Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    From the Hockey Show, it sounds like we're playing in a holiday tournament in Pittsburgh next season and then in the GLI the following season. Damon said the Notre Dame tournament is going on hiatus for a couple of years.
    Great news regarding the GLI. Kudos to Damon for getting the Lakers back in it. I believe the last time we were in the GLI was 1999.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Bump
      BLEED BLUE

Comment

A few positives from the season:

Highest goal total (103) since at least 2010-11 (2011-12 had 102).
        Most points for a player (Hults, 34) since at least 2010-11 (Alex Globke had 31 in 2013-14.)
        Most goals for a player (Torrel, 14) since Dominic Monardio had 20 in 2012-13.
        Most double-digit goal scorers since at least 2010-11 (2011-12 had 4).
        Best +/- for a player (Chatham, +8) since at least 2010-11 (Zach Sternberg was +4 in 2011-12.)
        Approximately 150 more people per game than last season.

Of course there were negatives to the year as well, but it seems just too easy to forget any positives, especially if you're getting baked in a sea of negativity.

2011-12 is the farthest back I can find player stats on the school's website.
        Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

I agree the Lakers took some steps forward.
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
            Great news regarding the GLI. Kudos to Damon for getting the Lakers back in it. I believe the last time we were in the GLI was 1999.
            Damon also said he wasn't happy with the schedule for next season in terms of scheduling dates, not content. He is hoping that dates for some games can be moved around when he's at the post-season coaches meeting in Naples.

Comment

Methinks the entire "hiring committee" from a few years ago must be flooding this board. Larry? How is it going, man.

I would love to have my performance eval written by this group, why excel when you can be muddled in mediocrity and stick your head in the sand to the reality of your program down there.

Comment

God forbid we look at some positives when all you're looking at are the negatives, Baker. There is plenty that needs to be fixed, but firing a coach after 3 years seems a bit rash. If nothing changes after 1, maybe 2 years, I will get on board, unless we completely tank next season.
                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                  God forbid we look at some positives when all you're looking at are the negatives, Baker. There is plenty that needs to be fixed, but firing a coach after 3 years seems a bit rash. If nothing changes after 1, maybe 2 years, I will get on board, unless we completely tank next season.
                  For a bit of context, LakerBaker was trashing Damon on here by the end of Damon's first season, which was before he even had a chance to bring in his first recruiting class.

Comment

For a bit of context, LakerBaker was trashing Damon on here by the end of Damon's first season, which was before he even had a chance to bring in his first recruiting class.
                    "Bill" quit living in the past, man. For a bit of realty, Whitten has had 3 years to get his own players in, and push some players out. The results speak for themselves. I'm sure next year will be different "Bill", you have been saying that for years on here, man, and methinks you are proven wrong time and time again, chum.
                    Last edited by LakerBaker; 03-08-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I had to investigate. Oh man, this guy is a hoot!

3/13/2015:

Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post
                      What I'm saying here is this guy didn't have a record of accomplishment on his resume, and certainly hasn't helped his situation or this team in one year with their record on the ice, and his constant complaining off it and in interviews. All one has to do is go to the podcasts of the Laker Hockey Show or listen to his interviews after the game, where he, at times sounds snide and certainly unprofessional complaining about officials.
                      10/4/2015:

Lots of good things to take out of the game today. I really like the speed the Lakers showed and the intensity throughout the contest. They are light years ahead of where they were last season at this time, when coach Whitten inherited a total mess.
                      3/14/2016:

Damon Whitten should be in line for WCHA Coach of the Year. Class act all the way, no excuses, no fear. He is steering the good ship Laker back to its glory days, after the gutting of the program with the previous coach.
                      1/16/2017:

The talent level has increased thanks to the recruiting efforts of Team Whitten. What you have to remember, is this is a young team and it's going to take some time to develop. The schedule has been brutal, we caught a hot Northern team at the wrong time, had some long road trips, some bad puck luck, and the recipient of some horrible officiating.

Once this team gets healthy again and gains some more experience, methinks the good ship Laker, under the watchful eye of Damon Whitten, will make a big jump in the standings and be in the running for a home playoff spot and a chance to surprise some people. If not this year than in the years to come. It takes some time, man.
                      3/7/2017:

Methinks it is time for the administration and the Board of Trustees to take a hard look at their hockey program, and direction that Damon Whitten is taking them....

With the collapse this season, and this coaches three year body of evidence at the good ship Laker, it's not "fake news" to question the hire and where this once proud program is heading. It's freedom of speech, and much like those whom might disagree, I woke up in a free country, complete with it. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it, man.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                        The general tone of LakerBaker's posts went from trashing Damon his first season, to sarcasm his second season and part of his third season, and is evidently back to trashing. I have LakerBaker on Ignore so I don't routinely see the content of LakerBaker's posts anymore except when they're quoted.

Comment

I think Damon had a late start recruiting his first season but still did a descent job. When Cuglietta and crew are seniors then it will be completely Coach Whitten's team as far as all player's being his. Also I think Damon will become a better coach with these growing pains.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                            Just my opinion however he appears more like a troll by his wording and mannerisms. By his choice of words and the way he presents his thoughts his posts seem to be for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response. His posts don't really add anything to the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                              Just my opinion however he appears more like a troll by his wording and mannerisms. By his choice of words and the way he presents his thoughts his posts seem to be for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response. His posts don't really add anything to the conversation.
                              You got it right. LakerBaker is a troll.

Comment

Damon also said he wasn't happy with the schedule for next season in terms of scheduling dates, not content. He is hoping that dates for some games can be moved around when he's at the post-season coaches meeting in Naples.
                                I wonder why Damon is unhappy in terms of scheduling dates? I'm guessing a lot of home games are when students are on break?
                                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Working...
                                X