X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Curious is there any talk of spending on the field house? Long term plan?
    I've heard that the AD has told the players that the school is spending $22 million on field house upgrades over the next 2 years. Supposedly the Zamboni end will mirror the entrance with boxes and additional offices The seating bowl will be updgraded with new seats and there will be upgrades to player facilities, such as their own gym and a shooting machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Record article about the future of RPI hockey http://www.troyrecord.com/opinion/20...ive-rpi-hockey.
      that wasn't an article about RPI or it's hockey program, it was a thinly veiled soliloquy for the ex-coach, who was more interested in PR than doing the job he was hired for.

Best part of the article was where they combined his record w/ Fridgen's and still couldn't reach .500.

Can we be done with this used car salesman?
      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        Agree 100% re: Benny B. I believe his Mrs is from the CD, so I'm hoping this will sway him ... ha.

Also, I'm not sure I'd lump Cornell in with the other Ivies regarding their admissions. Most of their hockey players enroll in the ag / life sciences school -which is a SUNY affiliate school under the Cornell umbrella. I'm not saying it's easier studies by any stretch, but they have shall we say, a "warm relationship" with the Ag/LS admissions folks. 😜

Was told that the Ivies developed their own formula in recent years and agreed on admission standards for athletes, specifically to limit Cornell's advantage. Still strong academically though.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
          that wasn't an article about RPI or it's hockey program, it was a thinly veiled soliloquy for the ex-coach, who was more interested in PR than doing the job he was hired for.

Best part of the article was where they combined his record w/ Fridgen's and still couldn't reach .500.

Glad I wasn't the only one to see it that way

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Record article about the future of RPI hockey http://www.troyrecord.com/opinion/20...ive-rpi-hockey.
            Article is an epic fail in so many ways, outside of Appert's personal attributes. So are many of the comments on this board. Excuses = Losers. With all that I am reading, why doesn't poor little RPI just move to Division III.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
              You don't recruit the kid that wants DU
              Which is my point.
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
                I've heard that the AD has told the players that the school is spending $22 million on field house upgrades over the next 2 years. Supposedly the Zamboni end will mirror the entrance with boxes and additional offices The seating bowl will be updgraded with new seats and there will be upgrades to player facilities, such as their own gym and a shooting machine.
                I'm no expert but you would think they would invest heavily in a few "scoring" machines.

Comment

Originally posted by TBone View Post
                  I'm no expert but you would think they would invest heavily in a few "scoring" machines.
                  You're back!
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Just changed to lurker status mostly; like many.

Comment

Whoever we get, is going to have to sell himself in bringing in recruits. He can't point to the hockey program, because the last two coaches made that impossible. You can't sell a national championship when it is over thirty years in the rear view mirror.
                      We need a recognizable name that can attract young players. And outside of Oates and Juneau, the program doesn't have someone who will attract that kind of attention. I don't think that either of those guys would be interested.
                      Lets hope that whoever is doing the scouting for the new coach knows what to look for.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Just changed to lurker status mostly; like many.
                        Me too!

I never have understood the elimination game in picking a new coach for a program that has lost its shine. By elimination game I mean ADs and fans alike eliminating higher quality candidates simply because there isn’t a direct relationship to the institution. When I look at the success Mankato State has had in hiring Hastings a very successful coach at the Junior level who mirrored his success at the D-I level, I can’t help but wonder why names like Cary Eades don’t surface in the consideration process. Looking at his success in the USHL and his reputation for not only recruiting but also for being able to establish the all-important coach player relationships he enjoys, any AD with an opening would be nutsy not to seek him out and determine if there was any interest on his part.

Comment

The problem is that there is a lot of competition for such players.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
                            Me too!

I never have understood the elimination game in picking a new coach for a program that has lost its shine. By elimination game I mean ADs and fans alike eliminating higher quality candidates simply because there isn’t a direct relationship to the institution. When I look at the success Mankato State has had in hiring Hastings a very successful coach at the Junior level who mirrored his success at the D-I level, I can’t help but wonder why names like Cary Eades don’t surface in the consideration process. Looking at his success in the USHL and his reputation for not only recruiting but also for being able to establish the all-important coach player relationships he enjoys, any AD with an opening would be nutsy not to seek him out and determine if there was any interest on his part.
                            I don't think that we have had a head coach related to RPI since Garry Kearns unless you count the fact that Dan Fridgen had been an assistant
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I was done with it for the past year. Jenny had been urging the same thing for the past 5 years. Would never desert our boys as they really do play their hearts out and give everything they have. The early signs of trouble we saw were mostly talent that came in as freshmen just never progressed much (with a few exceptions) and the same basics never got any better (faceoffs, playing with and holding third period leads, unnecessary penalties, etc. etc. etc.). We are back for now waiting to see who takes the reins. Hope this is the change needed but have some concerns that the coach still has to acquiesce to the powers that hover above him. As far as recruiting goes, this program used to sell itself but as EHF posted, it no longer can rely on 2 NCAA banners obtained 32 and 63 years ago. Not being able to make the ECAC final four in a decade does not help either.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I agree. Can't believe it took so many words to essentially say "He is my friend and is such a nice guy therefore... it's impossible for RPI to find a better coach." The conclusion was almost a complete non-sequitur.

I also don't agree with the premise that we expect an instant return to national championship contention. That would be nice of course but everyone understands that it is a challenge. Many simply long for a team that is well coached, heady and competitive. Hard work and intelligence on the ice can overcome a lot. Given our players have to be so darn smart just to get in... I don't think that's an unrealistic expectation at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X