Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    I'm curious, how many alum posters on here even want a relaxation of the academic standards? Count me in the NO group. Very emphatically.
    I also do not want a relaxation of the academic standards.

Today is 20 March 2017. There are 195 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

I'm curious, how many alum posters on here even want a relaxation of the academic standards? Count me in the NO group. Very emphatically.
    I'll throw the hat I don't wear because my head's too big in there.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

[QUOTE=son-of-alumn;6468448SA just never understood/cared/focused on east coast recruiting. Totally ignored the players most likely to choose rpi.[/QUOTE] Ryan Haggerty (Conn.), Nick Bailen (Buffalo Area), Drew Melanson (NJ).
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Waite21 View Post
    I'm not an alum so my vote doesn't count. I think this a majority of alumni and this will be Barr's biggest obstacle.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

I'm going to leave you all for a bit while I "run silent and run deep" (Ralph notice sub, ocean reference). Remind me next time to tell you guys why I think the Tute is more suited and should be playing in Atlantic Hockey. Also, Congrats to Jim Knowlton and AF on winning that league. Jimmy was/is a hockey guy through and through.

PUCKMAN RULES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Waite21 View Post
    Me too.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

I'm an Implant Engineer

this alum doesn't want, nor sees no need to lessen the standards. Need to remember 2 of the top NHL alumni from RPI were not only engineers, but graduated w/ high honors.

And as far as the HFH goes, the arena + atmosphere puts it in the top half of the league. Been to Colgate, Dartmouth, Harvard, Brown lately?
    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

PUCKMAN RULES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    I'm not an alum so my vote doesn't count. I think this a majority of alumni and this will be Barr's biggest obstacle.
    The biggest obstacle to any new coach will be the following.
    A program that doesn't win.
    And the lack of players making it to the NHL.
    Going back almost twenty years, we have had Matt Murley, Brad Tapper, Brian Pothier and Brandon Pirri play more than a hand full of games in the NHL.
    Anyone with professional aspirations will want to go to a school that can get you a shot at the big time.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Not a player, I just crush a lot
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    IIRC, Oates did, but the great majority major in Business and Management.
    This is treated like a joke for no good reason. Yeah, a lot of the team majors in Management. So what?
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Not a player, I just crush a lot
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht

Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    Remind me next time to tell you guys why I think the Tute is more suited and should be playing in Atlantic Hockey.
    No.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Quote Originally Posted by ServinisScores View Post
    this alum doesn't want, nor sees no need to lessen the standards. Need to remember 2 of the top NHL alumni from RPI were not only engineers, but graduated w/ high honors.
    'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away'

Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post
    This is treated like a joke for no good reason. Yeah, a lot of the team majors in Management. So what?
    All I was commenting on was that few major in Communication and most major in Management, not the fact that son-of-alumn feels that implies that RPI has relaxed its standards. I suspect that my average would have been lower had I majored in Management at the time I was at RPI. As to Communication, it should be obvious from my posts that I am lacking in that regard.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

As to Communication, it should be obvious from my posts that I am lacking in that regard.
    I'm not sure that's limited to you. After all, didn't they add communications classes to the core curriculum for engineering recently? I know they weren't required when I was there (just Professional Development), but I had heard some things have changed.
    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 03-20-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I'm not sure that's limited to you. After all, didn't they add communications classes to the core curriculum for engineering recently? I know they weren't required when I was there (just Professional Development), but I had heard some things have changed.
    Makes a lot of sense. If you can't explain the why (communications and subsequent change mgmt) then the what (engineering) does not get to swim in as big a pond.

I hire a lot of data engineers, scientists, and analysts and won't hire anyone that can't effectively present their work or their ideas to non-technical audiences.

hockey
    Today is 19 March 2017. There are 196 days (28 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
    Pizza with the players Wednesday night. Wonder if coaches will. BE there also

Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Makes a lot of sense. If you can't explain the why (communications and subsequent change mgmt) then the what (engineering) does not get to swim in as big a pond.

I hire a lot of data engineers, scientists, and analysts and won't hire anyone that can't effectively present their work or their ideas to non-technical audiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    Pizza with the players Wednesday night. Wonder if coaches will. BE there also
    Bothman,

Then again, I am far from the bottom in my language skills. I am really struggling with the second period in rvdstar69's post.

I Still bleed RPI Red

I would want them as tough as they have always been. I want only smart BIG hockey players on this team who can skate like the wind and put the puck into the net with regularity.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

I Still bleed RPI Red

Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    The biggest obstacle to any new coach will be the following.
    A program that doesn't win.
    And the lack of players making it to the NHL.
    Going back almost twenty years, we have had Matt Murley, Brad Tapper, Brian Pothier and Brandon Pirri play more than a hand full of games in the NHL.
    Anyone with professional aspirations will want to go to a school that can get you a shot at the big time.
    Total yes to all of that but add that any recruit coming in would want to be seen and noticed on a national basis. RPI does not often get as much exposure that other teams do, even in the same conference, and that has to be overcome. Not being in the final four at Placid or AC in the past many years has no doubt hurt in that regard. When you are not playing in a hockey mecca like Boston, you really have to get the exposure that a yearly visit to the championships (win or lose) gives.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Total yes to all of that but add that any recruit coming in would want to be seen and noticed on a national basis. RPI does not often get as much exposure that other teams do, even in the same conference, and that has to be overcome. Not being in the final four at Placid or AC in the past many years has no doubt hurt in that regard. When you are not playing in a hockey mecca like Boston, you really have to get the exposure that a yearly visit to the championships (win or lose) gives.
    If the recruit is good they will get exposure, doesn't matter where you play it matters who the coaches know and how much they can develop a player.

Academics should not be touched, they fit in or they don't. There is a reason they have major juniors etc.

One can argue that HALF the programs don't win. So you recruit on getting playing time, building something and a great degree.

NHL aspirations? Few for many teams, question is can you develop your players, and I think there are a few nearby programs that have been successful with NO NHL players on them.

You can argue what you like about the HFH, great old barn, team wins it will be packed. Team doesn't it won't. Will some recruits look at it and say no way? Possible but if that's the kind of recruit the coach is looking at he is not the right guy.

Look around, the formula is out there, been done before and will again. It comes down to, getting the right coaches, is the hockey culture there, and does the team get the proper funding it needs.

Thread Information