X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by johnk View Post
    100% interested.

And you know this for a fact? Yes he has Jr coaching experience but he has no experience at the College level. Yes he's an alum but why does that make him the right guy? Too many people are hung up on alumni as coaches. If having an Alum was the right thing then more then 20% of D1 schools would have an Alum as their HC.

The one thing that matters most in hockey is winning. All else will follow if you have a winning program. HFH is not the bright and shinny star but take one look at North Dakota. They build a $100 million dollar facility and now they are cutting sports because of a budget short fall. HFH has a great atmosphere. Could it use some refurbishing yes. That's why the school is spending $22 million over the next 2 years. Kids have a great workout facility next door but they are building a new workout facility for the hockey players inside HFH.

My choice if I had one would be Bill Riga. He knows the ECAC inside and out. Helped put Union on the right path. Has been instrumental in the success at QPac. Has HC experience in Junior hockey in the EJHL and knows our team inside and out as it currently is constructed. He's best prepared to hit the ground running and make a quick turnaround. The other 3 candidates don't know this team. Barr has no HC experience and a great recruiter doesn't translate into a successful HC (see SA). Gosek has had tremendous success at Oswego and would be my second choice but at 56 yrs of age why leave now. Smith, his record as a HC is no different than SA and he's riding the success of a goaltender this year. Agree that there had to be other candidates out there but of the ones the school has chosen to interview, Riga hands down is the guy for the job IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
      And you know this for a fact?
      Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
        RPI 2017 Off-Season, Part II: Raising the Barr
        Great title, but assuming that he gets the job, wouldn't it be better for the season itself?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
          And you know this for a fact? Yes he has Jr coaching experience but he has no experience at the College level. Yes he's an alum but why does that make him the right guy? Too many people are hung up on alumni as coaches. If having an Alum was the right thing then more then 20% of D1 schools would have an Alum as their HC.

The one thing that matters most in hockey is winning. All else will follow if you have a winning program. HFH is not the bright and shinny star but take one look at North Dakota. They build a $100 million dollar facility and now they are cutting sports because of a budget short fall. HFH has a great atmosphere. Could it use some refurbishing yes. That's why the school is spending $22 million over the next 2 years. Kids have a great workout facility next door but they are building a new workout facility for the hockey players inside HFH.

My choice if I had one would be Bill Riga. He knows the ECAC inside and out. Helped put Union on the right path. Has been instrumental in the success at QPac. Has HC experience in Junior hockey in the EJHL and knows our team inside and out as it currently is constructed. He's best prepared to hit the ground running and make a quick turnaround. The other 3 candidates don't know this team. Barr has no HC experience and a great recruiter doesn't translate into a successful HC (see SA). Gosek has had tremendous success at Oswego and would be my second choice but at 56 yrs of age why leave now. Smith, his record as a HC is no different than SA and he's riding the success of a goaltender this year. Agree that there had to be other candidates out there but of the ones the school has chosen to interview, Riga hands down is the guy for the job IMO.
          Are you RegalFan or RigaFan?
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            A Riga fan? I thought Orion, Perseus and Andromeda were neighbors, and of course, Riga fans.

Ralph, Ursa Major might become a Riga fan, too?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              The building may or may not hold back some recruits but THAT is not the issue of support (read as funding) for a team. It's not just the HC salary either, it's everything.

When alumni are not engaged or don't seem to be it's not about the invites. Think about it, it's an invite to a fund raiser, why not an invite to just meet and talk. Somewhere the relationship went awry. Why, who, what, where and reasoning who knows but a concerted effort needs to be made if that is important. I know and have seen this first hand and how that can change.

If the admin does not care and I mean from the TOP-DOWN then it's a losing battle. Have seen this as well first hand and how it affects athletics.

Look out there, the RPI story is not that different than other schools that have been in this situation. Some have found the answer, some not, but the answer always seems to be some mix of the proper coach, his staff and funding.
              When it comes to funds, I do wonder how many alums are apprehensive about supporting something owned by SAJ, especially since the hostile takeover of the team from the Student Union...

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                Ok Cliffy! 7 years later Union fans being idiotic still bothers you. Obsessed???
                RIP Sarcasm.

Comment

glad union lost a ton of firepower early
                  I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                    A Riga fan? I thought Orion, Perseus and Andromeda were neighbors, and of course, Riga fans.

Ralph, Ursa Major might become a Riga fan, too?
                    I am Ursus, not Ursa, as pointed out to me years ago on ELynah.

Ursus : Ursa :: Alumnus : Alumna
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                      glad union lost a ton of firepower early
                      Who cares? Seriously. We don't have a coach and I'm concerned who'd want to come here after reading this article.

I'm more concerned about how this program is floundering as opposed to how Union lost players to the NHL after another NCAA berth.
                      Last edited by DavidSec17; 03-31-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        RPI 2017 Off-Season, Part II: Raising the Barr
                        Or Barr Down.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Sam Blum's well-sourced news story made the front page of today's Troy Record, above the fold.

Comment

I am Ursus, not Ursa, as pointed out to me years ago on ELynah.

Ursus : Ursa :: Alumnus : Alumna
                            You're still our star, Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              When it comes to funds, I do wonder how many alums are apprehensive about supporting something owned by SAJ, especially since the hostile takeover of the team from the Student Union...
                              It was a hostile takeover by the admin. However, the funding problems have been with us for some time. Certainly the admin hasn't improved things...

Comment

Gee I'm not really sure

Seriously though, as a FAN of the program ... I've read a lot about there being an issue of funding. Would someone please explain to me where this program is lacking in funds? Its been reported that the SA was making $250k and had 4 years remaining on his contract when he was let go. I would say it is safe to assume his two AC's were making over $80k each plus all have cars and cell phones that the University provides. The players all have top notch equipment. When they travel they are in good hotels, food is provided and on and on. What funding is lacking. I've never played D1 or been around a D1 program so I have nothing to compare to so if someone can enlighten me as to what RPI is lacking in fundamental support I would appreciate the response.

Comment

Working...
                                X