2017 Pairwise thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

The funny thing about this discussion is that it actually mattered back in 2014. That year, North Dakota needed a win by Wisconsin in the B1G title game in order for North Dakota to be the last team in. Wisconsin won, but not until about 8 minutes into overtime.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      Ok, so there is no way an NCHC regular season game ends in a tie right? And yet we count that as a tie once 5 minutes is up. Yet, specifically for postseason play we tell the computer the rules of Overtime have changed for determining who does/doesn't get to go to the tournament. I'm not trying to be combative here, I just find the logic to be a bit weird.
      I'm totally on your side here 'UML Puck Hawk' and for the last couple of years have been on the same side of the argument you're presenting here.

Why would certain teams be given the opportunity to have an unlimited amount of time to decide a game and others are cut off at 65 minutes in which case they're stuck with a tie for PWR purposes? It makes it so that game does not equal the majority of other games throughout the season. If you're going to have an equation such as PWR, every single game that's input into it should be based on the exact same conditions. There should not be some games that go 65 minutes and others that are allowed to go into infinite in order to decide a winner. It's not logical.
      Last edited by MplsSioux; 03-13-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

The easy thing to do here is NOT HAVE CONSOLATION GAMES.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by MplsSioux View Post
          I'm totally on your side here 'UML Puck Hawk' and for the last couple of years have been on the same side of the argument you're presenting here.

Why would certain teams be given the opportunity to have an unlimited amount of time to decide a game and others are cut off at 65 minutes in which case they're stuck with a tie for PWR purposes? It makes it so that game does not equal the majority of other games throughout the season. If you're going to have an equation such as PWR, every single game that's input into it should be based on the exact same conditions. There should not be some games that go 65 minutes and others that are allowed to go into infinite in order to decide a winner. It's not logical.
          Using this logic, there should not be games that go 65 minutes to determine a winner when regulation games only go 60.
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
            Using this logic, there should not be games that go 65 minutes to determine a winner when regulation games only go 60.
            I just think it should be consistent
            BS UMass Lowell 2015
            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

I hope the winning goal of the NCHC Consolation Game is scored at exactly the 5:00 mark and then everyone can argue whether the puck would have entered the net before the non-existent buzzer.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                I hope the winning goal of the NCHC Consolation Game is scored at exactly the 5:00 mark and then everyone can argue whether the puck would have entered the net before the non-existent buzzer.
                I think in that game there is a5:00 buzzer. No goal at that time and it's a tie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                  I think in that game there is a5:00 buzzer. No goal at that time and it's a tie.
                  Shhhhh...
                  BS UMass Lowell 2015
                  PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Having a win count as a win is pretty consistent IMO

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      The easy thing to do here is NOT HAVE CONSOLATION GAMES.
                      Agreed. There are other reasons to not have this game--the biggest being increased injury risk for NCAA bound teams. The only ones who want it are those clawing at the door to get in. I agree with the consistency comment too. NCAA dictates so much else--for example no three stars awarded in conference tournies. Why not this?
                      Go Pioneers!

Comment

I just don't think its really a big deal
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

What I find especially interesting is the effects of teams getting in thru the conference auto bid. It's not all that unlikely. It's well known that teams who are already in don't play as desperate as teams who have to win or go home.
                          For instance, I give BC a descent chance of winning the auto bid, they're desperate, and sure it's a tough row to hoe but stranger things have happened. Robert Morris is no slouch, they could beat AF or Canisius. The NCHC has a history of lower seeds winning games in the tournament. So It could easily be the WMU wins out. If that happens I have three NCHC teams in the top 4.
                          And what about Minnesota. I could see them losing a game and dropping down to like number 11. So it could be that we'd end up with a Minnesota vs UMD game to start the tournament.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            What I find especially interesting is the effects of teams getting in thru the conference auto bid. It's not all that unlikely. It's well known that teams who are already in don't play as desperate as teams who have to win or go home.
                            For instance, I give BC a descent chance of winning the auto bid, they're desperate, and sure it's a tough row to hoe but stranger things have happened. Robert Morris is no slouch, they could beat AF or Canisius. The NCHC has a history of lower seeds winning games in the tournament. So It could easily be the WMU wins out. If that happens I have three NCHC teams in the top 4.
                            And what about Minnesota. I could see them losing a game and dropping down to like number 11. So it could be that we'd end up with a Minnesota vs UMD game to start the tournament.
                            Several things I disagree with here.

First, I agree that there should be a greater intensity for teams who need to win to qualify. So, the BC thing, I agree. Also, the AHA. I agree. AHA and WCHA won't affect the field much, however. Only the possibility of an Air Force at-large really matters there.

BUT...To say that Western has lots of reason to play really hard because a #1 seed is at stake is a big stretch, imo.

I agree that Minnesota is inconsistent. They could easily lose Friday night. However, there is no way for them to fall below #8. So, there is no way for them to play UMD. Now, if you mean NoDak, I would agree. However, again, there you have the problem of the HE logjam in the 2nd and 3rd bands.

Lots can happen, for lots of reasons.....

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                              Nope, this is flat out not true. Every single game has the ability to be tied and play an additional 5 minutes to decide a winner. Not every game has the ability to continue playing after 65 minutes to decide a win/loss for PWR, just the special few that we're referring to. Thus, the conditions of each game are not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by MplsSioux View Post
                                Nope, this is flat out not true. Every single game has the ability to be tied and play an additional 5 minutes to decide a winner. Not every game has the ability to continue playing after 65 minutes to decide a win/loss for PWR, just the special few that we're referring to. Thus, the conditions of each game are not the same.
                                This past weekend in the Big Ten, Michigan State scored ONE GOAL in two games against Minnesota (lost 4-0 and then 1-1 tie the next night). They won a shootout and advanced. Their record is 7-23-4. Yes, those apparently are the "league rules," but that "tie-breaking" method is different than what is used in other leagues. That affects the PWR, because if they win the tournament they will have knocked out a bubble team. And some could question that a shootout gives a lesser talented team a more equal chance to win an OT game. Just saying...

Comment

Working...
                                X