Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Capone doesn't blow my hair back.

Not seeing much in general to impress me among the recruits, but I don't know a lot re: Juniors. All I can do from here is to look at the numbers and the odd game or two.

But the enthusiasm about all the "talent" Red has brought-in puzzles me. This year's team will almost certainly finish with a losing season, and if Red could recruit, some serious talent should be showing-up by now.
    Genuine question...is this satire?

University of Maine Class of 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Genuine question...is this satire?
    I'm sure you know that, coming from Fish, he is dead serious when typing this.

Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

It comes down to winning and winning that puts you on the map in Post Season play in the Conference that your in and with a chance at a NCAA Bid each and every year...has not happen @ Maine...so recruiting has been "IFFY" with you take what's out there and HOPE that you fine that diamond in the rough. Money is a issue also, a new building would not hurt and location/location/location...the hockey scene has changed in many ways. Maine is to some a hard sell. That's where winning/playing Post Season Hockey is a must and doing it on a regular basis. The only part that I take out of this 1st half...is that we may have solved the goaltending area {Swayman}...with that said it's still only the 1st half, but I like the kid...he comes to play and you can see he wants to be the factor in changing Maine's losing ways...so kudo's to him and great he gets a chance to go to the WJC in Buffalo...that along with the experience he's gaining this season bolds well that he's a foundation piece and step forward for Maine. I guess its sad to say that 8-7-1 is a good feeling, but myself I figured Maine's record would have been less then that { I had figure a 6-10-0 record before the season }. So I guess if they were to mirror the 2nd half and finish 16-14-2, that would be a positive...some negatives do come out but only to show facts and not to wish the Team ill will...lets hope they are ready for the 6 game road trip to begin the 2nd half as they can't take anyone lightly and at the same time remember the 2nd half finish, but we shall see...the game is on the ice...lets Go Maine..!

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

I'm all about optimism when it's warranted, but yeah, there's not a lot of evidence to support that.

The longer we all cross our fingers that Red will succeed, the longer we'll have to wait for Maine to get anywhere near respectable again.
    So Swayman plays a period in exhibition WJC game, makes 8 saves against a Swedish team favored to win it all, US wins 3-1, yeah he must suck. What do you want see? 92-93 ain't happening ever again in Orono. Shawn ain't walking thru that door. After 4 years I don't see Red making Maine a powerhouse again but they are better than last year. Any improvement is better than nothing
    http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_ar...rrer_id=695820
    Last edited by walrus; 12-23-2017 at 04:53 AM.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    So Swayman plays a period in exhibition WJC game, makes 8 saves against a Swedish team favored to win it all, US wins 3-1, yeah he must suck. What do you want see? 92-93 ain't happening ever again in Orono. Shawn ain't walking thru that door. After 4 years I don't see Red making Maine a powerhouse again but they are better than last year. Any improvement is better than nothing
    Good for Swayman, as I said before...the experience he gains at being in the WJC and around all these players from different University's will bold well for Maine & Swayman {imo}...he's a gamer and as far as improving...we are seeing bits and pieces and as you said...we will never/ever see a team like the 92-93 or a Coach in the mold of SW...he was one of a kind and I can say I was glad to witness those teams and the way he prepared each and ever time they played. This current team as is needs to improve there defense/penalty kill and those dreaded dumb penalty's...they really have no true sniper in the scoring department...Tralmaks is close to it but he is also streaky...so scoring needs to come from everyone...chipping in/ strong team defense and no brain cramps in the penalty's per game...not a star studded team but when your goaltending is solid, games can be won and confidence can grow.

If 92-93 happened again, Fishman would be complaining they weren't as good as the 01-02 Red Wings.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Maine fans are the biggest negative nellies on the planet.

Black Bear since D-2

If 92-93 happened again, Fishman would be complaining they weren't as good as the 01-02 Red Wings.
    No, I wouldn't..! I'd happily settle for an early-to-mid 2000's team right now.

But I'm not all-in on Red's recruits, either. Sure, as Wally said, this team is better than last year's, but that ain't saying much, now is it? Maine is no where near NCAA contention, despite the general giddiness on here.

100% of the Maine guys who play in the NHL are Timmy recruits. Red has Maine treading water so far, and I actually don't see an NHL guy on the current roster. I do hope I'm wrong right away, or that I'm right just as soon, because if Maine extends Red in the former case, we'll be looking at sub-mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

PS: Swayman is a gigantic improvement over McGovern, yes, and that's a long-overdue start to the rebuilding process. Without him, Maine is maybe 6-12, and all the sanguine posts on here never happened.

