Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

  1. #801
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,684

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Who wrote that? He said that he covered RPI back in the Addesa era, but there is no byline.

  2. #802
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Who wrote that? He said that he covered RPI back in the Addesa era, but there is no byline.
    Steve Amedio a columnist. There's a note st bottom of the piece

  3. #803
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,981

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    One thing I find a bit ironic with the Canisius coach, although nothing to do with the actual coaching search: We've yet to play Canisius. Ever.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  4. #804
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    886

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    The Canisius coach is 4th on my preference list out of 4. While I'm sure there are issues recruiting at Canisius, why would we want a coach with a well below .500 record and extremely limited recruiting reach (look at their roster)? His history is Seth with even less of a recruiting footprint. Grosek would be third on my list because he's a winner with an even more limited recruiting base. If we don't get Riga or Barr I will consider this effort a step backward.

  5. #805
    hockey
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Troy, NY
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    The Canisius coach is 4th on my preference list out of 4. While I'm sure there are issues recruiting at Canisius, why would we want a coach with a well below .500 record and extremely limited recruiting reach (look at their roster)? His history is Seth with even less of a recruiting footprint. Grosek would be third on my list because he's a winner with an even more limited recruiting base. If we don't get Riga or Barr I will consider this effort a step backward.
    If it's smith I may never walk into the hfh again

  6. #806
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    886

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    My biggest concern with throwing Jooris name into the mix was that his connections are undoubtedly overwhelmingly in Ontario and little elsewhere. Well, that's Smith but without the sub-.500 record behind the bench. Jooris could hire recruiters with greater reach to offset his weakness. Who can Smith hire to offset his weaknesses?

  7. #807
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    280

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffCoxSp...41013653762049

    I'm on mobile, not sure that link will work.

  8. #808
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,244

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    The staff needs to be HCs decision, IMO.
    I totally agree with that. I was just asking the question.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  9. #809
    mascot extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,973
    Quote Originally Posted by rsfs04 View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffCoxSp...41013653762049

    I'm on mobile, not sure that link will work.
    I get a message that says "the account you're trying to access has been suspended."

    Edit: never mind I found it

  10. #810
    Just meat with clothes
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,803

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    The Canisius coach is 4th on my preference list out of 4. While I'm sure there are issues recruiting at Canisius, why would we want a coach with a well below .500 record and extremely limited recruiting reach (look at their roster)? His history is Seth with even less of a recruiting footprint. Grosek would be third on my list because he's a winner with an even more limited recruiting base. If we don't get Riga or Barr I will consider this effort a step backward.
    You might want to do a little reading about Coach Smith. Not advocating for him, but I just went to the Canisius hockey page and it was interesting. He is the 2016-2017 AH Coach of the Year and a finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award (Nat'l Coach of the Year; one of 10 finalists). Their goalie is a finalist for the Richter Award. He played at Ohio State for 4 years and played pro hockey for 6 or so years; mostly in the AHL. He has coached 2 Hobey finalists. Servers on the board of College Hockey Inc. Just a few links;

    http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....ATCLID=1464602

    http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....B_OEM_ID=20500

    http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....B_OEM_ID=20500

    The guy probably knows how to coach and I'm sure his recruiting contacts are just fine. I wouldn't be upset if this guy became the coach.

  11. #811
    Just meat with clothes
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,803

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    If it's smith I may never walk into the hfh again
    We all appreciate the heads up.

  12. #812
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    886

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    You might want to do a little reading about Coach Smith. Not advocating for him, but I just went to the Canisius hockey page and it was interesting. He is the 2016-2017 AH Coach of the Year and a finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award (Nat'l Coach of the Year; one of 10 finalists). Their goalie is a finalist for the Richter Award. He played at Ohio State for 4 years and played pro hockey for 6 or so years; mostly in the AHL. He has coached 2 Hobey finalists. Servers on the board of College Hockey Inc. Just a few links;

    http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....ATCLID=1464602

    http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....B_OEM_ID=20500

    http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....B_OEM_ID=20500

    The guy probably knows how to coach and I'm sure his recruiting contacts are just fine. I wouldn't be upset if this guy became the coach.
    The year before they were 12-22-5. In fact, the guy has never had back-to-back .500 or better seasons in 11 years at Canisius. One year riding a hot goalie does not make a great candidate.

