• Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

Well, let's crank this up with a few games left to be finished:
    Duluth vs Miami.....in OT
    Denver leading CC
    BSU....in OT
    AFA....leading comfortably.
    NoDak leading SCSU 4-2 with 7:00 to play.

Current PWR:
    #1s: Denver, Duluth, Harvard, Minnesota
    #2s: WestMich, BU, Union, Lowell
    #3s: Penn St, NoDame, Prov, NoDak (and this will not change if NoDak prevails tonight)
    #4s: Cornell, Ohio State, AHA and WCHA Champs. (AFA still with a chance at an at-large.....)

Minnesota would go east, and the #1 v #4 would need no tweaking: Denver vs AQ2, Duluth vs AQ1, Harvard vs OSU, Minnesota vs Cornell
    NoDak would stay in Fargo and would play one of BU, Union, UML; West Mich would play either PSU or NoDame in Cincinnati, and the rest would fit together any number of ways, depending on the committee's particular bias.

Western Mich needs to win 2 in a row over Omaha to have a chance to regain their #1 seed from Minnesota. The difference in schedule means that WMU likely still controls its own destiny, however.

And, even though NoDak is apparently going to win tonight, 2 losses tomorrow and Sunday to SCSU could still leave them out.

Comment

Very interesting to see the Air Force Academy hanging on to the bubble with all the big boys. They are now sitting at 15. I suspect they could sneak in with an at-large if some of the teams above them slip up and get eliminated. I have so much respect for Coaches Seratorre and Miller. If they advance and you get a chance watch one of their games. Their work ethic is unparalleled.

Also interesting to see the Irish stick it to the Friars. They are on the verge of becoming a two seed and looking like they could take the HE crown.
      Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
        Also interesting to see the Irish stick it to the Friars. They are on the verge of becoming a two seed and looking like they could take the HE crown.
        Don't hold your breath.

Comment

Very interesting to see the Air Force Academy hanging on to the bubble with all the big boys. They are now sitting at 15. I suspect they could sneak in with an at-large if some of the teams above them slip up and get eliminated. I have so much respect for Coaches Seratorre and Miller. If they advance and you get a chance watch one of their games. Their work ethic is unparalleled.

Notre Dame has a big gap to cross to get to a #2 seed, and it would almost certainly require the HE crown to do so.

AFA - I am interested in that one as well. Win tonight, and then lose the AHA final to Canisius, and they could end up 14th. Particularly if OSU splits its next 2 games, or Cornell loses again tonight.

Also, one thing to watch here is the positioning of Wisconsin and Ohio State after tonight's games. They could BOTH be out of the top 14. However, IF THEY ARE BOTH OUT OF THE TOP 14, I would still give a 40% chance that one of them would eventually with the BIG Tournament, and that means that, even if every team above them wins out, one of those would still miss the NCAAs.
          Last edited by Numbers; 03-11-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
            NoDak would stay in Fargo and would play one of BU, Union, UML; West Mich would play either PSU or NoDame in Cincinnati, and the rest would fit together any number of ways, depending on the committee's particular bias..
            western would NOT play psu. currently you have 2 hea schools in both the 2 and 3 bands. western and union have to play pc (IN providence for attendence) or nd. bu and umlol would have to play psu or sioux (IN fargo).
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              western would NOT play psu. currently you have 2 hea schools in both the 2 and 3 bands. western and union have to play pc (IN providence for attendence) or nd. bu and umlol would have to play psu or sioux (IN fargo).

You are correct, of course. I keep forgetting that NoDame is Hockey East. So, one HE team must be in each 2/3 contest....
              I would say, then...
              Fargo: NoDak vs BU (bracket integrity) in Fargo
              After that I would not know how to guess. Western only had 1400 fans last night IN ITS OWN BARN, so I don't think they are a good draw to Cincy. PSU and NoDame I don't know about.

Comment

You are correct, of course. I keep forgetting that NoDame is Hockey East. So, one HE team must be in each 2/3 contest....
                I would say, then...
                Fargo: NoDak vs BU (bracket integrity) in Fargo
                After that I would not know how to guess. Western only had 1400 fans last night IN ITS OWN BARN, so I don't think they are a good draw to Cincy. PSU and NoDame I don't know about.
                I wouldn't put a lot of weight on attendance numbers this weekend. Western is on Spring Break, and their barn only seats about 3500 +/-. Heck, even North Dakota only had a little over 10,000 against St. Cloud last night, and Duluth and Denver both failed to crack 5,000 in attendance. If Cincinnati is an option for Western, it would make the most sense. Will they fill it up? No, but they would do better than any other current #2 seed.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

AFA - I am interested in that one as well. Win tonight, and then lose the AHA final to Canisius, and they could end up 14th. Particularly if OSU splits its next 2 games, or Cornell loses again tonight.
                  I think another interesting aspect that hasn't been brought up yet - how high a ranking could Air Force get in the pairwise if they do win out/secure the Atlantic AQ? While it helps the bubble teams - what do possible matches look like with them in the 3 band (or the remote possibility of the 2 band)? In that scenario, North Dakota is likely a 4 (or out)...possibly sending Harvard to Fargo...wondering what other matchups might have to be switched/forced.

Comment

If the season ended today:

1 Denver
                    2 Duluth
                    3 Harvard
                    4 Western Michigan
                    5 Boston U
                    6 Minnesota
                    7 Union
                    8 Lowell
                    9 Notre Dame
                    10 North Dakota
                    11 Providence
                    12 Cornell
                    13 Penn State
                    14 Ohio State
                    15 Air Force
                    16 WCHA

Fargo

1 Denver vs 4 Air Force
                    2 Minnesota vs 3 North Dakota

Providence

1 Harvard vs 4 Penn State
                    2 Boston U vs 3 Providence

Manchester

1 Duluth vs 4 WCHA
                    2 Lowell vs 3 Cornell

Cincinnati

1 Western Michigan vs 4 Ohio State
                    2 Union vs 3 Notre Dame

I'm not so sure I have this right... I have two HE schools playing each other in the first round, but solving that is tricky. I can't move Providence College because NoDak must play in Fargo, and moving the other 3 seeds around will inevitably result in a HE match up. I can't move BU to Manchester or Cinci because that would make another HE match up as well. The only possible solution I see without changing any team's seed is to send BU to Fargo and Minnesota to Providence, but would the committee really pass up on a Minnesota/NoDak playoff game?
                    BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

One thing we learned tonight is that BSU is out. We're left with BGU, Tech or State getting the AQ from the WCHA. We'll be down to two after tomorrow's game three. #37 in the PWR (Bowling Green) is through to the championship game next weekend--one win away from being #16.
                      Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-12-2017, 12:17 AM.
                      Go Pioneers!

Comment

One thing we learned tonight is that BSU is out. We're left with BGU, Tech or State getting the AQ from the WCHA. We'll be down to two after tomorrow's game three. #37 in the PWR (Bowling Green) is through to the championship game next weekend--one win away from being #16.
                        BG has significantly upped their game the last month or so. Don't ask me why it took so long but they are a vastly different team than early, the same can generally be said for all the three WCHA teams. they are a lot better lately.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                          If the season ended today:

1 Denver
                          2 Duluth
                          3 Harvard
                          4 Western Michigan
                          5 Boston U
                          6 Minnesota
                          7 Union
                          8 Lowell
                          9 Notre Dame
                          10 North Dakota
                          11 Providence
                          12 Cornell
                          13 Penn State
                          14 Ohio State
                          15 Air Force
                          16 WCHA

Fargo

1 Denver vs 4 Air Force
                          2 Minnesota vs 3 North Dakota

Providence

1 Harvard vs 4 Penn State
                          2 Boston U vs 3 Providence

Manchester

1 Duluth vs 4 WCHA
                          2 Lowell vs 3 Cornell

Cincinnati

1 Western Michigan vs 4 Ohio State
                          2 Union vs 3 Notre Dame

I'm not so sure I have this right... I have two HE schools playing each other in the first round, but solving that is tricky. I can't move Providence College because NoDak must play in Fargo, and moving the other 3 seeds around will inevitably result in a HE match up. I can't move BU to Manchester or Cinci because that would make another HE match up as well. The only possible solution I see without changing any team's seed is to send BU to Fargo and Minnesota to Providence, but would the committee really pass up on a Minnesota/NoDak playoff game?
                          HI CT,

The first thing is a glitch on score updates. The Minnesota game last night was a tie, won by MSU in a shootout, but to the NCAA, that's a tie. And, it makes Minn 5th and BU 6th in the PWR.

That being said, about the 2nd and 3rd bands.... The committee is required to separate the HE schools, so yes, NCAA would forego a MN/NoDak matchup. That won't matter in Fargo - the place is sold out.

That would mean the likely matchups would be:
                          Union vs NoDame (7 v 9) in Cincinnati
                          Lowell or BU vs NoDak (6 or 8 v 10) in Fargo
                          BU or Lowell vs Cornell (8 or 6 v 12) in Manchester
                          Minnesota vs Providence (5 v 11) in Providence

My preference for 'fairness' would be that Lowell, as the #8, go to Fargo.
                          Also, if you wish, you can change the Manchester and Providence games.

With this PWR, Cincinnati is going to be a hollow sounding barn.

Final Edit: The placement of the WCHA and AHA teams would be up for argument as well. If, for example, Air Force and Bowling Green are the victors, then the difference in the strength of those 2 schools suggests that Denver, and #1 overall, play BGSU.

And, if Western Michigan ends up 4th, the committee's choice of locations for Denver and Duluth is going to be interesting, because their own guidelines suggest Denver to Fargo, and then Duluth to Cincinnati. Which would leave Cincinnati even more empty. Ha Ha to the NCAA
                          Last edited by Numbers; 03-12-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

One of the things that needs to be looked at closely now is the possibilities for flipping PWR comparisons that are still left.

Some of the most critical are for those on the bubble.

Air Force could easily flip the comparison with tOSU since they are virtually neck and neck in RPI. An AFA title and an Ohio State loss could do that.
                            One that depends on the outcome of a game tonight happening is BC vs. Notre Dame on Friday if UNH beats Lowell tonight. A BC win flips that due to head to head.

These are examples that could affect placing for those last few spots. Any others that are as important in moving teams up or down in those positions?

Comment

That would mean the likely matchups would be:
                              Union vs NoDame (7 v 9) in Cincinnati

With this PWR, Cincinnati is going to be a hollow sounding barn.

And, if Western Michigan ends up 4th, the committee's choice of locations for Denver and Duluth is going to be interesting, because their own guidelines suggest Denver to Fargo, and then Duluth to Cincinnati. Which would leave Cincinnati even more empty. Ha Ha to the NCAA
                              Wasn't Cinci going to be problematic no matter what? I actually think that Western, Ohio St and Notre Dame is about as good as that site can hope for

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                                One of the things that needs to be looked at closely now is the possibilities for flipping PWR comparisons that are still left.

Some of the most critical are for those on the bubble.

Air Force could easily flip the comparison with tOSU since they are virtually neck and neck in RPI. An AFA title and an Ohio State loss could do that.
                                One that depends on the outcome of a game tonight happening is BC vs. Notre Dame on Friday if UNH beats Lowell tonight. A BC win flips that due to head to head.

These are examples that could affect placing for those last few spots. Any others that are as important in moving teams up or down in those positions?
                                Never mind flipping individual comparisons. Look at the RPI gaps. From Lowell at 8 to BC at 16 is a pretty small gap. Leave Lowell out of that and....

NoDame (9) 5501
                                Air Force (15) 5430

That's enough hash, with the Big 10 teams potentially winning 3 games, and NoDak potentially losing 2 (NCHC has 3rd place game), to say that anything can happen in the middle of that, yet. It's simply not closely enough defined at this point to pick out particular comparisons.

Look higher:
                                Minn, WMU, BU and Union are all close enough that any could grab the #4. All of the first 3 of those will almost certainly fall in the 4-8 range. But, again, it's too tight to pick out individual comparisons yet.

Now, if, say, WMU loses tonight, then they are out of the running for the #4 (likely, anyway), and things get a little better defined. But, as of RIGHT NOW, we just need to await results.

Comment

Working...
                                X