But I'm not all-in on Red's recruits, either. Sure, as Wally said, this team is better than last year's, but that ain't saying much, now is it? Maine is no where near NCAA contention, despite the general giddiness on here.

100% of the Maine guys who play in the NHL are Timmy recruits. Red has Maine treading water so far, and I actually don't see an NHL guy on the current roster. I do hope I'm wrong right away, or that I'm right just as soon, because if Maine extends Red in the former case, we'll be looking at sub-mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

PS: Swayman is a gigantic improvement over McGovern, yes, and that's a long-overdue start to the rebuilding process. Without him, Maine is maybe 6-12, and all the sanguine posts on here never happened.
    100% of Tims recruits in nhl are Grants recruits and or Shawn and Grants reputation. Has Red had a recruit graduate yet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by umhockey91 View Post
    Maine fans are the biggest negative nellies on the planet.
    Yes and No....more or less Maine Hockey fans are hooked on a Program from a different era when Maine had one of the best College Coaches the game has seen{Shawn Walsh}, plus a Recruiting Guru in Grant Stanbrook....and talent that rivaled none, to a point that when you would hear a recruit going or thinking about going to Maine made the other teams envious and to a degree of hate. But like anything else the landscape of College Hockey has changed, no more recruiting in 5-6 areas of the US and all of Canada, now they play hockey in all 50 States/Canada/Europe/etc....hockey is everywhere and PARITY is the word now in College Hockey...no more 6-7-8 teams will win it all that number could go as high as 16-20 that have the shot to win it all. Todays players want to play in New Buildings/ the social scene has changed also...maybe for the better in some regards but for teams like the Maine's/ LSSU/ N.Michigans/ etc. its a hard sell if your not winning/ playing for Hardware and NCAA Bids. Bottom line is Maine fans were spoiled in what we had back then. Negative...maybe?...but I think its more a passion to winning and showing the OTHER BIG TEAMS {Mich. Minn. N.Dak. BU BC Den.} that small schools can win the Championship in any given year. Facts are the Maine fans love the game of hockey and understand you can't win every year...but what they want is a product on the ice that plays hard/and plays for the name on the front of that Hockey Sweater. With THAT...Merry Christmas to all....GO USA in the WJC and hoping for a good start after the break on the road...GO MAINE..!!! Ho-Ho-ho..!

Did any of Timmy’s guys make a WJC squad? I consider Jimmy one of Shawn’s recruits and can’t think of any others. Red has had three in the last couple of years.

Black Bear since D-2

Did any of Timmy’s guys make a WJC squad? I consider Jimmy one of Shawn’s recruits and can’t think of any others. Red has had three in the last couple of years.
    Drew, it's great that Maine has placed a few guys on the WJC roster lately -I'm a big fan of Swayman so far- but that hasn't translated into Red getting anywhere near an NCAA berth, which is what success at the college level is all about.

Anyway, all you internet-nutcase Maine fans have a great Christmas. I'll send video from Troy before New Year's Eve, if "we" win!

Black Bear since D-2

100% of Tims recruits in nhl are Grants recruits and or Shawn and Grants reputation. Has Red had a recruit graduate yet?

If you don't have any early departures in this day and age, you haven't recruited very well...

(MC, Wally.)

If you don't have any early departures in this day and age, you haven't recruited very well...

(MC, Wally.)
    Maybe so, not sure I care if players leave early. Minnesota has them leave every year. Can't remember when they were close to winning a championship? The hole is deep in Orono. They aren't getting out of it easily or quickly.

Maybe so, not sure I care if players leave early. Minnesota has them leave every year. Can't remember when they were close to winning a championship? The hole is deep in Orono. They aren't getting out of it easily or quickly.

Agreed. Don’t think the ‘Kentucky’ model is for Maine.

Article on Maine commit Harrison Roy:

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1280228

Black Bear since D-2

I watch a lot of Gopher hockey, and what you say has been true for a while, but at least Minnesota is in the hunt every year... Not so, Maine.

Capone doesn't blow my hair back.

Not seeing much in general to impress me among the recruits, but I don't know a lot re: Juniors. All I can do from here is to look at the numbers and the odd game or two.

But the enthusiasm about all the "talent" Red has brought-in puzzles me. This year's team will almost certainly finish with a losing season, and if Red could recruit, some serious talent should be showing-up by now.
    Please can it. Stop being so GD negative.

University of Maine Class of 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Please can it. Stop being so GD negative.
    If it ain't Kariya, it ain't worth it for Fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    Article on Maine commit Harrison Roy:

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1280228
    Looking forward to see this recruit land here. Sounds like a good hard working guy, what every hockey team needs a roster full of. I must say that one thing Red seems to have improved upon is the player work ethic.

Thread Information