X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
    Writer seems to have forgotten Union doing way more with less... No disputing seth was great at the off ice community work... as was his predecessor. I do agree with the part regarding spending big on the East campus and so little on the field house.
    They can get kids in Union, we cant.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Record article about the future of RPI hockey http://www.troyrecord.com/opinion/20...ive-rpi-hockey.
      #reality
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Not buying that. He got a kid in that didn`t even meet NCAA requirements without sitting a year.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
          They can get kids in Union, we cant.

Harvard, Yale and Cornell seem to be managing much better even with very high academic standards - and a new coach in Princeton is even beginning to turn the program around there!!! Also their facilities are not appreciably superior.

Every youth, high school, midget, prep and junior hockey player in the northeast knows who Ben Barr is because he is very visible at all of the rinks, games, camps, tournaments, etc.......and he makes sure he knows them too! And he also knows the family advisors - which are a huge part of recruiting these days!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            You never had a lucky shirt of jacket that you had to wear always?
            R B- I once posted about the 1984-1985 season and how I was so superstitious during our long winning streak. I wore mostly the same outfit to every game and made sure while getting dressed (at the old Holiday Inn in Troy) that we not only stayed in the same exact room each time, but that I put my outfit on in the exact same order. We went out to the same restaurant before each game (Verdile's) and I ordered the same veal parmigiani and drank the same vodka in my gimlet. We then stopped at Bella Napoli to buy dessert which we brought to share with most of the row in section 6 at HFH. Superstitious? You bet! The one game that I altered my routine was the second game against Lake Superior State and we settled for a tie ( which was somewhat by design since we had won easily the night before and the series was decided by total goals).
            The only time I did the same sort of thing was at Lake Placid in 1995. I was just so sure we were not going to win (we were ranked as a #6 seed) that I figured it would make no difference. But when we beat Colgate, i wore the same outfit the next night against Princeton. I did not regret it. (although the gendarmes at the arena tried to evict me when a Princeton fan objected to my use of an air horn after each of the 5 goals RPI scored).
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

When I read that article earlier today my thought was, “excuses, excuses, excuses”. Times certainly have changed since the 80’s/90’s but has RPI’s attitude towards what was once a great college hockey program changed also? An overwhelming kids now choose the college game where in those days it was the CHL. That means more quality kids to choose from. RPI HAS gotten it’s share during the Appert era with very little in return. I’m excited for what’s coming. Just my opinion.
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I just don’t see why Oates would leave what he’s doing now to hop back on bus rides & recruiting trips. He’s got his analyst gig on TSN Hockey Night in Canada plus his very lucrative services to over 90 NHLers but........maybe I’m wrong
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Nice article. If You Build It They Will Come. I hope Union doesn't have the give back their trophy because of sub par facilities. ASU 's Oceanside Side arena is neither Ocean side nor an arena just ice and some bleachers. But in their second year they won more games than RPI. Good comments about IVY recruiting already posted. How did we recruit Oates Carter Puppa et al with such a crappy facility. Oh later, Juneau Tapper Pothier Murley Cavosie even Polacek. Richardson just went into the hall of fame. Appert was great community wise a decent recruiter but not a good coach in my opinion. That is exactly what we need a great coach and recruiter and we will have home ice next year. I also disagree that their were low expectations this past year. In the RPITV interviews of the players at beginning of the year almost all of them remarked what talent this team had. Most of the posters had RPI higher than 11th in the ECAC contest as well. Coaches and media polls did as well . Just my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    R B- I once posted about the 1984-1985 season and how I was so superstitious during our long winning streak. I wore mostly the same outfit to every game and made sure while getting dressed (at the old Holiday Inn in Troy) that we not only stayed in the same exact room each time, but that I put my outfit on in the exact same order. We went out to the same restaurant before each game (Verdile's) and I ordered the same veal parmigiani and drank the same vodka in my gimlet. We then stopped at Bella Napoli to buy dessert which we brought to share with most of the row in section 6 at HFH. Superstitious? You bet! The one game that I altered my routine was the second game against Lake Superior State and we settled for a tie ( which was somewhat by design since we had won easily the night before and the series was decided by total goals).
                    The only time I did the same sort of thing was at Lake Placid in 1995. I was just so sure we were not going to win (we were ranked as a #6 seed) that I figured it would make no difference. But when we beat Colgate, i wore the same outfit the next night against Princeton. I did not regret it. (although the gendarmes at the arena tried to evict me when a Princeton fan objected to my use of an air horn after each of the 5 goals RPI scored).
                    Hey Doc, I sat in Section 6 in HFH back in 1984-85 and still sit there today. What row were you in? I never got any desserts from Bella Napoli
                    BTW, my friend and I used to bring air horns to games like Freakout! and the NCAA tournament games. They were confiscated at the Joe and never got them back...

