Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

  1. #681
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,588

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    From the story....... What really bothers me about what is happening there now is that the administration doesn’t seem to care,” said Frank Chiarelli, who captained the 1954 title team, and scored 155 goals in a four-year career. “They have available to them, in the immediate Tri-City area, a group of RPI hockey graduates, knowledgeable people. And that they would take to hire a coach, and have the people that select the coach that are not hockey people, is unconscionable... To me it looks like they couldn’t care less. They just completely ignore the tradition that exists there.” http://www.troyrecord.com/general-ne...ampaign=buffer

  2. #682
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston Field House
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by ServinisScores View Post

    This is disheartening and yes very eye opening. Kind of sheds a new light on the coaching search.
    Last edited by DavidSec17; 03-30-2017 at 07:55 PM.

  3. #683
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,026

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    seems to me hiring A search firm with no college hockey background was a real kick in the spuds for hockey alum.Shirley is a real piece of work.If I were her i wouldn`t bother sending donation letters to any of them. They are really ticked and rightfully so IMO

  4. #684
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    245

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by RegalFan View Post
    Why? When picking a school they are really picking a coach to play for so why then not have their input? Ultimately the AD is going to make the final decision. And many corporations today have the employee involved in interviewing their bosses, its really pretty common. Why should the opinion of the janitorial staff or financial aid officials or professors weigh more than the student athlete? If you believe the players shouldn't be involved then how do you feel about the current Assistant Coaches? They're involved in the process, they want to keep their jobs so wouldn't you think Nolan Graham is going to push for Ben Barr since they were teammates and the likelihood of him staying on would be greater? Today's player knows what it takes to win and what their short comings are, shouldn't they at least be afforded the opportunity to make a case for the candidate they feel is best for them and the institution going forward? Just like any business hiring the CEO or in this case the AD is going to make the final decision. In the case of SLU, they hired a coach that the players were not supportive of and if you talk to the parents of those players it hasn't been a good match. IMO and its just my opinion the student athletes currently involved have the most at stake and they should at least be listened to. I'm not saying they should make the decision but their opinions should at least have a voice. And RPI is not the only school that has players as a part of the process. This again is common practice.
    Did you just make the SLU part up? From what was reported last year the players (about 5 or 6 upperclassmen) were all on the search committee. The only one I can really be sure of is Dahl, don't know who the others were but they were involved in the process.

  5. #685
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,614

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    direct link to Record article
    http://www.troyrecord.com/general-ne...ampaign=buffer

    most interesting
    Certainly hard to fathom why they wouldn't include the brethren. Also sheds spotlight on how many hats Seth was wearing....
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

  6. #686
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by techtodenver View Post
    Did you just make the SLU part up? From what was reported last year the players (about 5 or 6 upperclassmen) were all on the search committee. The only one I can really be sure of is Dahl, don't know who the others were but they were involved in the process.
    Nope, not making the SLU part up. Players favored a different candidate not the coach that was hired.

  7. #687
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Side, HFH
    Posts
    901

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    direct link to Record article
    http://www.troyrecord.com/general-ne...ampaign=buffer

    most interesting
    I wonder if The Polytecnic Sports Editor or the President of the Union ever sees this thread? Or have this brought to their attention? Every now and then you come across some real news in the Troy Record...
    (Thank you, Sam Blum.)
    Last edited by fr. joe; 03-30-2017 at 08:42 PM.

  8. #688
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    245

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by RegalFan View Post
    Nope, not making the SLU part up. Players favored a different candidate not the coach that was hired.
    Typical SLU, Marsh probably pushed Morris right to the top, interesting to find out, thanks.

  9. #689
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,588

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Record article about the future of RPI hockey http://www.troyrecord.com/opinion/20...ive-rpi-hockey.
    .....after reading today’s article I looked to see who the author was. Seeing it was Sam Blum, nice job BTW, I wondered if it was from the same person who wrote that “fluff” piece earlier (which is what I copied above). No name was in the by-line though.....

  10. #690
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,614

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Random thoughts/rants:

    - Great reporting by Blum -- best piece of real RPI hockey journalism we've seen in quite some time

    - I'm on record as supporting McElroy because I witnessed what he did at UA --and I'll own that stance. That said, his response to the reporter's inquiry was ARROGANT and JUVENILE. It sends an F U message to alumni and fans....Horrible. HORRIBLE

    - Having attended the AD's hockey pizza party, I couldn't help but soak in the symbolism when they didn't have enough pizza for the crowd. Mix in the alumni snub, and clearly we are a program at a crossroads. Either they are going to create the framework AND funding to make this a competitive D1 program, or we will wither away. I don't see any middle ground.

