X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Huh?
    Think he wants you to do it again tomorrow.

Personally, I need an explanation on this. I was OK with firing Appert after the season we just went through, but how in the world do you do that, then make a hire that makes everyone scratch their heads on how the team begins improving from here? And if he's only being had on the cheap... wouldn't it have just been cheaper to pay one guy instead of two?
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          I guess that is definite.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My $0.02:

This whole thing has been bungled from start to finish by RPI's administration. It's clear that RPI Hockey isn't really a priority for the administration. I worried about this when McElroy was hired in the first place-- someone with no hockey experience who has built their career around football, basketball, and lacrosse. The rumor was (when I was a student ~6 years ago) that Shirley didn't really "get" hockey, and wanted football to be the #1 sport. Hence the massive expansion that became ECAV, with very few renovations to the HFH-- it's clear where her priorities lie.

And from the RPI administration's perspective, successful D1 Hockey is not really necessary to raise the school's profile. It's still seen as a bit of a niche sport by most of the US, unfortunately. And I haven't seen anywhere that Union's national championship win did anything for their application/admittance rates. Meanwhile, RPI just had the biggest freshman class and the lowest acceptance rate EVER, even with a failing flagship athletics program. I'm sure RPI's administration would rather funnel money towards academics, or research, or straight up advertising campaigns-- anything else, really. There's not really an incentive for putting money towards hockey.

I can't help but think that if the program was D1 basketball, they'd be funneling tons of money into the program. Has anyone actually heard of Gonzaga for anything other than basketball?
            Season ticket holder since 2007. I BELIEVE IN SETH APPERT.

Comment

And for a little bit of levity on the subject:

Season ticket holder since 2007. I BELIEVE IN SETH APPERT.

Comment

Originally posted by NBinks View Post
                Has anyone actually heard of Gonzaga for anything other than basketball?
                Isn't it a type of cheese?
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I wonder if Smith called his former boss, Buddy Powers? He was BP's assistant the last 2 years of his Bowling Green tenure.

Pretty strange hire, that leaves a series of questions and resultant answers where almost none of the potential answers put RPI in a good light. Even more so given that Appert was fired practically as the bus rolled up to the HFH from Potsdam.
                  Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    Whoever the new coach is, I hope they give him a secretary. And a little more support than they gave the last guy.
                    If he gets the same support that they gave SA, I don't see any real chance of advancement.
                    That being said, I don't know why someone with a head coaching job would change unless he was promised some support.
                    Support is relative, it may be more support than he got but less then HE and the hockey programs need.

Comment

So the doomsdayer in me can foresee a day when Ben Barr succeeds Bennett at Union and proceeds to exact his revenge....here's hoping he gets hired at UNO😜
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

....and in other coaching news....... Reading, PA – The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League, today announced that Larry Courville has been relieved of his duties as the team’s head coach. Kirk MacDonald, who has served as the Royals’ assistant coach since October of 2014, will serve as the team’s interim head coach. http://royalshockey.com/larry-courvi...-royals-coach/
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

5 years
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-03-2017, 05:36 PM.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                            If it's smith I may never walk into the hfh again
                            Promise? Although I have a feeling that you will.
                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                              Promise? Although I have a feeling that you will.
                              He'll run in instead.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                Curious what do you consider a smile on your face in 5 yrs? Chance are right now no matter who you hire you won't even get some recruits to pick up the phone. It takes time unless you believe SA has the talent there and just couldn't develop it.
                                Appert was a great recruiter, but a terrible bench coach. 09-11 put a smile on my face, until the team was exposed for using good goaltending as a crutch.

Comment

Working...
                                X