Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderRPI View Post
    ......Look on the bright side, so far, firing the coach has worked for the Bruins
    Didn't work for Maine. It's been 4 years and each year is worse. I hope it works out much better for RPI.

I hope RPI hires a coach with successful Head Coaching experience. I know there are fewer such available candidates and they can be pricier but hiring unproven assistants hasn't worked for the last two hires.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

The biggest thing I ask for, and I'm sure the AD will be happy to do this given this move... no more lengthy contracts. There needs to be some form of accountability without too hefty of a price tag. We got screwed over by Knowlton's extension to 20-21, and we are still paying for it.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

BEN BARR! And this is why...

1. RPI Alum
    2. Recruited a National Championship team while he was assistant at Union
    3. Recruited a National Championship team while he was assistant at Providence
    4. Recruited a Western Michigan team that is now 4th pairwise before taking the Assistant job at UMass.

The "Barr-Effect" has been clearly exhibited.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by Section5forLife View Post

1. RPI Alum
    4. Recruited a Western Michigan team that is now 4th pairwise before taking the Assistant job at UMass.

We had a "recruiter" for 11 years. How do we know he's a good bench coach?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

1. RPI Alum

These are the very reasons why I think UMass will be moving up the standings in the next two years.

My paths crossed with Seth and one of his assistants, Bryan Vines, on several occasions. Both were/are class acts. Hockey needs men like these in the sport. I hope he lands soon.

Yes! I see no reason why the trend won't continue in UMass.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    We had a "recruiter" for 11 years. How do we know he's a good bench coach?
    Fair point, but I'll take my chances. How did Denver know Montgomery was a great bench boss? You just have to go by their laurels and make an educated decision. Barr has coached alongside 2 national championship winning coaches, one of which is arguably the best coach in college hockey. He has made connections in recruiting circles all over North America and spent last season in Mass., a hockey "hotbed" where Appert had zero luck recruiting.
    Last edited by Section5forLife; 03-07-2017 at 09:36 AM.

RPI'88, BU'99

1. RPI Alum

I agree that he is a worthy choice. But can he serve coffee at Dunkin' Donuts?

I Still bleed RPI Red

Just so that all you posters on the thread do not stay depressed about this rather sudden change for long. Both Jenny and i are now totally back. In fact, I am available for consideration for the open position at this time. Hate to see this having to come to this but must say it was a long time coming. Best advice is to go way out of the program and system for new coaching talent. Have to turn this downward spiral around quickly as we have been a doormat for too long. BTW, I have always felt we had enough talent that we should not have been absent from the ECAC final four over the past 11 years. I truly got upset and tired of giving away our seats in Lake Placid or Atlantic City (or burning them).
    What do we need most? obviously new aggressive coach, new assistants who can coach offensive hockey and the basics that we have been so notoriously poor with, and we need size. Not just big boys but boys who play to their size or bigger. We got sick and tired of watching our kids getting pushed around all over the ice. This sport is for those who are willing to play tough and willing to fight through checks and finish their own checks. Next year does not have to be a typical transition year but with the right guidance, we should be quite capable of competing with anyone.
    All our best to those who expressed concern about us. All those who missed us. You know who you are. Great to be back (really never left but just could not voice our true feelings about what was happening). I still bleed RPI Red!!!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

RPI'88, BU'99

Welcome back Dr. D! Things are looking up already!

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Just so that all you posters on the thread do not stay depressed about this rather sudden change for long. Both Jenny and i are now totally back. In fact, I am available for consideration for the open position at this time. Hate to see this having to come to this but must say it was a long time coming. Best advice is to go way out of the program and system for new coaching talent. Have to turn this downward spiral around quickly as we have been a doormat for too long. BTW, I have always felt we had enough talent that we should not have been absent from the ECAC final four over the past 11 years. I truly got upset and tired of giving away our seats in Lake Placid or Atlantic City (or burning them).
    What do we need most? obviously new aggressive coach, new assistants who can coach offensive hockey and the basics that we have been so notoriously poor with, and we need size. Not just big boys but boys who play to their size or bigger. We got sick and tired of watching our kids getting pushed around all over the ice. This sport is for those who are willing to play tough and willing to fight through checks and finish their own checks. Next year does not have to be a typical transition year but with the right guidance, we should be quite capable of competing with anyone.
    All our best to those who expressed concern about us. All those who missed us. You know who you are. Great to be back (really never left but just could not voice our true feelings about what was happening). I still bleed RPI Red!!!
    Who are you?

Fair point, but I'll take my chances. How did Denver know Montgomery was a great bench boss? You just have to go by their laurels and make an educated decision. Barr has coached alongside 2 national championship winning coaches, one of which is arguably the best coach in college hockey. He has made connections in recruiting circles all over North America and spent last season in Mass., a hockey "hotbed" where Appert had zero luck recruiting.
    He had been a head coach in the USHL.

Not a player, I just crush a lot
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The biggest thing I ask for, and I'm sure the AD will be happy to do this given this move... no more lengthy contracts. There needs to be some form of accountability without too hefty of a price tag. We got screwed over by Knowlton's extension to 20-21, and we are still paying for it.
    Your hindsight is amazing.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Beatdown

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Wow! my day just got brighter (despite the dreary NY weather). Thrilled to have you and Jenny back now if only we can also get the NY Rangers to show some toughness . . . .
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    He had been a head coach in the USHL.
    Monty started the Dubuque program. He coached it with ZERO head coaching experience. In 3 years there he was 73 games over .500. In 3 years at Denver he is 34 games over .500 in one of the toughest conferences in the country. He's had his team ranked #1 in the nation. But go back to the USHL for a second. He went there with no head coAching experience and he won the entire thing 2 out of 3 years. You either "have it" or you don't. You don't need experience, you need a chance. Ben Barr has earned atleast the opportunity. RPI in its current state probably couldn't beat some USHL teams.

Quote Originally Posted by jmhusker View Post
    "Hundreds"... that's kind of a shot I think. Clearly he made a lot of friends along the way. He didn't make a lot of hockey players better though. He probably belongs in some type of USA hockey role as his strengths appear to be on the spin side. Gonna miss our "frozen four" quality offense he delivered this season.
    +1
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

An interesting source for a tweet about SA.

I'm an Implant Engineer

Doc, Great to see you (and Jenny) back on board. I've missed you. LGR

Thread Information