X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    At least it is uphill in only one direction.

Seriously, I thought that the training facilities were in the ECAV.
    They are in the ECAV. At least now, they are. When I was there, they were at the Armory. At least it isn't the '87 Gym...

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
      If this is the problem, where was Appert on it? How much did he advocate for funding/building renovation, etc?

As others have already said, while there may be better facilities out there, there are worse ones too.
      Seth raised his fair share of money. It has to come from the top.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Troy isn't state of the art either.
        Home is where the heart is.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Well, that is another problem. Troy isn't state of the art either.
          There are some gems in Troy that not a lot of students know about. If you're willing to look for them. When I was a student, I took some of my friends to some locales (in Troy) and they were shocked that the place existed. In fact, one of my friends who wasn't even from New York commented that he was a little disappointed that he came to NY to go to school and it was nothing what he expected. I asked him what he expected, and he said "I expected it to be like Manhattan." He was pleasantly surprised that with only a bus ride, he could get access to all of the things he was looking for. That's part of the problem too.
          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
            There are some gems in Troy that not a lot of students know about. If you're willing to look for them. When I was a student, I took some of my friends to some locales (in Troy) and they were shocked that the place existed. In fact, one of my friends who wasn't even from New York commented that he was a little disappointed that he came to NY to go to school and it was nothing what he expected. I asked him what he expected, and he said "I expected it to be like Manhattan." He was pleasantly surprised that with only a bus ride, he could get access to all of the things he was looking for. That's part of the problem too.
            Hey man I hope you, the mrs. and the unborn Jerhico are doing well. prayers and blessings.

Comment

My gut feeling is that Michigan and MSU won't be looking at the same coaches as RPI, just like they usually don't look at the same plsyers we do. However if they pilfer a coach from another school, then that school may be our competition. So I agree that we have to use the lead time which we have.
              According to the MSU thread, Anastos has resigned.

Edit:

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-21-2017, 02:39 PM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                Hey man I hope you, the mrs. and the unborn Jerhico are doing well. prayers and blessings.
                Thanks. We are all doing well.

Comment

According to the MSU thread, Anastos has resigned.

Edit:

Danton Cole or Gwoz.

Comment

Let me add two new names to the coaching list, both local names, and please feel free to berate me if I'm off base on this. The first is Brendan Riley of Albany Academy. He has experience recruiting, as Albany Academy is a highly touted area program and has produced some college talent, notably the Cavosie's, as well as Union's Jeff Taylor. AA had a 22-9-5 record this past year in their league, which includes some of the top Prep Schools in the Northeast, if not the country. If RPI is looking for the long term, he probably isn't going anywhere as he already has roots in the Capital Region. The second is Tim Flanigan of LaSalle. Also has experience recruiting kids to come to his school in his 21 years at the helm of the Cadets, as well as experience playing in the ECAC as he played for St. Lawrence (and Union, when they were in DIII) knows the area as a lifelong Capital Region resident, and LaSalle has returned to success this year. Pro experience includes stints in the ECHL with Utica and Virginia Lancers in the late 80's. Again, if RPI is looking to hire long term, Flanigan isn't going anywhere. I witnessed a game that they played in this year and let me tell you, they were good. He's won over 200 games as coach, and has a few championships under his belt. Granted, college is a whole different animal than high school and they may not want to leave a good thing, but it's worth a call.

ETA: You'd have to imagine that Riley has more connections throughout the Northeast given the league that he's in, but both are well-respected high school coaches.
                    Last edited by jericho; 03-21-2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Let me add two new names to the coaching list, both local names, and please feel free to berate me if I'm off base on this. The first is Brendan Riley of Albany Academy. He has experience recruiting, as Albany Academy is a highly touted area program and has produced some college talent, notably the Cavosie's, as well as Union's Jeff Taylor. AA had a 22-9-5 record this past year in their league, which includes some of the top Prep Schools in the Northeast, if not the country. If RPI is looking for the long term, he probably isn't going anywhere as he already has roots in the Capital Region. The second is Tim Flanigan of LaSalle. Also has experience recruiting kids to come to his school in his 21 years at the helm of the Cadets, as well as experience playing in the ECAC as he played for St. Lawrence (and Union, when they were in DIII) knows the area as a lifelong Capital Region resident, and LaSalle has returned to success this year. Pro experience includes stints in the ECHL with Utica and Virginia Lancers in the late 80's. Again, if RPI is looking to hire long term, Flanigan isn't going anywhere. I witnessed a game that they played in this year and let me tell you, they were good. He's won over 200 games as coach, and has a few championships under his belt. Granted, college is a whole different animal than high school and they may not want to leave a good thing, but it's worth a call. ETA: You'd have to imagine that Riley has more connections throughout the Northeast given the league that he's in, but both are well-respected high school coaches.
                      You want someone with college coaching experience.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        Good pt. Isn't Monty sorta of an outlier getting DU from USHL. Although he was asst. on College level. I really dont think Lammers and Muse have a legit shot. Its Barr

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          For the sake of argument, let me ask why? You can hire assistants with college experience. They do the bulk of the recruiting and talking with the students anyway. As long as someone knows how to transition from high school to college, which, admittedly is hard to do, you have a major hurdle cleared.

Comment

Brendan Riley was often a spectator @ HFH (can’t say the same about the RPI staff @ AA) but given the circumstances the RPI job needs to go to more experience at a higher level. Riley will be a future HC in DI at some point, if not higher.
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

For the sake of argument, let me ask why? You can hire assistants with college experience. They do the bulk of the recruiting and talking with the students anyway. As long as someone knows how to transition from high school to college, which, admittedly is hard to do, you have a major hurdle cleared.

Ideally you want BOTH HC and AC with college experience.

Recruiting is not the same, budgeting is not the same, the players are not the same, some aspects of the game are not the same.

Assistants may do the initial looking during recruiting but they direction from the HC and the HC wants his looks as well and makes final decisions.

Can you name me a winning college program that went this route? There might be one but not aware. Do you want a HC to cut his teeth on your program or at minimum get an AC with college experience moving up to the HC position.

Recent HC with no college coaching experience Anastos or asbestos which caught on as his nickname. They waited six years before correcting that mistake, how long do you want to wait?

Now I'm not saying it's impossible to be a great HC with no college coaching experience but it's a BIG step.

Monty does have previous college coaching and much other coaching experience. He's more than been around the block.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                Ideally you want BOTH HC and AC with college experience.

Recruiting is not the same, budgeting is not the same, the players are not the same, some aspects of the game are not the same.

Assistants may do the initial looking during recruiting but they direction from the HC and the HC wants his looks as well and makes final decisions.

Can you name me a winning college program that went this route? There might be one but not aware. Do you want a HC to cut his teeth on your program or at minimum get an AC with college experience moving up to the HC position.

Recent HC with no college coaching experience Anastos or asbestos which caught on as his nickname. They waited six years before correcting that mistake, how long do you want to wait?

Now I'm not saying it's impossible to be a great HC with no college coaching experience but it's a BIG step.

Monty does have previous college coaching and much other coaching experience. He's more than been around the block.
                                Ted Donato@Harvard
                                Red Berensen@Michigan
                                Jack Parker@BU
                                Rand Pecknold@Qunnipiac
                                Keith Allain@Yale
                                even Adessa had two years minimal coaching experiencebefore he was named head coach at RPI

I'm sure there are more
                                Last edited by jericho; 03-21-2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X