Comment

Being a good recruiter is not a sure bet that you can coach. Everyone said Appert was a good recruiter, based on his work with Denver. Shouldn't RPI look for someone who has HC experience? Appert had never been a HC before and that seems to be the biggest problem area. Montgomery appears to be a HC that not only knew how to recruit but knows how to coach. AC are the real recruiters not the HC. This program needs a HC that knows how to handle players of today. Coach the way the game is played today. Skating, passing, playmaking. The AD needs to look for a proven HC at the Junior level that wants a college job. Dan Muse is a guy that has recruiting experience and HC experience. Muse is just one example. There are others out there.

Comment

This is from a Troy Record article, dated October 6, early this season before our trip to Maine.

Appert says this could be the year RPI will finally average three goals per game.

"We're going to score goals, I have no doubt," he said.

Appert is always optimistic but rarely makes glowing predictions. He did say, though, he expects a lot this season.

"This is the deepest team we've had here and I'm confident we can be a team that can contend for an ECAC championship and contend for an NCAA (Frozen) Four spot," he said.

So either Appert couldn't get the most out of the kids or this is/was a line of bull. This year we averaged 2.24 goals per game, but he thought he had the kids to compete this year. So whoever said we can't get the kids and Union can, well Appert says right here we had the kids so...
                        Last edited by DavidSec17; 03-13-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
                          Being a good recruiter is not a sure bet that you can coach. Everyone said Appert was a good recruiter, based on his work with Denver. Shouldn't RPI look for someone who has HC experience? Appert had never been a HC before and that seems to be the biggest problem area. Montgomery appears to be a HC that not only knew how to recruit but knows how to coach. AC are the real recruiters not the HC. This program needs a HC that knows how to handle players of today. Coach the way the game is played today. Skating, passing, playmaking. The AD needs to look for a proven HC at the Junior level that wants a college job. Dan Muse is a guy that has recruiting experience and HC experience. Muse is just one example. There are others out there.
                          Good points!

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                            Writer seems to have forgotten Union doing way more with less... No disputing seth was great at the off ice community work... as was his predecessor. I do agree with the part regarding spending big on the East campus and so little on the field house.
                            Curious is there any talk of spending on the field house? Long term plan?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                              Curious is there any talk of spending on the field house? Long term plan?
                              i haven`t heard anything about field house specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
                                Muse is also an excellent choice. He knows the players throughout the northeast and beyond - and is also is very well known within hockey circles.

Sorry - SA may have been a good recruiter AT DENVER - but had zero knowledge of and showed even less interest in the northeast players. Just not sure that even many top, or elite, MN or midwest kids are all that interested in heading to Troy - so he never was able to recruit impact players. But maybe kids in NE, NY, NJ and PA would have been - if SA & Co. had even tried or showed even the slightest interest at all!!!

I was born in Troy - and have many family ties to RPI, but if they if they won't, don't, can't... even try to compete with even the Ivy's in their own back yard (the northeast), then they really can't expect to succeed!

Comment

Working...
                                X