Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

  1. #881
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    187,296

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Wouldn't that require the school to break this year's contract? And have we heard anything different from them about their upholding of the contract? Once the new coach is instated, we'll see if he convinces the AD to change their mind about Conger.
    You have said this many times but these contracts are often broken.

    Do we want a hockey player who doesn't want us?

  2. #882
    I'm an Implant Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Shore of MA
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Conger isn't the first to break a commitment, nor will he be the last player to do so. His status is neither a referendum on the program, nor the coach. Recruiting solid players who play as a team and perform on the ice is the metric that needs improvement. Maybe even an appearance in Lake Placid?
    Class of '93

    16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

  3. #883
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    .
    You are correct re: strength coaching. I confirmed what I knew to be accurate with a former athlete in another sport. The hockey team has daily interaction with strength and fitness staff... the team also had an outside performance consultant that SA brought in ..whose name escapes me.

    RPI uses video analytics...not sure why folks are operating on the assumption that they don't. Even on road trips, Video review is done with each player on plays from the Friday game as well as scouting review of the Sat evening opponents.
    I'm not sure where your information is coming from but a team video session of the prior nights game is not analytics. This team did not do weekly one on one video review. With that being said Dave Smith met with his former Canisius players last night to inform them that he was leaving. No notice yet to the RPI players that he's been hired.

  4. #884
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,457

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    You have said this many times but these contracts are often broken.

    Do we want a hockey player who doesn't want us?
    Unfortunately, that's not my call. And we don't know if RPI is going to strictly hold the contract (and the athletic scholarship that comes with it).
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  5. #885
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,457

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by ServinisScores View Post
    Conger isn't the first to break a commitment, nor will he be the last player to do so. His status is neither a referendum on the program, nor the coach. Recruiting solid players who play as a team and perform on the ice is the metric that needs improvement. Maybe even an appearance in Lake Placid?
    True, but typically when these commitments are broken, they are done under the agreement of the institution with which they signed. Obviously Appert was able to get RPI to break NLI with a couple players for the purposes of deferring the player, but with a new coach coming in, what sort of clout will they have in those terms? The position of RPI, when I asked, was that they will not break NLI. Obviously this could change, but until we hear something concrete that they did, I have to say that their reporting of their position still stands.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  6. #886
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,457

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by RegalFan View Post
    I'm not sure where your information is coming from but a team video session of the prior nights game is not analytics. This team did not do weekly one on one video review. With that being said Dave Smith met with his former Canisius players last night to inform them that he was leaving. No notice yet to the RPI players that he's been hired.
    And how do you know that they aren't? You've been making quite a number of accusations here on straight facts (i.e. not commentary), but not much to back it up. There are some people on this board with sources that are quite trustworthy.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  7. #887
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    And how do you know that they aren't? You've been making quite a number of accusations here on straight facts (i.e. not commentary), but not much to back it up. There are some people on this board with sources that are quite trustworthy.
    I'd be happy reveal the source, let me know how to do that privately.

  8. #888
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,314

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by RegalFan View Post
    I'd be happy reveal the source, let me know how to do that privately.
    Names are not necessary. A "team member" (could be either coaches or players) no one needs to know which. Alumni, Administrator.
    Just a few examples.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  9. #889
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Kevin Broad is going to be on 104.5 ESPN the team at 11:15am
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  10. #890
    Conductor emeritus
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    3,143

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Just popping in to give my opinion of the whole thing. Nothing particularly new, but I want to type it out.

    Just as he appears to have been for most of us, Smith was by far the least exciting of the four finalists to me. Sure he has real D-I coaching experience, but that experience is leading Canisius to a bad-to-mediocre record year after year. This past year should be considered an aberration driven by spectacular goaltending, not the norm. It's lovely that he helped turn around Canisius 11 years ago, but I don't think the problems he fixed there are the problems we face as a program now. I don't mean to really put Smith down here, and choosing him was not his own fault, but the administrations. Maybe Ben Barr didn't want to coach here, whether due to lack of funds or resources or just because he thinks he has a shot at higher-profile programs. Maybe Riga and Gosek thought they had better gigs currently. But until I'm shown otherwise, I will assume that Smith was chosen because he was the cheapest and easiest option, not because he was the best.

    I'm still going to cheer for RPI, and I hope Smith proves us all wrong, but I have a hard time imagining the program improving significantly with him at the helm, simply because the administration really just doesn't seem to give a ****.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

    2014-2015 ECAC Pick the Standings Last Place
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner Up

  11. #891
    I'm an Implant Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Shore of MA
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    True, but typically when these commitments are broken, they are done under the agreement of the institution with which they signed. Obviously Appert was able to get RPI to break NLI with a couple players for the purposes of deferring the player, but with a new coach coming in, what sort of clout will they have in those terms? The position of RPI, when I asked, was that they will not break NLI. Obviously this could change, but until we hear something concrete that they did, I have to say that their reporting of their position still stands.
    Who cares. We're not talking about the next Charlie McAvoy. Move along until we get real news.
    Class of '93

    16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

  12. #892
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    187,296

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future


  13. #893
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    30

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut92 View Post
    Just popping in to give my opinion of the whole thing. Nothing particularly new, but I want to type it out.

