X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    5 years
    That's perfectly fair, as it gives him a chance to get "his kids" in. Hopefully we hear from him at the Alumni event in February (or earlier if there's one in Rochester).

Comment

I'll be at HFH and both games in CT next season, after 40+ years I don't know any better, but this entire process depresses me. Good luck Coach Smith. Please expose my fears as unfounded and bring some excitement back to the program. Even modest success could make you a true hero among a fan base aching for a return to relevance. Let's hope wiser minds than mine brought you to us.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        This has been an unmitigated disaster from the get go. We just replaced a guy with a guy who has basically the same winning % in a lesser league. Wow. Lee hired a firm with no hockey experience and gave the back of his hand to alumni like Joe Juneau, Garry Kearns, Chiarelli. I believe Coach Smith has had losing seasons in 8 of his 12 years. I’m an Apps guy, I get it but you got to be kidding me.
        Thank u !!!
        I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Crazy
          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            Good start for him he has to learn or to answer your ?'s lol
            I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              So the doomsdayer in me can foresee a day when Ben Barr succeeds Bennett at Union and proceeds to exact his revenge....here's hoping he gets hired at UNO😜
              Ya when barr went to union. And there pp he designed was tops in Ecac
              I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Again people are putting on this thread that this team and program are under funded today its about the lack of a full time Secretary and a full time Strength Coach. Really is that the issue with this team the past 4+ years. The players work out with a Strength Coach every day. The same strength coach every day, what more full time then that do they need. A secretary, how does that help the players on the ice? The coaches were on the ice every day with the players unless they were out recruiting. How about the coaches doing more coaching during practices. How about the coaches spending more time doing video and analytics with the players. How about using their Director of Hockey Operations to do more with respect to video and analytics. I don't think a strength coach or a secretary find this duties as part of their responsibilities. Coaches are supposed to coach and work on skill development on and off the ice. Ask this crop of players and those that went through the doors the past 4+ years if that happened.

This team would and will improve by leaps and bounds if the coaches utilize better time management skills and utilize video and analytics with the players. It doesn't cost anymore money to do that. Those resources are already in place, just not utilized.

Comment

Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
                  Again people are putting on this thread that this team and program are under funded today its about the lack of a full time Secretary and a full time Strength Coach. Really is that the issue with this team the past 4+ years. The players work out with a Strength Coach every day. The same strength coach every day, what more full time then that do they need. A secretary, how does that help the players on the ice? The coaches were on the ice every day with the players unless they were out recruiting. How about the coaches doing more coaching during practices. How about the coaches spending more time doing video and analytics with the players. How about using their Director of Hockey Operations to do more with respect to video and analytics. I don't think a strength coach or a secretary find this duties as part of their responsibilities. Coaches are supposed to coach and work on skill development on and off the ice. Ask this crop of players and those that went through the doors the past 4+ years if that happened.

This team would and will improve by leaps and bounds if the coaches utilize better time management skills and utilize video and analytics with the players. It doesn't cost anymore money to do that. Those resources are already in place, just not utilized.
                  And how much of the coach's time is spent answering calls, e-mails, and other "administrative" tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    Personally, I need an explanation on this. I was OK with firing Appert after the season we just went through, but how in the world do you do that, then make a hire that makes everyone scratch their heads on how the team begins improving from here? And if he's only being had on the cheap... wouldn't it have just been cheaper to pay one guy instead of two?
                    Fair questions. I'm not sure we'll ever know for sure how we wound up with this outcome. As others have noted, there are - what - four current HC vacancies (and maybe more to come)? Seems like it might be a bit of a buyers' market for coaches right now. The public concerns aired by the hockey alumni (appropriate, IMHO) might have scared off some potential candidates. We do know that unless multiple sources are wrong McElroy will step in front of microphones tomorrow or Wednesday to introduce Smith and both will tell everyone how excited they are and what a terrific opportunity it is and it's a new era for RPI hockey.

