pay the bills! Anyway....

    BlackI took care of Thiessen update for me (Thanks). Also appearing on the Mid Term Central Scouting ranks North American Skaters is The Great Dane (159), Binner (210), and Westerlund (209). Also of note is that Tralmaks is in his final year of eligibility (Euro rule) and Central Scouting does not include his birth year in rankings. Typically teams will wait and negotiate with a player as a free agent however occasionally a team falls in love with a player and doesn't want to risk free agency so they grab that player late. Doesn't happen a lot due to circumstance but this is certainly a possibility this year. No glaring omissions of any player with UMaine ties. Adam Dawe, tied for 10th in USHL goals, not on the list but not surprising given his size. NHL teams are still leary of small players that aren't in the top 5% of speedsters.

    Trivia questions of the day: "When was the last time an active UMaine player was drafted in the NHL?"....... There is a very good chance an active UMaine players is drafted in 2018. Binner is most likely given his age, surprising pass over last year, and now has proven his ability in his first NCAA season. Oh yeah, answer to question is Danis-Pepin in 2006.

    Around the junior leagues Maine has been struck by the injury bug. The Great Dane, Kawamura, Butala, have all missed significant time recently. Nothing major to report as all are expected to return. Anyone in the Southern Maine/NH/Boston area looking to check out some dynamic future black bears in person should check out Lynden Breen and Nick Capone. The two are having terrific prep seasons to date. Jump on their respective school web sites for schedule. For example, New Hampton will play Kents Hill at the University of Southern Maine on Feb 11. 1:30pm.

  6. #206
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    Trivia questions of the day: "When was the last time an active UMaine player was drafted in the NHL?"....... There is a very good chance an active UMaine players is drafted in 2018. Binner is most likely given his age, surprising pass over last year, and now has proven his ability in his first NCAA season. Oh yeah, answer to question is Danis-Pepin in 2006.
    Binner is youngest player on the team, just like Danis-Pepin. I am very surprised Binner got overlooked. With Danis-Pepin he had a uncoordination he had to grow out of. But I see strong skating skills with Binner. Needs to be more physical and be willing to block shots to round out his game. I am sure he will develop that player for Maine in hockey east. He's had a strong impact given his age. Some other first year players are two years older than he is.

  7. #207
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    HUGE get for UMaine today! Tim Gould ('00) from Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL) committed. Easily one of the most sought after D-men in SJHL this year. I have been watching this guy all year and given our affinity for recruiting kids from the Hounds was hoping we were making a play for him. When we committed Kleiboer I assumed we lost out on Gould and was more than a little disappointed!! Tim can really shoot the puck and move the puck with the best of them. Good skater and takes good angles. Plays physical when needed. Room to add strength to his frame. Hails from Moncton area. Has ability to arrive next year as true freshman but given current roster dynamics (early departures & current commits) would expect a year in USHL and Orono arrival 2019/20 arrival. Along with Kleiboer, Gould participated in Canada West (U-19) training camp this year a full 2 years younger than the former. NHL draft eligible for the first time this season. Will likely get looks in later rounds but given trend of drafter later age players more likely to pop up on central scouting radar for 2019 draft.

    http://www.notredamehounds.ca/news_a...rrer_id=618263
    Last edited by Bhall44; 02-07-2018 at 01:48 PM.

  8. #208
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Thumbs up Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    HUGE get for UMaine today! Tim Gould ('00) from Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL) committed. Easily one of the most sought after D-men in SJHL this year. I have been watching this guy all year and given our affinity for recruiting kids from the Hounds was hoping we were making a play for him. When we committed Kleiboer I assumed we lost out on Gould and was more than a little disappointed!! Tim can really shoot the puck and move the puck with the best of them. Good skater and takes good angles. Plays physical when needed. Room to add strength to his frame. Hails from Moncton area. Has ability to arrive next year as true freshman but given current roster dynamics (early departures & current commits) would expect a year in USHL and Orono arrival 2019/20 arrival. Along with Kleiboer, Gould participated in Canada West (U-19) training camp this year a full 2 years younger than the former. NHL draft eligible for the first time this season. Will likely get looks in later rounds but given trend of drafter later age players more likely to pop up on central scouting radar for 2019 draft.

    http://www.notredamehounds.ca/news_a...rrer_id=618263
    Highlights...


    https://youtu.be/6jcT84or1YU

    And also this one...


  9. #209
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Also had a chance to watch the Sioux Falls/Fargo game last night. These two teams are really developing quite the rivalry. Very good action throughout the night. Adam Dawe had a shot deflected past the goalie for an assist but was bottled up for most of the night. Fargo dmen played him tight all night and limited his space as much as possible. I would like to see him add extra speed to his game. He does a very good job working and creating in tight spaces but could use the extra element of speed separation to his game. Although he was not able to convert, Ben Meyers was all over the ice and seemingly getting shots at will (6 total). He is seeing the game much better than the start of the season. AJ Drobot has really gelled with Ryan Savage and this line is producing offensively. Drobot has 4G-1A in last 6 GP. Drobot plays with great grit and determination. Reminds me of a mix of Pieper and Cam Brown, definitely a better skater than Brown.

