Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Originally posted by Deman View Post
    it's kind of hard to say. The previous format was a best-of-1 in a tournament style. This year it's best of 3.

The average attendance in the 2015 tournament according to USCHO was 7524, with a total attendance of 15,048. the teams in the tournament were: Bowling Green, Michigan Tech, Ferris State & Minnesota State. You can see 'actual' attendance for the games,according to Wikipedia, here (for the semifinal round, you're looking at 6844. These games were held at the Xcel Energy Center.

The two semifinal games, according to Wikipedia, had an attendance of 5,044. The schools involved were Bowling Green, Minnesota State, Ferris State & Michigan Tech. These games were held at the Van Andel Arena.

In the semi finals this year, according to the box scores we have:
    MNS@MTU Game 1: 2015
    MNS@MTU Game 2: 2616
    MNS@MTU Game 3: 2163
    Total Attendance: 6794

BGS@BMJ Game 1: 2162
    BGS@BMJ Game 2: 2210
    Total Attendance: 4372

So if you look at a previous tournament games, the average attendance per game is down, but the total number of people for the weekend (with 3 games played at least) comes pretty close to the attendance that they had in Grand Rapids & the Mankato@Tech series coming awfully close to the attendance in St. Paul.

The important thing to remember too is that you'll have fans from all 4 teams in the old WCHA tournament likely in attendance compared to just 2 teams, with the majority being for the home team.

That being said, I think this is a better overall move by the league. You don't have to pay an arm and a leg for these large venues that are going to be largely empty (Xcel holds ~17954, Van Andel holds ~10834 for hockey). It's also better for the schools, I think, by having that revenue stay in the area.
    Does anyone know approximately what they had to pay to play in a facility such as the Xcel?

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferatu View Post
      My sources tell me that in 4 years there won't be a current Laker left; they will have ALL gone, left, departed, moved on. Happening at Tech, NMU & everywhere else too. It happens: for some it's a degree, a chance to play on/elsewhere or academic failure or worse yet; an injury.

Don't lose any sleep over the inevitable.
      Very true but it seems like more players are leaving early/being cut which haven't been seen since Anzalone's second stint 15 years ago.
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I went to the Soo Eagles/Soo Thunderbirds game at the John Rhodes in Sault Ontario tonight and I seen Damon Whitten and Rich Metro there. I wonder if they have an eye on any Eagle or Thunderbird players?

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
          I went to the Soo Eagles/Soo Thunderbirds game at the John Rhodes in Sault Ontario tonight and I seen Damon Whitten and Rich Metro there. I wonder if they have an eye on any Eagle or Thunderbird players?
          Sounded like a good game. I'm planning on making the trek across the river for game 2.
          Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Just look at the goals for and goals against and you will see why the Lakers finished where they did. Defense and goal tending need a make over to get the team back to a top four contender .I hope there is a lot of weightlifting and cardio now that the season is over. I believe conditioning can be a good equalizer and makes playing 60 minutes an every night event .

Comment

Dear LSSU & NMU, if you want a road map to being competitive with the top of the league, take a look at the two teams playing for the championship tonight. Then do the same things they've done to improve their programs.

Comment

Michigan Tech wins Broadmoor Trophy and punch a ticket to the NCAA tournament. Some of the Whitten critics acted like the Lakers lost to a High School team when the Huskies eliminated us. They are a great team and among the WCHA's best.

Comment

Michigan Tech wins Broadmoor Trophy and punch a ticket to the NCAA tournament. Some of the Whitten critics acted like the Lakers lost to a High School team when the Huskies eliminated us. They are a great team and among the WCHA's best.
                  Good postseason run by Tech. I just wish the Lakers results would have been a little closer against them. They will be losing some great players this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                    Good postseason run by Tech. I just wish the Lakers results would have been a little closer against them. They will be losing some great players this year.
                    The first game was close at 6-4 but unfortunately Gordie had a bad game the next night and we got blown out. Tech may be losing some great players, but I still expect them to be in the upper half of the league once again. It will be interesting to see if Michigan goes after Mel Pearson should Red retire and if Tech is willing to give him a raise if Michigan offers him big bucks. I think Mel will stay though.
                    Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 03-18-2017, 11:12 PM.

Comment

The first game was close at 6-4 but unfortunately Gordie had a bad game the next night and we got blown out. Tech may be losing some great players, but I still expect them to be in the upper half of the league once again. It will be interesting to see if Michigan goes after Mel Pearson should Red retire and if Tech is willing to give him a raise if Michigan offers him big bucks. I think Mel will stay though.
                      I expect Tech to stay in the upper part of the standings for a long time, but they may not be quite as dominant next year with some key pieces graduating.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                        Mel is a Husky!

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                          Mel is a Husky!
                          Was funny they were actually talking about what Mel would do on the Badger broadcast tonight during the intermission after the 1st OT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                            Was funny they were actually talking about what Mel would do on the Badger broadcast tonight during the intermission after the 1st OT.
                            I cannot understand why some assume that coaching in the B1G would be preferable. Mel played for Tech and has enjoyed restoring a fine tradition. Houghton is a hockey town while in Ann Arbor hockey runs a distant 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                              I cannot understand why some assume that coaching in the B1G would be preferable. Mel played for Tech and has enjoyed restoring a fine tradition. Houghton is a hockey town while in Ann Arbor hockey runs a distant 3rd.
                              Yeah, I don't think Mel is going anywhere. With him being close to 60 years old at this point, I see him staying with tech for another 5-10 years and retiring after that.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                                Just look at the goals for and goals against and you will see why the Lakers finished where they did. Defense and goal tending need a make over to get the team back to a top four contender .I hope there is a lot of weightlifting and cardio now that the season is over. I believe conditioning can be a good equalizer and makes playing 60 minutes an every night event .
                                I think our biggest need is to get a faster more mobile D corps. When you look at the top teams in the league in recent seasons (Tech, Mankato, BG, Ferris), they all have fast mobile D corps. We've added a lot of speed at forward the past couple of seasons; now we need to do the same at D. Losing Bindulis hurts because he is a very good skater. I think there is some thought being given to maybe converting Hayes to a D-man; I'm not sure if that will happen. I guess we'll know in the Fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X