    Just as he appears to have been for most of us, Smith was by far the least exciting of the four finalists to me. Sure he has real D-I coaching experience, but that experience is leading Canisius to a bad-to-mediocre record year after year. This past year should be considered an aberration driven by spectacular goaltending, not the norm. It's lovely that he helped turn around Canisius 11 years ago, but I don't think the problems he fixed there are the problems we face as a program now. I don't mean to really put Smith down here, and choosing him was not his own fault, but the administrations. Maybe Ben Barr didn't want to coach here, whether due to lack of funds or resources or just because he thinks he has a shot at higher-profile programs. Maybe Riga and Gosek thought they had better gigs currently. But until I'm shown otherwise, I will assume that Smith was chosen because he was the cheapest and easiest option, not because he was the best.

    I'm still going to cheer for RPI, and I hope Smith proves us all wrong, but I have a hard time imagining the program improving significantly with him at the helm, simply because the administration really just doesn't seem to give a ****.
    totally agree.

  14. #894
    I'm an Implant Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Shore of MA
    Posts
    1,418

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut92 View Post
    Just popping in to give my opinion of the whole thing. Nothing particularly new, but I want to type it out.

    Just as he appears to have been for most of us, Smith was by far the least exciting of the four finalists to me. Sure he has real D-I coaching experience, but that experience is leading Canisius to a bad-to-mediocre record year after year. This past year should be considered an aberration driven by spectacular goaltending, not the norm. It's lovely that he helped turn around Canisius 11 years ago, but I don't think the problems he fixed there are the problems we face as a program now. I don't mean to really put Smith down here, and choosing him was not his own fault, but the administrations. Maybe Ben Barr didn't want to coach here, whether due to lack of funds or resources or just because he thinks he has a shot at higher-profile programs. Maybe Riga and Gosek thought they had better gigs currently. But until I'm shown otherwise, I will assume that Smith was chosen because he was the cheapest and easiest option, not because he was the best.

    I'm still going to cheer for RPI, and I hope Smith proves us all wrong, but I have a hard time imagining the program improving significantly with him at the helm, simply because the administration really just doesn't seem to give a ****.
    Have to agree, every question and answer doesn't put the program and Institute in a great light. Hope I'm wrong.
    Class of '93

    16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

  15. #895
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    246

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Greg Carvel was announced as the UMass coach on 3/29/16 and BC didn't commit to us until October. It could take just as long this time if he elects to sit our another year. I don't know why he should waste another year, but ...
    He will not be sitting, he has interest elsewhere. It's also not a good example to set in one of your 1st acts as head coach to block a former recruit because he signed his NLI with the previous coach, junior hockey players are quite connected and that would spread.

  16. #896
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    187,296

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by techtodenver View Post
    He will not be sitting, he has interest elsewhere. It's also not a good example to set in one of your 1st acts as head coach to block a former recruit because he signed his NLI with the previous coach, junior hockey players are quite connected and that would spread.
    I agree with that. Smith could try to convince him that RPI is still the best place for him, but it would be coup for him if he could do that. He would almost be starting from scratch.

  17. #897
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    36

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I agree with that. Smith could try to convince him that RPI is still the best place for him, but it would be coup for him if he could do that. He would almost be starting from scratch.
    Look at the year, he IS starting from scratch. Spending a lot of time trying to bring back a player does not make sense. Smith has a lot to do, decide on AC's and see who is in the pipeline and what he has in his hands. Then what to sell the new recruits on which is typically playing time and education.

  18. #898
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    36

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future


  19. #899
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston Field House
    Posts
    870

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    What gets me is this hire contradicts what McElroy said after Appert was fired.

    He said winning program needs consistency, and I remember reading in the TU that he said Apperts body of work wasn't enough to keep him. This doesn't really describe Coach Smiths body of work. 60 games below .500(I dont have the exact number with me)is not a strong body of work nor was his 12 years at Canisius consistent.

  20. #900
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    36

    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSec17 View Post
    What gets me is this hire contradicts what McElroy said after Appert was fired. He said winning program needs consistency, and I remember reading in the TU that he said Apperts body of work wasn't enough to keep him. This doesn't really describe Coach Smiths body of work. 60 games below .500(I dont have the exact number with me)is not a strong body of work nor was his 12 years at Canisius consistent.
    McElroy can say what he wants but you just have to look further into your other programs to see what he says is not exactly what he does.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •