LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    I wonder if the Lakers will play NMU 4 games in a row next season? I hope not.

Also any word if there will be any off-season Laker Hockey Talk shows this spring/summer like there was last year?

One of the last radio shows Bill mentioned they were going to do the same as last summer. The dates were not available at the time so stay tuned.
    BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      I haven't heard anything. If they decide to stay in house, Steve Hettinga is assistant AD now. I suppose they could give him the dual role of AD and BB coach.
      I've heard that they will be doing a thorough search for a new replacement. Not saying that Hettinga won't get it (if he even wants the job), but I believe they will be looking outside of the Sault for a replacement & to make the best decision for the school. I think Dunbar is done at the start of May, and I'm not sure what the school's policy is for when they can post the position & start the search.
      LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Methinks Kristen Dunbar is going to be hard to replace. Her 10 year record as AD speaks for itself and she always handled herself and others with class.

If a "committee" is formed down there, let's hope it does a little more thorough search and vetting than the last one, man.
        Last edited by LakerBaker; 04-07-2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Any picks on who will win the National Championship game? I'm picking Duluth.
          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
            Any picks on who will win the National Championship game? I'm picking Duluth.
            Denver seems to be a team on a mission the way they are playing in the tournament so far. I don't have a favorite; I'm just hoping for a close game.

Comment

I am with Bill on this one. I just want to see a good game and not going to bed early .

Comment

Although it has become increasingly common to see a turnover of underclassmen players following (the first year or two of) a coaching change, this one at UMass ranks pretty high on the player turnover spectrum:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...ovanna-renyard

Comment

Doug Weight will continue as Islanders coach next season:

https://www.nhl.com/news/doug-weight...rs/c-288697190

Comment

We have a new goalie recruit:

http://www.astonrebels.com/mitens-ma...superior-state

Comment

I can't believe they got him even though Bindulis left.

The two played together when Kris was in Aston before coming to Lake State. The coaches seemed pretty excited about this kid.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there already a goalie that was slated to come in next year already? Are we going to carry 4 goalies, or do you think either Kossoff or Lukenda is going to be leaving?
                      LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Also, Here is a piece from USA Today that has a little writeup on Mitens.
                        They seem pretty excited about him, and think he could be a mid-round draft pick.

Of course, past the first round, maybe 2, it's probably impossible to guess who will get picked or passed on, but still exciting to think about nonetheless.
                        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                          But, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there already a goalie that was slated to come in next year already? Are we going to carry 4 goalies, or do you think either Kossoff or Lukenda is going to be leaving?
                          That's the big question. Yes, we now tentatively have 4 goalies for next season; Kossoff, Lukenda, Bengert, and Mitens. Makes you wonder if maybe Bengert is having problems with the Clearing House. If he isn't, then I don't know how the coaches are going to keep all 4 goalies happy. It seems very possible that a goalie could leave, if not now then maybe after another season. They must have wanted Mitens very bad and just couldn't pass up the opportunity to land him. He does have great stats.

Another way to look at this is that Mitens could very well be taken by the NHL next year if he has a good season with the Lakers and then we would be back to 3 goalies if the other guys all stick around.
                          Last edited by Bill; 04-13-2017, 08:08 AM.

Comment

That's the big question. Yes, we now tentatively have 4 goalies for next season; Kossoff, Lukenda, Bengert, and Mitens. Makes you wonder if maybe Bengert is having problems with the Clearing House. If he isn't, then I don't know how the coaches are going to keep all 4 goalies happy. It seems very possible that a goalie could leave, if not now then maybe after another season. They must have wanted Mitens very bad and just couldn't pass up the opportunity to land him. He does have great stats.
                            Outstanding stats:

11 shutouts in 31 games,
                            1.63 GAA
                            .925 save%.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the summer with this goalie situation. I've got to guess that either Kossoff or Lukenda will be leaving the team, possibly either to just focus on school, or to get some consistent playing time, possibly in D3. I just can't imagine us having all 4 goalies at the start of the season.
                            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                              Outstanding stats:

11 shutouts in 31 games,
                              1.63 GAA
                              .925 save%.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the summer with this goalie situation. I've got to guess that either Kossoff or Lukenda will be leaving the team, possibly either to just focus on school, or to get some consistent playing time, possibly in D3. I just can't imagine us having all 4 goalies at the start of the season.
                              BSU had four goalies last year, two seniors, Bitzer as a junior and a freshman. They red shirted the freshman and it will be Bitzer and him along with a new one coming in.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Another way to look at this is that Mitens could very well be taken by the NHL next year if he has a good season with the Lakers and then we would be back to 3 goalies if the other guys all stick around.
                                Didn't see this edit until I replied the first time.

Possibly. One of the mock drafts I looked at had him being taken by Columbus. If that holds true, Columbus has a great starting goalie in Bob, what looks to be a solid backup, and the Monsters have a pretty good tandem there, but of course a lot can change in a year.

If we, as a team, have an outstanding year, maybe he'll stick around to try and help us win a championship. (Don't **** on my dreams)
                                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X