16 Michigan Tech vs. 1 Denver
    10 North Dakota vs. 7 Boston University

East Regional (Providence):
    14 Providence vs. 3 Harvard
    12 Air Force vs. 8 Union

Northeast Regional (Manchester):
    13 Notre Dame vs. 4 Minnesota
    11 Cornell vs. 5 Massachusetts-Lowell

Take a look at BU and Union swapping. Is there a benefit there? Not in my eyes.

So that’s my bracket.
    He's never been wrong before, but I think this will be the first year he doesn't get it quite right.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

No disrespect to Air Force, but what a difference it might make for Union getting AF in Providence rather than NoDak in Fargo. The latter matchup would be the worst case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
        Don't know if anyone has posted this one. I saw this in a tweet from Mike Chambers, the Denver Post writer. Strong integrity, limited travel expense and good for attendance.

Cincy
        1 Denver
        16 Tech
        6 WMU
        9 PSU

Fargo

2 UMD
        15 OSU
        8 U
        10 Sioux

Providence
        3 Harvard
        14 PC
        7 BU
        12 AF

Manchester
        4 Gophs
        13 Irish
        5 UML
        11 Cornell
        Interesting. So this ended up being Moy's pick before he swapped OSU and UMD to Cincy from Fargo.
        Go Pioneers!

Comment

I don't understand the attempts to fix attendance by giving the 4th seeds better situations.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
            Jayson Moy just posted his predictions:

http://www.uscho.com/bracketology/20...am-will-start/

He's never been wrong before, but I think this will be the first year he doesn't get it quite right.
            He's been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              I don't understand the attempts to fix attendance by giving the 4th seeds better situations.
              I know. I also think that in the past couple of years there has been issues that needed tweaking in the east regionals. I don't see that need with this field so I'm hoping that integrity wins this year. Moving OSU to Cincy maybe sells a couple of 1-2K more seats. Is that really worth the change?
              If it is, we can do a bake sale.
              Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-19-2017, 01:15 AM.
              Go Pioneers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                He's been wrong before.
                Oh really? I thought he's been perfect picking the field every year.

Edit: Never mind.
                Five of the last six years, I am the only prognosticator to have correctly predicted the exact brackets for the NCAA tournament, meaning that I have predicted how the committee thought when putting together the brackets.

Comment

He's missed one out of the last six years.

"Since USCHO began the PairWise Rankings, we have correctly identified all of the teams that have been selected to the NCAA tournament. Five of the last six years, I am the only prognosticator to have correctly predicted the exact brackets for the NCAA tournament, meaning that I have predicted how the committee thought when putting together the brackets. Jayson Moy - Senior Writer, USCHO"
                  I think he's nailed it this year too.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac
                    Oh really? I thought he's been perfect picking the field every year.
                    Yes, he's perfect at picking the field - he brags about it in every blog post. Every year he correctly picks which 16 teams will make the tournament.

Of course, anyone who knows the top 16 in the pairwise and the conference tourney winners can also correctly pick those 16 teams.

When it comes to actually figuring out who and where those 16 teams will play, he's had a pretty good record, but not a perfect one. (it's not quite as good if you look back more than 6 years)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                      Yes, he's perfect at picking the field - he brags about it in every blog post. Every year he correctly picks which 16 teams will make the tournament.

Of course, anyone who knows the top 16 in the pairwise and the conference tourney winners can also correctly pick those 16 teams.

When it comes to actually figuring out who and where those 16 teams will play, he's had a pretty good record, but not a perfect one.
                      Yes, I posted the quote I was thinking about.

Still, being perfect five out of the last six years isn't bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        He's missed one out of the last six years.

I think he's nailed it this year too.
                        I don't think so. As a Union fan, I'd love for him to be right. That being said, I don't understand this logic:

"Looking at the second and third bands, we want to bring Union east, Western Michigan to the west. How can we do this?"
                        Why would he bring #8 Union to Providence instead of #7 BU? BU seems to get screwed here. What could the reasoning be? "Sucks to BU" is not an acceptable answer.
                        Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 03-19-2017, 01:22 AM.

Comment

I don't think so. As a Union fan, I'd love for him to be right. That being said, I don't understand this logic:

Why would be bring #8 Union to Providence instead of #7 BU? BU seems to get screwed here. What could the reasoning be? "Sucks to BU" is not an acceptable answer.
                          I agree. There are a lot of predictions that have U as one of the only east coast teams going West. Maybe he doesn't like the young Terriers and wants to sacrifice them in the little mini, home away from home, Sioux Den.
                          Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-19-2017, 01:24 AM.
                          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                            Moving OSU to Cincy maybe sells a couple of 1-2K more seats. Is that really worth the change?
                            If it is, we can do a bake sale.
                            The bizarre thing is that OSU doesn't have to move anywhere to end up in Cinci. If you start with the idea that the #1 seed goes to the closest regional, the Denver goes to Fargo, and UMD goes to Cinci - where they would be matched up with OSU. End of story.

Now, since Duluth is a drive to Fargo, while Denver is flying either way, I could easily see Denver getting moved to Cinci if things worked out better that way, but that doesn't explain his starting with Denver in Cinci as his very first step.

Edit: Starting with Denver in Cinci also leads to BU being sent west instead of lower-seeded Union, which is also strange, if you're just going to put Denver back in Fargo anyway.
                            Last edited by Nowheresville; 03-19-2017, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Why not just leave it alone? Perfect matchups. Cincinnati attendance will suck like it did last time.

But if you must mess around, send Duluth and OSU to Manchester put ND and Minnie in Fargo. Think of the fun, stirring up an old blood lust rivalry (fka Sioux and gophers) and the possibility for confusion with ND (Don't they have some green uniforms) and UND.

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
                              16 Michigan Tech vs. 1 Denver
                              9 Penn State vs. 8 Union

West Regional (Fargo):
                              15 Ohio State vs. 2 Minnesota-Duluth
                              10 North Dakota vs. 7 Boston University

East Regional (Providence):
                              14 Providence vs. 3 Harvard
                              11 Cornell vs. 6 Western Michigan

Northeast Regional (Manchester):
                              13 Notre Dame vs. 4 Minnesota
                              12 Air Force vs. 5 Massachusetts-Lowell

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/bracketology/20...#ixzz4bkTR724F
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Why would he bring #8 Union to Providence instead of #7 BU? BU seems to get screwed here. What could the reasoning be? "Sucks to BU" is not an acceptable answer.
                                Begin by filling in each bracket by banding groups. Remember that teams are not assigned to the regional closest to their campus sites by ranking order within the banding (unless you are a host school, in which case you must be assigned to your home regional).

If this is the case, as it was last year, then the committee should seed so that the quarterfinals are seeded such that the four regional championships would be played by No. 1 vs. No. 8, No. 2 vs. No. 7, No. 3 vs. No. 6 and No. 4 vs. No. 5.

So therefore:

No. 8 Union is placed in No. 1 Denver’s regional, the Midwest Regional. (then Union goes east).
                                No. 7 Boston University is placed in No. 2 Minnesota-Duluth’s regional, the West Regional.
                                No. 6 Western Michigan is placed in No. 3 Harvard’s regional, the East Regional.
                                No. 5 Massachusetts-Lowell is placed in No. 4 Minnesota’s regional, the Northeast Regional.

Comment

Working...
                                X