  10. #210
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    HUGE get for UMaine today! Tim Gould ('00) from Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL) committed. Easily one of the most sought after D-men in SJHL this year. I have been watching this guy all year and given our affinity for recruiting kids from the Hounds was hoping we were making a play for him. When we committed Kleiboer I assumed we lost out on Gould and was more than a little disappointed!! Tim can really shoot the puck and move the puck with the best of them. Good skater and takes good angles. Plays physical when needed. Room to add strength to his frame. Hails from Moncton area. Has ability to arrive next year as true freshman but given current roster dynamics (early departures & current commits) would expect a year in USHL and Orono arrival 2019/20 arrival. Along with Kleiboer, Gould participated in Canada West (U-19) training camp this year a full 2 years younger than the former. NHL draft eligible for the first time this season. Will likely get looks in later rounds but given trend of drafter later age players more likely to pop up on central scouting radar for 2019 draft.

    http://www.notredamehounds.ca/news_a...rrer_id=618263
    It is nice to get recruits from eastern Canada. After Sweetland I figured we would start a trend and it would be a natural attraction for eastern canadians. Hopefully the trend can continue. I think there are four eastern Canadian recruits now set to come in(hopefully none opt for major junior)...

    Adam Dawe, Gander, NL
    Brad Morrissey, Tignish, PEI
    Lynden Breen, Grand Bay-Westfield, NB
    Tim Gould, Riverview, NB

  11. #211
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    It is nice to get recruits from eastern Canada. After Sweetland I figured we would start a trend and it would be a natural attraction for eastern canadians. Hopefully the trend can continue. I think there are four eastern Canadian recruits now set to come in(hopefully none opt for major junior)...

    Adam Dawe, Gander, NL
    Brad Morrissey, Tignish, PEI
    Lynden Breen, Grand Bay-Westfield, NB
    Tim Gould, Riverview, NB
    Dallas Farrell, Montague, PEI

  12. #212
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    Also had a chance to watch the Sioux Falls/Fargo game last night. These two teams are really developing quite the rivalry. Very good action throughout the night. Adam Dawe had a shot deflected past the goalie for an assist but was bottled up for most of the night. Fargo dmen played him tight all night and limited his space as much as possible. I would like to see him add extra speed to his game. He does a very good job working and creating in tight spaces but could use the extra element of speed separation to his game. Although he was not able to convert, Ben Meyers was all over the ice and seemingly getting shots at will (6 total). He is seeing the game much better than the start of the season. AJ Drobot has really gelled with Ryan Savage and this line is producing offensively. Drobot has 4G-1A in last 6 GP. Drobot plays with great grit and determination. Reminds me of a mix of Pieper and Cam Brown, definitely a better skater than Brown.
    I watched that game too. With patriots done, I figured I needed another bad habit so I am trying out the hockey tv. I figure for 30 dollars if i can watch a game per day it is a dollar a day.

    On Dawe, he seems nifty and has good vision and awareness. Seems like he can see where to be before it is obvious to most. I didn't see him show much speed as you mentioned. But I wonder if it is more about he plays with poise. I think he might be a player that just doesn't need to go all out to generate plays. Looked to me like that anyways. Plus his team had a pretty big lead for a while and that team played conservative and tried to choke the nuetral zone to preserve the 3 goal lead. He took a big shot and got back up, so seems tough.

    Drobot was on top penalty kill, one one of the power play units, took a lot of face offs. He seems to be a complete player and seems stronge on his skates. I noticed he went to the net front a lot and was scrappy there. No doubt he will be a favorite of Reds.

    On Meyer I noticed his skating first. Seems like a very smooth and efficient skater, able to cover a lot of ice. Seems like a good frame even though I didn't see him hitting that much. Looks like they like to sneak him down on the right doorstep on the power play. And use him as a set up man from down behind the goal line on power play. I didn't see him killing penalties and didn't notice a lot of back checking.

    I was disappointer Schmidt-Svejstrup wasnt playing. It looks like he hasnt played in a month. I guess he got a serious injury???

  13. #213
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    Dallas Farrell, Montague, PEI
    Doh!

    Make it 5, even better!

  14. #214
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Doh!

    Make it 5, even better!
    Also 5 recruits with connections to the Hounds (Dawe, Farrell, Gould, Morrissey, Renwick). Four of the five from Atlantic Canada. Also worth noting that Carson Mackinnon, and Ethan Crossman were apart of the Atlantic Canada/Notre Dame Hounds recruit pipeline at one point and chose the Major Junior route. Due to age Dawe, Farrell, and Gould are pretty comfortably going the NCAA route. Breen, Morrissey and Renwick could still be enticed. Breen is the most important one to keep and eye. He is a game changer.