  13. #813
    Just meat with clothes
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,803

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    The year before they were 12-22-5. In fact, the guy has never had back-to-back .500 or better seasons in 11 years at Canisius. One year riding a hot goalie does not make a great candidate.
    Read some more

  14. #814
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,099

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Jeff Cox‏ @JeffCoxSports
    One minor issue in contract negotiations is all that remains between RPI officially announcing Dave Smith as its next head coach.
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS


    ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016

    ECAC Tournament Champions
    2016

    NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

    NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

    http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog

  15. #815
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,615

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    One minor issue in contract negotiations is all that lies between Dave Smith being announced as new coach at RPI:

    http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/ecac...-barr-ed-gosek

  16. #816
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    886

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Those were fluff pieces with content such as, "Canisius has also enjoyed a long history of success at the professional level outside of playing the game, highlighted most recently by two-time Griff captain Peter MacDougall ’10 being named an NHL referee in 2016." He may turn out to be a good head coach, but his record doesn't show it and I'd be lying if I didn't say hiring him would be a massive disappointment.

    Edit: In fact, I 'll go one step further and say McElroy is making the same bonehead move that the Colonel made. Both gave coaches with weak histories coming off a single good season anchored by an excellent goalie a new contract. I'd prefer to see an extended record of excellence, even if it is as an assistant.

    Try this one to get everyone excited: http://www.uscho.com/stats/coach/mid,1127/dave-smith/
    Last edited by rpi82; 04-03-2017 at 01:50 PM.

  17. #817
    Just meat with clothes
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,803

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    Those were fluff pieces with content such as, "Canisius has also enjoyed a long history of success at the professional level outside of playing the game, highlighted most recently by two-time Griff captain Peter MacDougall 10 being named an NHL referee in 2016." He may turn out to be a good head coach, but his record doesn't show it and I'd be lying if I didn't say hiring him would be a massive disappointment.

    Try this one: http://www.uscho.com/stats/coach/mid,1127/dave-smith/
    I get it. As I stated, I'm not advocating for the guy. It was just that people on here were making it look like the guy was Happy Gilmore. I am guessing he was coaching at an institution with way less resources than RPI. They just opened a new rink a season or two ago which probably had some effect on recruiting. Since it appears he is our new coach, let's support him and see where it takes us.

  18. #818
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,981

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    If it's smith I may never walk into the hfh again
    Can I have your tickets? And the wife's if she doesn't want to go either?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  19. #819
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Niskayuna, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    Those were fluff pieces with content such as, "Canisius has also enjoyed a long history of success at the professional level outside of playing the game, highlighted most recently by two-time Griff captain Peter MacDougall 10 being named an NHL referee in 2016." He may turn out to be a good head coach, but his record doesn't show it and I'd be lying if I didn't say hiring him would be a massive disappointment.

    Try this one: http://www.uscho.com/stats/coach/mid,1127/dave-smith/
    Not sure how this will pan out but 2 of the people that know alot more than I do thought he was the best of the 4 candidates for this program. Seemed to start circulating yesterday that is was between him and Gosek which could mean a couple differentry things. One is that they desired a coach with head coaching experience. Could be he just interviewed beter. Or maybe others weren't as interested as some thought.

  20. #820
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,981

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by johnk View Post
    Not sure how this will pan out but 2 of the people that know alot more than I do thought he was the best of the 4 candidates for this program. Seemed to start circulating yesterday that is was between him and Gosek which could mean a couple differentry things. One is that they desired a coach with head coaching experience. Could be he just interviewed beter. Or maybe others weren't as interested as some thought.
    It doesn't surprise me we want a HC, especially considering we've been burned by two ACs. Rinse and repeat what was said earlier about condemning. A point was also made that Belichick was a flop on his first coaching job, so maybe Smith will do better this time around. I think what we can conclude from this is that past performance does not guarantee future results. Alls I know is, whomever is named head coach, you have my support in your endeavor, but you also have 5 years to put a smile on my face, and then if you do, positive consistency is my expectation, whether we win, lose, or tie.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •