Been reading and thought about commenting but figured I'd hold off until dust settled a bit. Just to throw my opinion in on a few things:
- HFH is not a drag on the program... that's absurd. It's on par with or better than 1/2 the facilities out there. And the old barn has charm... ask anyone from Northeastern about old barns. It's not just the barn though.... it's the atmosphere and that changes with winning more than renovation.
- Someone claimed Harvard has a lousy rink. That's ridiculous. One of my favorite places to watch a college game.
- If Barr were the leader in the clubhouse... maybe the interview didn't go well? Or maybe he asked Fridge for inputs and based on local dope wanted assurances the admin wouldn't give
- I would gladly have found them as good or better a coach for $45K. Next time I'll get my bid in and then just hire Jooris
- Smith got the job, I don't know why, but I wish him well.
- All I want is a coach that can run a bench, make in game adjustments and instill discipline to a heady hockey team. A microcosm for the Appert era for me was watching Milos Bubela play selfish, lazy hockey and not suffer any consequences. My 12 year old, at the time, noticed it. A D1 coach can't let that happen - I don't care if you need to play club team players instead.
- No one is asking RPI to be a perennial powerhouse.. we just want a team that is entertaining and competes - with the occasional trip to Lake Placid... every third year or so would be fine.
- Stop whining about how hard it is to get into RPI. That's not the problem. Hockey is an elitist sport filled with Canadians and prep school kids. There are enough smart ones among them to get recruits. Plenty of those kids are interested in management and business.
- As for recruiting Yes... getting first round draft picks on a one and done might not be on the docket... but the overage player playing 4 years has a big strength advantage on the 18 year old wunderkid. Case in point... world juniors... Greenway was a beast against 18 and 19 year olds... was not so noticeable in HE games. Overage players who play 4 years is how Merrimack and UMass Lowell compete in HE.
Nice picture of Mr. Smith above. Does his wife look like Angeline Jolie?