  15. #215
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    Also 5 recruits with connections to the Hounds (Dawe, Farrell, Gould, Morrissey, Renwick). Four of the five from Atlantic Canada. Also worth noting that Carson Mackinnon, and Ethan Crossman were apart of the Atlantic Canada/Notre Dame Hounds recruit pipeline at one point and chose the Major Junior route. Due to age Dawe, Farrell, and Gould are pretty comfortably going the NCAA route. Breen, Morrissey and Renwick could still be enticed. Breen is the most important one to keep and eye. He is a game changer.
    Looks like a younger brother also in the Hounds AA and a handful of AAA games. Looks like he played AAA game yesterday. It is a Gould from same hometown, Riverview, NB.

  16. #216
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    Also 5 recruits with connections to the Hounds (Dawe, Farrell, Gould, Morrissey, Renwick). Four of the five from Atlantic Canada. Also worth noting that Carson Mackinnon, and Ethan Crossman were apart of the Atlantic Canada/Notre Dame Hounds recruit pipeline at one point and chose the Major Junior route. Due to age Dawe, Farrell, and Gould are pretty comfortably going the NCAA route. Breen, Morrissey and Renwick could still be enticed. Breen is the most important one to keep and eye. He is a game changer.
    On Breen, I'm not sure how it works. I see an article where they are confident he is playing near his hometown in qmjhl. But it also said he would be playing there this year. Since he didn't I wonder if this is a sign he is more likely to play college hockey???

    http://stationnation.blogspot.com/20...a-battles.html

  17. #217
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    Also 5 recruits with connections to the Hounds (Dawe, Farrell, Gould, Morrissey, Renwick). Four of the five from Atlantic Canada. Also worth noting that Carson Mackinnon, and Ethan Crossman were apart of the Atlantic Canada/Notre Dame Hounds recruit pipeline at one point and chose the Major Junior route. Due to age Dawe, Farrell, and Gould are pretty comfortably going the NCAA route. Breen, Morrissey and Renwick could still be enticed. Breen is the most important one to keep and eye. He is a game changer.
    This article makes it seem less likely Morrissey comes to UMaine...

    http://www.journalpioneer.com/sports...-chosen-62053/

  18. #218
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    More info on Gould...

    4-Tim Gould, Notre Dame

    Gould is a 2000 born defenseman, so he’s a year younger than most Junior ‘A’ rookies. He also completed his academic schooling in eleven years, not the usual twelve. His off-ice maturity is already beyond what you would expect and his on-ice acumen is up there too. He still needs to fill out his physical frame, but he was the only player to drop the mitts over the course of two days, showing his intensity. He did so, despite nursing a serious gash on his eye (result of a high stick from Saturday).
    LINK - http://www.rodpedersen.com/2018/01/7...-showcase.html

    The more I read the more it sounds like a great recruit. dropped gloves, played with split eye, finished school early. My god, this is exactly the kind of players we want to wear a Maine jersey.

    Only 3 defensemen in that league(playing at least 20 games so far) are younger than Gould. And his stats blow their's away. I wonder if his plan is to play USHL hockey next season? Seems like it would be a better challenge.
    Last edited by BlackI; 02-08-2018 at 02:43 PM.

  19. #219
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    319

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    This article makes it seem less likely Morrissey comes to UMaine...

    http://www.journalpioneer.com/sports...-chosen-62053/
    Been many articles about Morrissey and Brett Budgell who just left Chicgao (USHL) to head to Islanders (QMJHL). Based on the people I have talked to I wouldn't draw conclusions based on that article. Still not a slam dunk but I would not confer with your statement at this point either.

  20. #220
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    i saw the same thing on twitter. safe to say it is best not to believe everything you read on twitter. if Beck is quick to decommit/offer removed than it will be 19/20. otherwise thiessen is most likely to arrive 20-21. the further in time a recruit is from coming the more difficult it is to project when they will arrive. depending on recruit development and early departures these things change. sometimes a recruit decommits because they are asked to come a year later than previously agreed upon.
    I watched the Brookings game to see Sasson play for first time. Sasson had a good game where he scored a goal. Went to the net and banged in two shots backhanded while being taken down and the second got through the goalies pads. Pesky goal. He won a lot of draws at center, covered a lot of ice, full 200 foot player. He took a lot of shifts late in a tight game where his coach appeared to roll only two lines the final 5 minutes of regulation and until his team scored in OT. Looks like a good skater and good at moving puck through neutral zone.

    I was hoping to see Beck. Then I noticed he wasnt on their roster. So I looked on NAHL site at transactions and saw he was released. I wonder what that is all about?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •