X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.6 - Russia Is Just A Witch Hunt

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Thud.
    What is it called when the pronunciation of a word is so faithful to its meaning? Thud is good that way.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      What is it called when the pronunciation of a word is so faithful to its meaning? Thud is good that way.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        They care about pizzing liberals off. It's as simple as that.

Liberals believe there is such a thing as climate change and we should fight it. So Conservatives must oppose it, because. Liberals believe in gender equality, LBGT rights, social justice. Conservatives must oppose, because. Liberals believe government can help make a difference in people's lives. Conservatives must oppose, because.

Conservatives used to be for carbon credits, until Obama embraced them. They used to be for insurance mandates. Until Obama included them in the ACA. Anything that liberals are in favor of, Conservatives must oppose, no matter how deranged and fact-free their opposition is. because opposing it pizzes liberals off.
        That's a tough thing to fight against. It's no longer a battle of ideas. It's a battle of ideology and that cake is usually baked by puberty.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          That's a tough thing to fight against. It's no longer a battle of ideas. It's a battle of ideology and that cake is usually baked by puberty.
          Now you're getting it.

It's why dumbazz rednecks fly confederate flags from their pickups, and "roll coal" as they blow through town. It's probably also why they support charter schools so strongly, despite a preponderence of data that show they do no better than public schools.
          Last edited by rufus; 03-21-2017, 03:35 PM.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I'll agree with that.

Nope. See my immediately prior post.

I may not succeed, but I try to make it really clear when I'm being deliberately "elitist." I do that (knowingly, anyway) only when it turns out the elitist position is also factual.

But even then, many facts that people recoil from as "elitist" aren't that at all. Best example: the What's the Matter with Kansas thesis that poor social conservatives in the Midwest are killing themselves economically by voting Republican. That's actually a real thing. It's not politically correct to say that poor people who vote Republican to try to improve their lot are ignorant, but it's true -- Republican fiscal policy exists for only one reason: shovel as much money as fast as possible to their wealthy donors. No other consideration is anything but window-dressing. So if poor Midwesterners are voting Republican for the economy, they're ignorant of American history.

If OTOH they are deliberately casting a vote for their religious values and knowingly taking an economic hit, saying in effect that is less important than their immortal souls, that's not ignorant at all, though I'd point out it's pretty hard on their children.

Conservatives yammer about "political correctness" but there is rightwing political correctness as well, wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and with Mom's gooey ice cream dripping all over it. At least I hope that's ice cream. They protect their snowflakes -- the uneducated, active duty soldiers (veterans they f-ck over), and religious fundamentalists -- and scream like little girls if you have the temerity to point out facts like, for example, the uneducated tend to be ignorant of the causal relationship between Republican policies and their own worsening economic situation.

A fact is never elitist.
            Hey just remember we agree on almost everything...I am not speaking for myself (because I love telling people how stupid they are ) I am speaking for the people who just find that kind of stuff offputting. The average rube doesnt want to be told why they are mistaken...they want to believe that the jersey they wear not only makes them a better person but also if they dont do everything perfect their team will lose and that it has nothing to do with the players.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

But you asked about something relevant, which is all the other groups who were supposed to go straight ticket Dem but either stayed home or voted for the Dumpster. I have no good answer about them, but I haven't seen the real data on them yet, either. If you've got that please share it -- I'd like to know what percentage of blacks, Mexicans, Central Americans, and Muslims really did vote for Trump, and how those numbers compare with Romney in 2012.
              WaPo has Some Insight

"There are different benchmarks one can use to see how Trump performed compared with prior Republican nominees. Comparing yesterday’s results with 2012, as this Washington Post feature does, shows that Trump actually performed slightly worse among white voters than Mitt Romney did. He did, however, perform better than Romney among blacks, Latinos and Asian Americans, making it more difficult to claim that racial resentment was the dominant factor explaining Trump’s support nationally.

The 2012 election was not an open one, however, since Obama was running for reelection. When we compare Republican nominee performances in prior open elections, we see that Trump made important gains among black voters as well as whites. The figure below presents net Republican support, meaning voter support for the Republican nominee minus voter support for the Democratic nominee. The GOP advantage among white voters was 9 points higher in 2016 than in 2008, which may be due as much to whites’ reluctance to vote for Obama in 2008 as to their enthusiasm for Trump in 2016."

"At the same time, Trump performed better with black voters than McCain did in 2008, and on par with Bush’s performance in 2000."

Trump performed as well as McCain did with Latino voters in 2008, and did only somewhat worse than Bush in 2000 — which is surprising given the way that Trump launched his campaign with incendiary remarks about Mexican rapists, kicked out a prominent Mexican American journalist from a news conference, and questioned the fairness of Hispanic judges."

Here is a Breakdown Tool Which is Awesome
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

No. Florida Cubans have always been Republicans. They're reactionary French nobility in exile during the Revolution and they want their Batista Era estates and serfs back. That's one reason the other Latinos can't stand them.
                In part, yes. And while you're using the French metaphorically, in fact, some are actually descended from French Haitians who fled that Island's revolution.

Anyway, the actual relevant facts are that there were over 100,000 Cubans in Florida prior to Castro. Some from pre Spanish-American war (Miami and especially in Key West and Ybor City) and another big bunch who came over looking for work in the 20's and 30's. A couple hundred thousand came in the 60's fleeing Castro which would include those you refer to but also includes a pretty large contingent of educated middle class folks who just weren't on board with the commies taking over and indoctrinating their kids.
                Out of almost 2 million Cuban Americans there are around 800-900k Cuba born now in the USA, about half of whom arrived post 1990. Another 20% arrived around the Mariel boat lift in the 80's. (the Marielitos) some twenty years after Castro took over. So 70% of foreign born Cubans here, if they were ever wealthy (which is unlikely because the surviving wealthy left) had at least not been in 20-30+ years before coming over.

So what I'm getting at is your description and assessment of Florida Cubans is very incomplete at best. Also I'd say a good deal of whatever friction there is between Cubans and other Latinos stems more from the Cubans preferential treatment and immigration status (Dry feet) provided to them by the US Government.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Which tracks with how they went overall in the last election (though Mexicans elsewhere seemed to go Left over immigration concerns) and definitely does not track with how many feel they would be voting. This is what I have been saying every time someone talks about "demographic shifts".

Just because the population is getting younger (or I should say the old guard GOPers are dying off) doesnt mean the young are going to vote Left. Even if you assume they are learned on political issues (and they arent hence why a bunch of Spring Breakers in Mexico were chanting "Build the Wall" last week) they arent just going to vote what the stats say they will. If that was the case voting trends wouldnt stagnate. Just because the Left fights for Women's Rights doesnt mean all women will vote that way...and not just cause they think Women should be second class either. Until the Dems accept that and work with it they will never truly experience any sort of Demographic push to their party.
                  Some of this is what I was thinking of. Dems tend to assume a bit that immigrants would automatically be on their side, but there are a lot of places around the world where social liberalism isn't a thing. Let's say for example we just open the flood gates and dump a couple hundred thousand Middle Easterners in a few swing states. It may very well turn out in the end that they align more with the RWNJ's on social issues and vote for them thus moving the national elections right. Imagine that.
                  Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 03-21-2017, 08:05 PM.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Sounds Like a Crappy Spy Movie Plot
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      The vor z zakone isn't exactly subtle. Just saying.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Houston, we're back online. https://www.infowars.com/trump-signs...s-exploration/

Probably cheaper than $10bil/seat cosmonaut flights.

Comment

Fence scaling: Partial inside job? https://www.infowars.com/secret-serv...truder-scaled/

Comment

Looks like the North Korean mental midget is taunting the US mental midget. This isn't going to work out very well
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

So, Paul Manafort earned some $10 million working as a PR flack on behalf of Putin. Not for Putin directly, but for one of Putin's bestest buddies, to spin messaging and PR that would benefit Putin's image and interests worldwide.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7642916.html

Nope, nothing to see here.
                              Last edited by rufus; 03-22-2017, 07:59 AM.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

WASHINGTON — Not even a public scolding from Judge Neil M. Gorsuch could get President Trump to stop bashing federal judges.

Hours after Mr. Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court declared during Senate confirmation hearings that he was “disheartened” about Mr. Trump’s unrestrained attacks on the judicial branch, the president was at it again, calling out the federal judges who have halted his second executive order banning travel from certain predominantly Muslim nations.

“Somebody said I should not criticize judges. O.K. I’ll criticize judges,” Mr. Trump said
                                https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/u...smtyp=cur&_r=0

Remember this and remember 2016 the next time some moron on TV says "Temperament matters" to the Presidency and the electorate.

Suckers.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X