    The optics of this search are awful. Kevin Beattie needs to start earning his pay and get some positive news perking...ASAP
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

  11. #691
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,026

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    i wonder if this article and opinions expressed will change anything at this point?seems like the tute screws up in a new way every time a change is made with hockey program.frustrating

  12. #692
    Not a player, I just crush a lot
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht
    Posts
    25,258

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by RegalFan View Post
    Ultimately the AD is going to make the final decision.
    This is RPI we're talking about. There's only one person who makes final decisions and it isn't the AD.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

  13. #693
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,614

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    I just re-read the article again. Depending on the reader, you could view it as a sour grapes piece from the alumni. Either you are part of the solution or you aren't. I've never seen any of the guys in that story put their name on or attend a golf outing or other type of fund raiser. And I know it wasn't from a lack invites...

    I've never bought the argument that our building is holding us back. Do we need further updates? Sure, but we have a top notch training facility right next door at the ECAV. Union has made HUGE strides in a crappy building due not only to great coaching and recruiting, but in part to expansive growth of the Garnet Blades club. That equates to cold hard cash for the hockey program. As the story related, Seth was doing everything but sharpening skates....commitment and funding from the admin is needed, but they need to harvest the alumni connections --hockey engage the heritage as we move forward with what is hopefully a bright future.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

  14. #694
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Random thoughts/rants:

    - Great reporting by Blum -- best piece of real RPI hockey journalism we've seen in quite some time

    - I'm on record as supporting McElroy because I witnessed what he did at UA --and I'll own that stance. That said, his response to the reporter's inquiry was ARROGANT and JUVENILE. It sends an F U message to alumni and fans....Horrible. HORRIBLE

    - Having attended the AD's hockey pizza party, I couldn't help but soak in the symbolism when they didn't have enough pizza for the crowd. Mix in the alumni snub, and clearly we are a program at a crossroads. Either they are going to create the framework AND funding to make this a competitive D1 program, or we will wither away. I don't see any middle ground.

    The optics of this search are awful. Kevin Beattie needs to start earning his pay and get some positive news perking...ASAP
    Some ADs don't want people that really know their stuff involved.

  15. #695
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Today is 31 March 2017. There are 184 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

  16. #696
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    .....after reading today’s article I looked to see who the author was. Seeing it was Sam Blum, nice job BTW, I wondered if it was from the same person who wrote that “fluff” piece earlier (which is what I copied above). No name was in the by-line though.....
    I am confused. What did you copy above? Could you provide a link? Your last post was about the alumni article.

  17. #697
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    186,733

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Next thread:

    RPI 2017 Off-Season, Part II: We Post More Now Than During the Season

  18. #698
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by johnk View Post
    I can't translate for this moron but I'm guessing the underlying meaning is... JEALOUS!!!!!
    Oh how wrong you are. It was more of a parody of idiotic Union fans from 2010. But keep telling yourself the same fake news.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  19. #699
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,248

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I just re-read the article again. Depending on the reader, you could view it as a sour grapes piece from the alumni. Either you are part of the solution or you aren't. I've never seen any of the guys in that story put their name on or attend a golf outing or other type of fund raiser. And I know it wasn't from a lack invites...

    I've never bought the argument that our building is holding us back. Do we need further updates? Sure, but we have a top notch training facility right next door at the ECAV. Union has made HUGE strides in a crappy building due not only to great coaching and recruiting, but in part to expansive growth of the Garnet Blades club. That equates to cold hard cash for the hockey program. As the story related, Seth was doing everything but sharpening skates....commitment and funding from the admin is needed, but they need to harvest the alumni connections --hockey engage the heritage as we move forward with what is hopefully a bright future.
    As I read the article, all I could think of was, I hope none of the current recruits read it.
    I am sure that all of the recruits coming to RPI for the education will still be here, but if they are looking for a professional hockey career, they just might want to opt out.
    This was not a good read on so many levels.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  20. #700
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Niskayuna, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,373

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Oh how wrong you are. It was more of a parody of idiotic Union fans from 2010. But keep telling yourself the same fake news.
    Ok Cliffy! 7 years later Union fans being idiotic still bothers you. Obsessed???

    More importantly, I will repeat myself that unless Ben Barr has been a foregone conclusion, this search is a joke! An why the hell Mark Jooris is not the lead candidate right now is just as big of a joke!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •