Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

You have not enough minerals.

Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Section5forLife View Post
    Fair point, but I'll take my chances. How did Denver know Montgomery was a great bench boss? You just have to go by their laurels and make an educated decision. Barr has coached alongside 2 national championship winning coaches, one of which is arguably the best coach in college hockey. He has made connections in recruiting circles all over North America and spent last season in Mass., a hockey "hotbed" where Appert had zero luck recruiting.
    Montgomery was a head coach in the USHL, and won the league title with an expansion team in its first year.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Just so that all you posters on the thread do not stay depressed about this rather sudden change for long. Both Jenny and i are now totally back. In fact, I am available for consideration for the open position at this time. Hate to see this having to come to this but must say it was a long time coming. Best advice is to go way out of the program and system for new coaching talent. Have to turn this downward spiral around quickly as we have been a doormat for too long. BTW, I have always felt we had enough talent that we should not have been absent from the ECAC final four over the past 11 years. I truly got upset and tired of giving away our seats in Lake Placid or Atlantic City (or burning them).
    What do we need most? obviously new aggressive coach, new assistants who can coach offensive hockey and the basics that we have been so notoriously poor with, and we need size. Not just big boys but boys who play to their size or bigger. We got sick and tired of watching our kids getting pushed around all over the ice. This sport is for those who are willing to play tough and willing to fight through checks and finish their own checks. Next year does not have to be a typical transition year but with the right guidance, we should be quite capable of competing with anyone.
    All our best to those who expressed concern about us. All those who missed us. You know who you are. Great to be back (really never left but just could not voice our true feelings about what was happening). I still bleed RPI Red!!!
    He's back! We've missed you dearly.

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    We had a "recruiter" for 11 years. How do we know he's a good bench coach?
    If nothing else, BB wasn't a goalie, which has been said several times was part of SA's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Section5forLife View Post
    Monty started the Dubuque program. He coached it with ZERO head coaching experience. In 3 years there he was 73 games over .500. In 3 years at Denver he is 34 games over .500 in one of the toughest conferences in the country. He's had his team ranked #1 in the nation. But go back to the USHL for a second. He went there with no head coAching experience and he won the entire thing 2 out of 3 years. You either "have it" or you don't. You don't need experience, you need a chance. Ben Barr has earned atleast the opportunity. RPI in its current state probably couldn't beat some USHL teams.
    Fair enough point, although college hockey is a little tricky. Monty, because of the USHL and starting cold, I don't think we can deny his talents. With a guy like Mongo over at Union, sure he's had success, but I would attribute it a bit more to the players he has, especially given some tough finishes the couple of years prior, so the jury's still out. The same could have been applied to Fridgen, who in his first year, coached to an ECAC championship, but from there, well, we know. You just never know, and I do believe a good chunk of us want to be sure so we don't get stuck into a downward cycle.

clarkson 1990

Just so that all you posters on the thread do not stay depressed about this rather sudden change for long. Both Jenny and i are now totally back. In fact, I am available for consideration for the open position at this time. Hate to see this having to come to this but must say it was a long time coming. Best advice is to go way out of the program and system for new coaching talent. Have to turn this downward spiral around quickly as we have been a doormat for too long. BTW, I have always felt we had enough talent that we should not have been absent from the ECAC final four over the past 11 years. I truly got upset and tired of giving away our seats in Lake Placid or Atlantic City (or burning them).
    What do we need most? obviously new aggressive coach, new assistants who can coach offensive hockey and the basics that we have been so notoriously poor with, and we need size. Not just big boys but boys who play to their size or bigger. We got sick and tired of watching our kids getting pushed around all over the ice. This sport is for those who are willing to play tough and willing to fight through checks and finish their own checks. Next year does not have to be a typical transition year but with the right guidance, we should be quite capable of competing with anyone.
    All our best to those who expressed concern about us. All those who missed us. You know who you are. Great to be back (really never left but just could not voice our true feelings about what was happening). I still bleed RPI Red!!!
    Welcome back Dr. D - even non-RPI posters enjoy having you back!
    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
    Clarkson 1990

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    If nothing else, BB wasn't a goalie, which has been said several times was part of SA's problem.
    You can say that again; in the last few years, we've seemed clueless in front of our own blue line.

I wonder if Mark Jooris is being considered or would consider the position himself.

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post

Welcome back Doc!

These 2 coaches have some pretty impressive resumes.

Tim Spadafore is apparently no longer an alumnus.

hockey
    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post

Benny played with coach graham in 03 correct ?

Don't know much about the other 2 guys

Quote Originally Posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    Benny played with coach graham in 03 correct ?

Don't know much about the other 2 guys
    01/02 & 02/03

mascot extraordinaire
    Happy to see that you made your reappearance here instead of the Cafe's Dead thread
    Last edited by jericho; 03-07-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Lammers might be interesting. Dubuque seems to be a bit of a powerhouse that is just reloading ever since Monty set them up for success. Of course, that could be saying a lot in that he's able to keep the team doing very well, similar to what we've seen with Pecknold at Quinnipiac. Might not be a bad look.

Muse has turned around the Steel this year, but I do wonder how long we have to wait for improvements, as it did take an additional year with the Steel not doing so well previously; is he going to be highly dependent on "his guys", and what happens with the injury curve ball we've seem to have been bitten by quite a bit?

Another name from the past, but one who didn't play for SA. (Vic Pereira)

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-07-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Kerins's tweets are protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Allain was a goalie.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by LTsatch View Post
    Allain was a goalie.
    There are exceptions to every rule.

except for the rule which I just posted

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Lammers might be interesting. Dubuque seems to be a bit of a powerhouse that is just reloading ever since Monty set them up for success. Of course, that could be saying a lot in that he's able to keep the team doing very well, similar to what we've seen with Pecknold at Quinnipiac. Might not be a bad look.

Muse has turned around the Steel this year, but I do wonder how long we have to wait for improvements, as it did take an additional year with the Steel not doing so well previously; is he going to be highly dependent on "his guys", and what happens with the injury curve ball we've seem to have been bitten by quite a bit?
    Muse was an essential part of the Yale turnaround and knows the league very well. He is certainly missed here.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Thread Information