This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Today is 19 March 2017. There are 196 days (28 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
      W21, Pegula just built a new barn for program, admin is supportive at PSU and they don't have a myopic President like Shirls. You'll get Barr who won't get resources.
      What do you expect a coach to receive that the previous coach did not receive in terms of resources?

Comment

W21, Pegula just built a new barn for program, admin is supportive at PSU and they don't have a myopic President like Shirls. You'll get Barr who won't get resources.
        That was any interesting term you used to describe Dr. Jackson. Since the previous PSU president turned a blind eye to child abuse in his institution.
        Because of the hockey program, I am not a big fan of Shirley, but as for the improvements at the school since her appointment, you would have to be blind not to see the differences that she has made.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          What do you expect a coach to receive that the previous coach did not receive in terms of resources?
          A lessening of academic requirements, a new barn or significant improvements, travel budget an AD that knows about Hockey etc etc etc.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            That was any interesting term you used to describe Dr. Jackson. Since the previous PSU president turned a blind eye to child abuse in his institution.
            Because of the hockey program, I am not a big fan of Shirley, but as for the improvements at the school since her appointment, you would have to be blind not to see the differences that she has made.
            An expression we use in town for her. I think the folks at PSU should be ashamed of themselves with what happened in football program but to think there is the same commitment at RPI as there is at PSU is far fethched. Empac was a disaster, the school's debt has been downgraded after an explosion of spending, etc. etc. The improvements came but with whose $$$$. I hope this finds you well.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

A lessening of academic requirements, a new barn or significant improvements, travel budget an AD that knows about Hockey etc etc etc.
              well, the AD knows enough about hockey to show the door to a coach who was 69 games under .500..

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                well, the AD knows enough about hockey to show the door to a coach who was 69 games under .500..
                and hiring a search firm that will charge 60-90k for "helping' to fill the vacancy. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...lege-athletics No hockey experience, charges fee. How bout bringing in Oates, Puppa, Polacek others who know hockey who would do it for nothing and for the love of the School??

Comment

and hiring a search firm that will charge 60-90k for "helping' to fill the vacancy. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...lege-athletics No hockey experience, charges fee. How bout bringing in Oates, Puppa, Polacek others who know hockey who would do it for nothing and for the love of the School??
                  Do you really think that Oates would do it for nothing?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Do you really think that Oates would do it for nothing?
                    Prob not but you know what I mean? I'm sure former players would help. Bringing an external firm w/ no expereience filling hockey vacancies is crazy and sends up a red flag for me.

Comment

Prob not but you know what I mean? I'm sure former players would help. Bringing an external firm w/ no expereience filling hockey vacancies is crazy and sends up a red flag for me.
                      I do agree that among the former players there are probably quite a few who could and would help.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

A "new barn" and "travel budget" require the same thing, one which you do rant about a bit later on. As for "knowing about hockey", couldn't you have said the same about a past coach that is significantly lauded amongst many of the RPI faithful?

As for the academic requirements, I don't think it's as big of a problem as we make it out to be. Main reason being that the NCAA is not a monopoly when it comes to kids of this age. Those who aren't serious about education don't need to get placed into basket weaving courses; they just go to Major Junior. Are the offerings more stringent than that of a B1G school? Perhaps. However, looking at how ice hockey has probably the highest (or darn close to it) GPA of all collegiate sports, I have every faith in the kids to be able to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          A "new barn" and "travel budget" require the same thing, one which you do rant about a bit later on. As for "knowing about hockey", couldn't you have said the same about a past coach that is significantly lauded amongst many of the RPI faithful?

As for the academic requirements, I don't think it's as big of a problem as we make it out to be. Main reason being that the NCAA is not a monopoly when it comes to kids of this age. Those who aren't serious about education don't need to get placed into basket weaving courses; they just go to Major Junior. Are the offerings more stringent than that of a B1G school? Perhaps. However, looking at how ice hockey has probably the highest (or darn close to it) GPA of all collegiate sports, I have every faith in the kids to be able to handle it.
                          IMO, a problem is the choice of majors. A lot of people want to major in a subject which we don't offer.

Things have gotten easier over the years in that management majors don't take the same science courses their first couple of years that scientists and engineers do. They did when I was at RPI.
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

How do we know they're not helping? Joe Juneau, for one, has been very clear over the years in his desire to help the program. No reason to think at least some former players aren't quietly helping behind the scenes.

And who cares about the search firm? All they do is some of the prep and logistical work, that's it. McElroy may not be an encyclopedia of hockey, but he doesn't need to be. He has a good track record when it comes to hiring coaches who know how to win.

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                              How do we know they're not helping? Joe Juneau, for one, has been very clear over the years in his desire to help the program. No reason to think at least some former players aren't quietly helping behind the scenes.

And who cares about the search firm? All they do is some of the prep and logistical work, that's it. McElroy may not be an encyclopedia of hockey, but he doesn't need to be. He has a good track record when it comes to hiring coaches who know how to win.
                              Lee wanted to fire Will Brown and he has gone on to have a pretty good career. Why would you even hire an outside firm if you have a roster of former alumni who were involved with game and most if not all are still giving back to the game? Look that piece stinks, let's just admit and move on (or not). Here's the deal, IMO, if they don't move quick you will see recruits moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                IMO, a problem is the choice of majors. A lot of people want to major in a subject which we don't offer.

Things have gotten easier over the years in that management majors don't take the same science courses their first couple of years that scientists and engineers do. They did when I was at RPI.
                                Exactly right. It's easier now than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. You know, when the team and program was relevant.
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X