LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

I think we'll get at least one more NLI in this signing period.

That's in addition to the one from Niko Esposito-Selivanov which has now been received.
    Last edited by Bill; 05-11-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Just for reference, the current signing period ends August 1st.
      LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Hopefully we can get a new President that loved Laker Hockey as much as Tom Pleger did. With the financial problems the school is having, we could end up with a President that doesn't care for hockey and could put the hockey program on the chopping block.

Also any rumblings on who will be the new LSSU AD?
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
          Hopefully we can get a new President that loved Laker Hockey as much as Tom Pleger did. With the financial problems the school is having, we could end up with a President that doesn't care for hockey and could put the hockey program on the chopping block.

Also any rumblings on who will be the new LSSU AD?
          Pleger was a tremendous loss for the program, the University and the community

Comment

Nice article by Randy Russon of http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com and http://www.saultthisweek.com on former LSSU Laker standout defenceman, Owen Headrick, who has helped lead his team to the Memorial Cup.

http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ohl/h...k-culina-meet/

Teammates at the major bantam, minor midget and junior A hockey levels in Sault Ste. Marie, the paths of Owen Headrick and Mario Culina will cross again at next week’s Memorial Cup tournament.

But instead of being on the same team as they were for so many years in the Soo, Headrick and Culina will be opponents at the 2017 Memorial Cup tournament that is being held in Windsor.

Headrick takes a regular shift and sees power play time as a defenseman with the Ontario Hockey League champion Erie Otters. Culina, meanwhile, is the backup goalie for the Memorial Cup host Windsor Spitfires, who have been idle for several weeks after losing in the first round of the OHL playoffs.

Hailing from Garden River First Nation just outside Sault Ste. Marie, Headrick has played a lot of hockey since leaving the Division 1, National Collegiate Athletic Association, Lake Superior State Lakers midway through the 2016-2017 season to move to Erie and the OHL.

The 6-foot, 185-pound Headrick played 26 regular-season games for Erie and has followed that up with 22 playoff matches. All together, he has 4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points in an Erie uniform.

A Sault Ste. Marie product, Culina is in his second season with the Spitfires. Over the course of the 2016-2017 regular season, the lanky 6-foot-2, 185-pound puck-stopper posted a record of 11-7-1 with a 2.94 goals against average and .900 save percentage in a secondary role behind Windsor starter Michael DiPietro.

Both Headrick and Culina have 1997 birth dates and are examples of defying the odds to make the OHL.

Headrick was Erie’s 14th-round pick at the 2013 OHL draft while Culina signed with Windsor as a free agent after having never been drafted into the league.

To be sure, it’s a classic case of living a hockey dream for both Headrick and Culina.

From teammates with the Soo Thunder major bantams, the Soo Thunder minor midgets and a Dudley-Hewitt Cup, Central Canada championship season with the Soo Thunderbirds of the Northern Ontario Jr. Hockey League, Headrick and Culina have both ascended the ladder to reach the OHL.

And now, with the added bonus of being Memorial Cup participants.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
              I think there are numerous universities these days in financial trouble. Makes you wonder about the future of college hockey in general.
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                I think there are numerous universities these days in financial trouble. Makes you wonder about the future of college hockey in general.
                I don't think the 'Big Name' teams are in fear of losing it (BU, BC, NoDak, etc), but for us smaller schools? I'm sure it's a real possibility.

From what I've seen (given, I haven't looked recently), it looks like the Alaska schools are going to be under fire year after year.

Although, AIC hasn't had a winning record since the 1993-1994 season, yet they're still around, so who knows.
                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                  Although, AIC hasn't had a winning record since the 1993-1994 season, yet they're still around, so who knows.
                  Being a private school helps, but ask Craig Barnett how that worked out at Findlay. The only public schools in AHC are the service academies.

GFM
                  Last edited by gfmorris; 05-15-2017, 09:37 AM.
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Being a private school helps, but ask Craig Barnett how that worked out at Findlay. The only public schools in AHC are the service academies.

GFM
                    I was talking to Schlossman about this, because the west is predominantly public schools, I didn't really realize that around half of all college hockey teams are private schools with nearly all the schools in the east being private.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      I was talking to Schlossman about this, because the west is predominantly public schools, I didn't really realize that around half of all college hockey teams are private schools with nearly all the schools in the east being private.
                      I think that the only ways to be in Hockey Rast are to be a Catholic school or a state public school (or be BU).

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

How many new players are coming in this coming season ? Does anyone have a clue? Who would be the new players coming in if anyone has the names ?

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                          How many new players are coming in this coming season ? Does anyone have a clue? Who would be the new players coming in if anyone has the names ?
                          My best guess at this point is 8 new players; it's possible there could be more. In goal, we'll have Roman Bengert and Mareks Mitens. On D, we'll have Tyler Anderson, Lukas Kalble, William Riedell and Steven Ruggiero. At forward, we'll have Chase Gamelin and Yuki Miura. If there are any additions, I think it would be at forward.

I don't think we've received an NLI from Miura yet, unless it's come in very recently. He's from Japan, played a couple of seasons of junior hockey in the Czech Republic, and played in the USHL this past season. I suspect it's taking longer than anticipated for all his paperwork (transcripts) to come in so he can sign his NLI. Ruggiero won't be eligible to play until the second semester. He previously played a season plus at Providence and then finished out last season in the USHL.

Comment

That is a lot of players for a team that lost one senior .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                              That is a lot of players for a team that lost one senior .
                              We also lost Owen Headrick (left mid-season for Erie of the OHL), Kris Bindulis (signed with Washington), Jim Roll (got his degree even though he had a year of eligibility left), Gordie Defiel (got his degree and had used up his eligibility), and Mitch Hults (signed with Anaheim). That's in addition to Gus Correale, the senior you refer to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                We also lost Owen Headrick (left mid-season for Erie of the OHL), Kris Bindulis (signed with Washington), Jim Roll (got his degree even though he had a year of eligibility left), Gordie Defiel (got his degree and had used up his eligibility), and Mitch Hults (signed with Anaheim). That's in addition to Gus Correale, the senior you refer to.
                                There always seems to be one or two that leave late in the summer too. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but it's a possibility.
                                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X