2017 Pairwise thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

I don't see how Duluth doesn't go to Fargo.
    DU is flying anyway. Duluth doesn't have to.

I also highly expect Providence to be in Providence. It happened just a couple years ago with much the same situation. And the attendance boost will be too hard to ignore.

Comment

1. Denver
      2. Minn-Duluth
      3. Harvard
      4. Minnesota
      ---------------
      5. Lowell
      6. Western Michigan
      7. BU
      8. Union
      -----------------
      9. Penn State
      10. North Dakota
      11. Cornell
      12. Air Force
      -----------------
      13. Notre Dame
      14. Providence
      15. Ohio State
      27. Michigan Tech

West - Fargo, ND
      1. Denver v. 27. Michigan Tech
      8. Union v. 10. North Dakota

Midwest - Cincinnati, OH
      2. Minn-Duluth v. 15. Ohio State
      7. BU v. 9. Penn State

East, Providence, RI
      3. Harvard v. 14. Providence
      6. Western Michigan v. 11. Cornell

Northeast - Manchester, NH
      4. Minnesota v. 13. Notre Dame
      5. Lowell v. 12. Air Force

Swap BU and Western for the sake of attendance

West - Fargo, ND

Midwest - Cincinnati, OH
      6. Western Michigan v. 9. Penn State

East, Providence, RI
      7. BU v. 11. Cornell

Lowell will have to carry attendance in Manchester but everywhere else should be good. Denver goes to Fargo because it's the closest regional to them, and I do not believe "we don't wan to play NoDak in Fargo" is an excuse the committee would find as a valid reason to send them out further to Cincinnati.
      Lowell Forever
      Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
        1. Denver
        2. Minn-Duluth
        3. Harvard
        4. Minnesota
        ---------------
        5. Lowell
        6. Western Michigan
        7. BU
        8. Union
        -----------------
        9. Penn State
        10. North Dakota
        11. Cornell
        12. Air Force
        -----------------
        13. Notre Dame
        14. Providence
        15. Ohio State
        27. Michigan Tech

West - Fargo, ND

Midwest - Cincinnati, OH
        7. BU v. 9. Penn State

East, Providence, RI
        6. Western Michigan v. 11. Cornell

Swap BU and Western for the sake of attendance

West - Fargo, ND

Midwest - Cincinnati, OH
        6. Western Michigan v. 9. Penn State

East, Providence, RI
        7. BU v. 11. Cornell

Lowell will have to carry attendance in Manchester but everywhere else should be good. Denver goes to Fargo because it's the closest regional to them, and I do not believe "we don't wan to play NoDak in Fargo" is an excuse the committee would find as a valid reason to send them out further to Cincinnati.
        As you can see above, mine is exactly the same as yours. I would give a slight chance to a NoDame/Prov swap, and also a slight chance to an AFA/Cornell swap so Cornell is in Manchester.

Comment

Denver should be going to cincy

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
            Here's mine....Keeping attendance as good as possible:

Fargo: 1-Den v 16-MTU...8-Union v 10-NoDak
            Cincy: 2-UMD v 15-OSU...6-WMU v 9-PSU (All the teams who can drive)
            Prov: 3-Harv v 14-Prov...7-BU v 11-Cornell
            Manch: 4-Minn v 13-NoDame...5-Lowell v 12-AFA (Swap the 2 eastern entire brackets if you want. Swap Prov for NoDame if you want.)

The main thing is that Cincy needs the closest teams possible, so you put the #1s in as required. Denver gets MTU, because there is a big fall from 15 to whatever MTU's PWR rank is. The 4s go either perfectly according to seeding, or you put Minnesota against Providence under the assumption that Harv v Prov isn't 'fair'.
            The #2s go in according to seed, except that Cincy gets WMU. And, the 3s the same, except NoDak is host, and Cincy gets PSU.
            I've got the same exact bracket as you. My thought was Providence in Providence and Ohio State in Cincinnati. There are 3 eastern teams as 2 seeds so lowest rated Union goes west. With North Dakota in Fargo and Lowell in Manchester, attendance is as good as it can be at all four sites. Providence could be a tough ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Denver should be going to cincy
              If you move Denver to Cincy, then MTU has to go with them. That means you assume MTU brings as many fans to Cincy as OSU does, and I don't think that's going to happen. So, you decrease the Cincy attendance, and at the same time make Denver travel further. Two strikes.

The only thing in favor of that is that UMD can bus to Fargo, so you save a flight, which is probably a net $$ savings. If the committee does that, we will know they are tight with $$

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                I don't see how Duluth doesn't go to Fargo.
                DU is flying anyway. Duluth doesn't have to.

I also highly expect Providence to be in Providence. It happened just a couple years ago with much the same situation. And the attendance boost will be too hard to ignore.
                In Patronick's bracket, it would make a LOT of sense to flip ND and PC to boost Manchester attendance. Harvard, BU, and Cornell would more than do a good job of selling tickets. UML by itself with three western teams would leave a lot of empty seats. But many think the committee is inexplicably dead set on PC in Providence.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

When was the last time the Atlantic Hockey champ wasn't a four seed? This is an improvement for the conference which is much more competitive nationally than it was five years ago.
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I am taking the protect the #1 overall seed stance. Bracket integrity calls for duluth going to fargo. That would be my preference.

Comment

If you move Denver to Cincy, then MTU has to go with them. That means you assume MTU brings as many fans to Cincy as OSU does, and I don't think that's going to happen. So, you decrease the Cincy attendance, and at the same time make Denver travel further. Two strikes.

The only thing in favor of that is that UMD can bus to Fargo, so you save a flight, which is probably a net $$ savings. If the committee does that, we will know they are tight with $$
                      The Denver travel further argument doesn't make sense, DU is flying, it's far to both Fargo and Cincinnati. Another hour on a plane is meaningless, and they'd bring the same number of fans. Now you're protecting the 15 seed in favor of the 1 seed.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

In any event can't recall a bracket with so many different options

Comment

Cincinnati will be a wasteland anyway. Even if you put ohio state there.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            In Patronick's bracket, it would make a LOT of sense to flip ND and PC to boost Manchester attendance. Harvard, BU, and Cornell would more than do a good job of selling tickets. UML by itself with three western teams would leave a lot of empty seats. But many think the committee is inexplicably dead set on PC in Providence.

Main feature of Patronick's bracket is all the Midwestern teams in Cincinnati. I think that is the first thing the committee will do, because that's a friends and family crowd otherwise.

After that, in the east, I think there are several options similar to each other, and the weighing is slight. It will depend on the committee's own preference. The choices are:

Does Prov play in Prov?
                            If so, do they play Harv or Minn?
                            Since there are 5 eastern teams available for the 2 regions, do you balance (3-2), or fill one and have Lowell stand alone? In one sense, the last 2 questions go together.

Comment

What time is the announcement?

Comment

Main feature of Patronick's bracket is all the Midwestern teams in Cincinnati. I think that is the first thing the committee will do, because that's a friends and family crowd otherwise.

After that, in the east, I think there are several options similar to each other, and the weighing is slight. It will depend on the committee's own preference. The choices are:

Does Prov play in Prov?
                                If so, do they play Harv or Minn?
                                Since there are 5 eastern teams available for the 2 regions, do you balance (3-2), or fill one and have Lowell stand alone? In one sense, the last 2 questions go together.
                                Yeah, if that's the lay of the land then I'd say that's the most realistic... anything else is just too try-hard for Manchester... I also imagine that Minny will bring a non-trivial amount of fans anywhere... 500 seats not unreasonable... along with a LOUD umass lowell contingent as far as I could tell from the NESN broadcast tonight.
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X