Most shocking and improbable finishes to a game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most shocking and improbable finishes to a game

Tonight there was a game that ended in the most unimaginable way. Niagara which only won 3 games this season and sitting at the bottom of the PWR by a mile came from behind in a highly unlikely way to beat RIT 5-4. Trailing 4-2 with under 6 minutes to go Niagara was called for a penalty which they were about to kill off but instead scored a shorthanded goal with 8 seconds left with under 4 minutes to go. Then with time winding down and under a minute to go they scored the equalizer with an extra attacker goal. However with 21 seconds left Niagara was called for another penalty and 10 seconds later the improbable happened again. They scored another shorthanded goal with 11 seconds left to win 5-4. All of this when trailing they only had 6 shots total on net in the third period, half of them being those goals in the last 4 minutes. Absolute stunner.

Re: Most shocking and improbable finishes to a game

Saw the boxscore and it had me scratching my head.

Comment

I was doing play-by-play for RIT and wanted to throw up.

Comment

Oh, gosh Ed...I can imagine. Done some heartbreaking ones before, but never quite like that.

Comment

Here are the game highlights, or lowlights if you're a RIT fan. Unfortunately RIT takes a page out of the Notre Dame game highlight playbook (probably wouldn't have showed any Niagara goals except for the comeback happening) and only shows the goals that tie and win it for Niagara. So not all game highlights but you still get to see the last two goals.
          Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
          Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
          Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

I have liked this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4UdUgDUz0A
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

2004 National Championship Denver vs Maine
              1-0 Denver with 2:11 to go DU Penalty 1:50 to go DU Penalty
              Maine pulls Goalie 6 on 3
              2 posts, 1 crossbar, big saves
              DU wins first Natty in 35 years 1-0

Highlights --14 minute mark for the dramatic, hold your breath last 2 minutes
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLB2rQOZy8
              Last edited by vizoroo; 03-04-2017, 01:39 PM.
              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                2004 National Championship Denver vs Maine
                1-0 Denver with 2:11 to go DU Penalty 1:50 to go DU Penalty
                Maine pulls Goalie 6 on 3
                2 posts, 1 crossbar, big saves
                DU wins first Natty in 35 years 1-0

Highlights --14 minute mark for the dramatic, hold your breath last 2 minutes
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLB2rQOZy8
                That was the most intense 90 seconds of hockey I've ever witnessed.
                Originally posted by mookie1995
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

I suppose BU-Miami is the one that first comes to mind. Even as a person with no rooting interest, all I could think was, "Oh my. Miami's people must be dying."

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    I suppose BU-Miami is the one that first comes to mind. Even as a person with no rooting interest, all I could think was, "Oh my. Miami's people must be dying."
                    I was at both games. Incredible disappointment in '04 and unbelievable exhilaration in '09.

Comment

Lowell once scored a goal IIRC at the end of the third to tie versus Providence and then won with a second left in overtime. Not a miraculous type of setting but it was one of those that proves you have to keep working the whole game.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Just to show how unlikely that finish was you have to look at game 2 tonight of that series. Despite 2 Power Plays in the first period Niagara is outshot 16-2 and down 3-0 after one period. How in the world did they pull that off last night?

Comment

Still the Game:

For me the greatest comeback in the sense of a swing from low to high still has to be the March 6, 1979 ECAC Quarterfinal Cornell-Providence game. This was the old ECAC with all the eastern Division I teams. The quarterfinal games were at the higher seeded team's rink, one and done. The previous year Providence had upset the Red 8-5.

In 1979, Providence went up 4-0 at :45 of the third period. John Stornik scored for Cornell at 3:10, but Bauer scored his second of the night for Providence only 50 seconds later. Stornick scored again at 7:39 and Steve Hennessey brought it to 5-3 at 9:35. Johnny Olds made it 5-4 at 14:49, but despite a 20-6 shot differential in the 3rd, Cornell couldn't get the puck past Providence goalie Bill Milner again. With less than a minute and Cornell's goalie, Brian Hayward pulled, Providence's Randy Wilson got behind the Cornell defense and skated in on the empty net by himself. Everyone in the rink thought he would make the empty netter and Cornell would miss Boston for the second year in a row.

Miraculously, he somehow missed. Lance Nethery picked up the puck behind the goal line and not knowing how much time was left just skated to the Providence blue line and whaled a low slapshot that skidded under Milner's stick for the tying goal with 13 second left.
                          The bedlam that broke out as the fans' hearts lept from the depths to the heights was deafening. Anything the fans could throw on the ice was thrown. The Big Red Pep Band was so excited, that they didn't play "Davy" until minutes later (for those who know the Cornell band, this was unprecedented). Roy Ives, the Cornell radio announcer screamed so loudly that he essentially lost his voice and struggled mightily to complete the broadcast. When order was restored, it was announced that Nethery's goal both tied Doug Ferguson's Cornell record of 91 career goals and RPI's Frank Chiarelli's ECAC record of 268 career points.

In the overtime Providence had no shots on goal. At 4:00 Rob Gemmell scored the winning goal. Fans scrambled over the glass (lower then) and mobbed the team.

Still gives me goosebumps to recall Nethery's miracle goal nearly 40 years later. Cornell used the radio audio and the team (coaching) video as part of its recent $10 million appeal for Lynah improvements.
                          Last edited by 40-Year Big Red Fan; 03-04-2017, 09:30 PM.
                          . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            Lowell once scored a goal IIRC at the end of the third to tie versus Providence and then won with a second left in overtime. Not a miraculous type of setting but it was one of those that proves you have to keep working the whole game.
                            You were close - 1/12/2008. Lowell scored with 1 second left in the 2nd period to tie the game, then won it with 2 seconds left in OT: http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...p?mprvuml1.j12
                            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                              You were close - 1/12/2008. Lowell scored with 1 second left in the 2nd period to tie the game, then won it with 2 seconds left in OT: http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...p?mprvuml1.j12
                              i was there so I know it was something like that... their coach wasn't exactly happy
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                              X