For now I'm trying to be optimistic by thinking about questionable hires that have worked out. Northeastern is an example. In 2011 they hired Jim Madigan, who had only been a player and assistant there in the mid-late 80s, and whose only other experience was many years scouting for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Madigan was primarily an administrator (he had worked in Northeastern's physical plant and on the academic side of things), and some really questioned hiring a guy with zero HC experience and no coaching experience of any kind in 18 years. But it's worked out well for them.

For the record, if it's Smith, it looks like he'd be the first sitting D-I coach to come on board here since Addesa in 1979.

Comment

• Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                      Good start for him he has to learn or to answer your ?'s lol
                      Understandable that he didn't want to usurp RPI's announcement. You're quickly catching up to Flaggy.
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        Understandable that he didn't want to usurp RPI's announcement. You're quickly catching up to Flaggy.
                        Two people doing smilies?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          And how much of the coach's time is spent answering calls, e-mails, and other "administrative" tasks?
                          And how many hours do the administrative tasks take? Players are in the class room M,T, TH & FR mornings until 1pm. They don't take classes on Wednesdays. The team skates in the morning on Wednesdays. So Friday's are game days, and there are 20 hours a week that the players aren't around, how many hours are needed for administrative tasks? Its a hypothetical question but honestly would a secretary working 37 hours a week vs 25 hours a week make that much of a difference? What's the excuse for not doing video or analytics with the players. That's what Hockey Ops and AC's are for. From what I hear from a parent of a Canisius player his son spent a lot of time on video and analytics and Canisius is substantially underfunded in comparison to RPI. They have a part time volunteer Hockey Ops position and no secretary for the hockey staff.

I'm not saying that the extra expense is warranted but its an excuse for these other developmental tools not to be used.

Comment

Again people are putting on this thread that this team and program are under funded today its about the lack of a full time Secretary and a full time Strength Coach. Really is that the issue with this team the past 4+ years. The players work out with a Strength Coach every day. The same strength coach every day, what more full time then that do they need. A secretary, how does that help the players on the ice? The coaches were on the ice every day with the players unless they were out recruiting. How about the coaches doing more coaching during practices. How about the coaches spending more time doing video and analytics with the players. How about using their Director of Hockey Operations to do more with respect to video and analytics. I don't think a strength coach or a secretary find this duties as part of their responsibilities. Coaches are supposed to coach and work on skill development on and off the ice. Ask this crop of players and those that went through the doors the past 4+ years if that happened. This team would and will improve by leaps and bounds if the coaches utilize better time management skills and utilize video and analytics with the players. It doesn't cost anymore money to do that. Those resources are already in place, just not utilized.
                            Seems it's not just on the thread but the articles refer to that as well. Is it a coincidence that the better funded teams and better programs? How's that recruiting budget for example?

Comment

And how many hours do the administrative tasks take? Players are in the class room M,T, TH & FR mornings until 1pm. They don't take classes on Wednesdays. The team skates in the morning on Wednesdays. So Friday's are game days, and there are 20 hours a week that the players aren't around, how many hours are needed for administrative tasks? Its a hypothetical question but honestly would a secretary working 37 hours a week vs 25 hours a week make that much of a difference? What's the excuse for not doing video or analytics with the players. That's what Hockey Ops and AC's are for. From what I hear from a parent of a Canisius player his son spent a lot of time on video and analytics and Canisius is substantially underfunded in comparison to RPI. They have a part time volunteer Hockey Ops position and no secretary for the hockey staff.

I'm not saying that the extra expense is warranted but its an excuse for these other developmental tools not to be used.
                              They take longer than you'd think, especially given the position. And who's to say that they didn't do video analytics?

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                                For the record, if it's Smith, it looks like he'd be the first sitting D-I coach to come on board here since Addesa in 1979.
                                Addesa was not a sitting D-I coach because HC did not play D-I when he arrived. Jim Salfi was the coach for Penn before RPI. Penn dropped its program.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X