This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Just so that all you posters on the thread do not stay depressed about this rather sudden change for long. Both Jenny and i are now totally back. In fact, I am available for consideration for the open position at this time. Hate to see this having to come to this but must say it was a long time coming. Best advice is to go way out of the program and system for new coaching talent. Have to turn this downward spiral around quickly as we have been a doormat for too long. BTW, I have always felt we had enough talent that we should not have been absent from the ECAC final four over the past 11 years. I truly got upset and tired of giving away our seats in Lake Placid or Atlantic City (or burning them).
    What do we need most? obviously new aggressive coach, new assistants who can coach offensive hockey and the basics that we have been so notoriously poor with, and we need size. Not just big boys but boys who play to their size or bigger. We got sick and tired of watching our kids getting pushed around all over the ice. This sport is for those who are willing to play tough and willing to fight through checks and finish their own checks. Next year does not have to be a typical transition year but with the right guidance, we should be quite capable of competing with anyone.
    All our best to those who expressed concern about us. All those who missed us. You know who you are. Great to be back (really never left but just could not voice our true feelings about what was happening). I still bleed RPI Red!!!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Welcome back Dr. D! Things are looking up already!

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Just so that all you posters on the thread do not stay depressed about this rather sudden change for long. Both Jenny and i are now totally back. In fact, I am available for consideration for the open position at this time. Hate to see this having to come to this but must say it was a long time coming. Best advice is to go way out of the program and system for new coaching talent. Have to turn this downward spiral around quickly as we have been a doormat for too long. BTW, I have always felt we had enough talent that we should not have been absent from the ECAC final four over the past 11 years. I truly got upset and tired of giving away our seats in Lake Placid or Atlantic City (or burning them).
        What do we need most? obviously new aggressive coach, new assistants who can coach offensive hockey and the basics that we have been so notoriously poor with, and we need size. Not just big boys but boys who play to their size or bigger. We got sick and tired of watching our kids getting pushed around all over the ice. This sport is for those who are willing to play tough and willing to fight through checks and finish their own checks. Next year does not have to be a typical transition year but with the right guidance, we should be quite capable of competing with anyone.
        All our best to those who expressed concern about us. All those who missed us. You know who you are. Great to be back (really never left but just could not voice our true feelings about what was happening). I still bleed RPI Red!!!
        Who are you?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Section5forLife View Post
          Fair point, but I'll take my chances. How did Denver know Montgomery was a great bench boss? You just have to go by their laurels and make an educated decision. Barr has coached alongside 2 national championship winning coaches, one of which is arguably the best coach in college hockey. He has made connections in recruiting circles all over North America and spent last season in Mass., a hockey "hotbed" where Appert had zero luck recruiting.
          He had been a head coach in the USHL.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            The biggest thing I ask for, and I'm sure the AD will be happy to do this given this move... no more lengthy contracts. There needs to be some form of accountability without too hefty of a price tag. We got screwed over by Knowlton's extension to 20-21, and we are still paying for it.
            Your hindsight is amazing.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Wow! my day just got brighter (despite the dreary NY weather). Thrilled to have you and Jenny back now if only we can also get the NY Rangers to show some toughness . . . .
              "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                He had been a head coach in the USHL.
                Monty started the Dubuque program. He coached it with ZERO head coaching experience. In 3 years there he was 73 games over .500. In 3 years at Denver he is 34 games over .500 in one of the toughest conferences in the country. He's had his team ranked #1 in the nation. But go back to the USHL for a second. He went there with no head coAching experience and he won the entire thing 2 out of 3 years. You either "have it" or you don't. You don't need experience, you need a chance. Ben Barr has earned atleast the opportunity. RPI in its current state probably couldn't beat some USHL teams.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                  "Hundreds"... that's kind of a shot I think. Clearly he made a lot of friends along the way. He didn't make a lot of hockey players better though. He probably belongs in some type of USA hockey role as his strengths appear to be on the spin side. Gonna miss our "frozen four" quality offense he delivered this season.
                  +1
                  I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

An interesting source for a tweet about SA.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Doc, Great to see you (and Jenny) back on board. I've missed you. LGR
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Fair point, but I'll take my chances. How did Denver know Montgomery was a great bench boss? You just have to go by their laurels and make an educated decision. Barr has coached alongside 2 national championship winning coaches, one of which is arguably the best coach in college hockey. He has made connections in recruiting circles all over North America and spent last season in Mass., a hockey "hotbed" where Appert had zero luck recruiting.
                        Montgomery was a head coach in the USHL, and won the league title with an expansion team in its first year.

Comment

He's back! We've missed you dearly.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            We had a "recruiter" for 11 years. How do we know he's a good bench coach?
                            If nothing else, BB wasn't a goalie, which has been said several times was part of SA's problem.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Monty started the Dubuque program. He coached it with ZERO head coaching experience. In 3 years there he was 73 games over .500. In 3 years at Denver he is 34 games over .500 in one of the toughest conferences in the country. He's had his team ranked #1 in the nation. But go back to the USHL for a second. He went there with no head coAching experience and he won the entire thing 2 out of 3 years. You either "have it" or you don't. You don't need experience, you need a chance. Ben Barr has earned atleast the opportunity. RPI in its current state probably couldn't beat some USHL teams.
                              Fair enough point, although college hockey is a little tricky. Monty, because of the USHL and starting cold, I don't think we can deny his talents. With a guy like Mongo over at Union, sure he's had success, but I would attribute it a bit more to the players he has, especially given some tough finishes the couple of years prior, so the jury's still out. The same could have been applied to Fridgen, who in his first year, coached to an ECAC championship, but from there, well, we know. You just never know, and I do believe a good chunk of us want to be sure so we don't get stuck into a downward cycle.

Comment

Welcome back Dr. D - even non-RPI posters enjoy having you back!
                                Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                                Clarkson 1990

Comment

Working...
                                X