Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Originally posted by Deman View Post
    I think you, like Randy, should stick to what you know about.
    Wait, LakerBaker is Randy Russon...right?

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
      Wait, LakerBaker is Randy Russon...right?
      Nah, I don't think so. I do think that whoever Baker is, he is also involved with Randy over there like an editor or another sports-writing personality.
      LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Nah, I don't think so. I do think that whoever Baker is, he is also involved with Randy over there like an editor or another sports-writing personality.
        His site looks like a one-man show. Copied press releases are credited to "HockeyNewsNorth.com Staff," everything else to Russon.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
          The key word in this story is "unsubstantiated." So we have a huge article based upon "unsubstantiated" rumor & speculation. Brilliant piece of journalism. Here's a fact. Keep funding a program at the bottom of the barrel, you'll keep getting a program at the bottom of the barrel.

Not a very responsible article to me it's all about rumors.
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
            Not a very responsible article to me it's all about rumors.
            Right, rumors that he invented to achieve an end, as jsmithe demonstrated.

Fun fact: Among Russon's facebook friends are Owen Headrick and Headrick's mom, but no current Lakers players or coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post
              Coaching change at the Good Ship Laker?

Randy Russon explores the rampant rumours around the Michigan Soo regarding the firing of Damon Whitten.

http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ncaa/...te/#more-18127

Let us begin by providing the definition of the word rumour, which is aptly defined as “often being a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally.”

Well, rumours are rampant in the Michigan Soo that Lake Superior State Lakers of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association are contemplating a coaching change that would result in the dismissal of third-year bench boss Damon Whitten.

While there is nothing to substantiate what is being said, the calls for a coaching change to be made at Lake State are coming through loud and clear.

For starters, another season recently ended in disappointment for the Lakers, who were swept by the Michigan Tech Huskies in convincing fashion in the opening round of the playoffs, losing by 6-4 and 8-0 scores.

This is the third straight season that the Lakers have finished with a sub-par record under Whitten, who was brought in to replace the fired Jim Roque three years ago. But with Whitten at the helm, the Lakers have shown little improvement in the standings or in the win-loss column.

Under Whitten, the Lakers have finished ninth, seventh and seventh in the 10-team WCHA. The Lakers overall records in the three seasons with Whitten as head coach are all below the .500 mark — 8-28-2, 14-22-5 and 11-18-7.

Thus, the Lakers three-year record under Whitten stands at 33-68-14.

This season, the Lakers started out with five straight wins only to finish with just six more victories the rest of the way.

And not only have the Lakers been unable to win a single playoff series under Whitten, they have a 1-6 record.

But while Whitten has his detractors, there are those who have stepped up to defend him, including former Lake State championship goalie Darrin Madeley, who went on to play in the National Hockey League.

Whitten was not an overly-popular choice to replace the fired Roque three years. Many fans in the Michigan Soo wanted the job to go to one of two local products with extensive coaching backgrounds — Joe Shawhan and Rich Metro.

Both were bypassed for the Laker head coaching job in favour of Whitten.

Shawhan moved up a pay grade in leaving his assistant coach position with the Northern Michigan Wildcats for a similar post at Michigan Tech. Metro, meanwhile, was hired as Whitten’s assistant.

All has not been rosy regarding Laker hockey since the 5-0 start to the 2016-2017 season.

Plum sophomore defenseman Owen Headrick left the Lakers in January to sign with the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League. And a few others with WCHA eligibility remaining have served notice that they will not be returning to play for the Lakers in 2017-2018.

I happen to like Whitten. He’s easy to talk to and seems like a good guy.

I also like LSSU athletic director Kristin Dunbar. Dunbar has a clean reputation and simply put, is a good person.

What I am saying is that if any change is being contemplated, I doubt that Dunbar will be rushed or pushed into making a decision based on outside influences.

For now, let’s just call rumours of Whitten being fired exactly what they are.

Rumours.

Ringy Dingy!
              Trouble is now a day's, athletes at all levels​ want it their way and want to be pacified or they will leave. They all want playing time and sometimes don't earn it.
              A couple of players have left Tech for that reason.
              It takes time, patience, and MONEY SPENT to rebuild. Just ask Tech!
              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                His site looks like a one-man show. Copied press releases are credited to "HockeyNewsNorth.com Staff," everything else to Russon.
                right, but he does write for one of the newspapers over there. Can't remember which one.
                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                  I needed to shower after reading it.
                  Reality can be a dirty business, man.

Comment

Reality can be a dirty business, man.
                    Good to know that wild rumors are reality, man

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Good to know that wild rumors are reality, man

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                      Methinks denial is a river that flows in more than just Egypt, man, it flows north of campus in the Michigan Soo.
                      Last edited by LakerBaker; 03-13-2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Methinks denial is a river that flows in more than just Egypt, man, it flows north of campus in the Michigan Soo.
                        It's not denial at all. Randy's article states, and I quote:

Well, rumours are rampant in the Michigan Soo that Lake Superior State Lakers of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association are contemplating a coaching change that would result in the dismissal of third-year bench boss Damon Whitten.

While there is nothing to substantiate what is being said...
                        If he had anything to substantiate these rumors, I wouldn't be arguing. A cryptic quote from Dunbar, Pleger or ANYONE that would be intimately aware of the situation would put this to rest. But he doesn't have it, since it's just that: unsubstantiated rumors.

I'll gladly eat crow if anything comes from it this season, but like myself & many others, both on and off these boards have said: if there isn't a turnaround in the next season (or two, if they extend his contract), then yeah, there probably will be a coaching change.

How do you think an article that speculated that the Greyhounds were going to close up shop, with nothing but unsubstantiated rumors to support it? People would be losing it & calling the writer out. This is no different.
                        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Tune into The Hockey North show tonite at 5 pm with http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com + http://www.saultthisweek.com Randy Russon on Radio Station ESPN 1400 http://stream.1400espn.net for more spicy commentary about the good ship Lakers and the rumours around the Michigan Soo on a possible coaching change at LSSU, along with hockey, hockey and more hockey.

Comment

Tune into The Hockey North show tonite at 5 pm with http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com + http://www.saultthisweek.com Randy Russon on Radio Station ESPN 1400 http://stream.1400espn.net for more spicy commentary about the good ship Lakers and the rumours around the Michigan Soo on a possible coaching change at LSSU, along with hockey, hockey and more hockey.
                            But they are, admittedly, unsubstantiated.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Whitten is not going anywhere . You don't hire a staff and after three years tell them sorry but you have to go. Recruits are getting better each year and scoring is starting to come back . How many years did they give Borek ? How many years did they give Roque? How many years did they give Anzalone his second time around ? Unless there were huge problems on the team that has to have only one outcome , you are looking at your coaching staff for a while yet.

Season over . Make weight lifting and cardio a huge program for the off season . Make the Lakers the best conditioned team in the nation for next season .

Comment

According to veteran sports writer and broadcaster Randy Russon, James Roll and Luke Morgan will not be returning to the Good Ship Laker next season for various reasons and "issues at Lake State" as heard on tonite's Hockey North Show on ESPN Radio Station 1400.

They join the sophomore sensation Owen Headrick, along with Kristophers Bindulus as players not returning next season.
                                Last edited by LakerBaker; 03-15-2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X