2017 Pairwise thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

I read, on another site, an interview with the Committee Chair. He said that what they did was to make the bracket first: 1-8-9-16, etc, and then look at which location to place the groups in. So, NoDak's group, with UMD, went to Fargo. Then, Denver to Cincinnati, and etc. That's perfectly reasonable to me.

The 2 questions I have, going forward, are:
    1- Not really a question, but a general comment. Objectivity is a needed thing in hockey. There is no subjective way to pick the teams on the bubble, so objectivity saves the committee from accusations of bias. I like that. However, I feel that the PWR system, while it is wonderful in choosing the 16 teams, is not as good in deciding between seeds. The margins are too tight to make it a good system. I don't know of a better one, though, so the Committee might well be stuck. I had a "Committee votes on seeds" system built at one time, but in any case, it's just a hard thing to do, to bracket a tourney, without clear objective rules.

2- Bigger question: What are the regional sites for 2018? Do we know yet?

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      Notre Dame has such a large contingent of Subway alums out east, they are likely to have as much support in Manchester as they would have gotten 4 hours from South Bend.
      Nah, Fake Hockey East turned out very few at the Garden in Boston Friday for HE semis so have no idea where these subway fans are/were. Not even many poser fans either yelling "Go Irish!" on St. Patrick's Day. They did have a band there this year unlike in 2014 and I think it outnumbered their actual fans. They'll have the same dismal turnout in Manchester, along with maybe a few poser fans, as these mysterious subway alums will be nowhere to be found. Lowell, Minnesota, and Cornell fans will overrun the place.
      Last edited by riverchief1; 03-19-2017, 01:47 PM.
      Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
      Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
      Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

I'm guessing there will be less than 100 Union fans who make the trip to Cincy. If we had been switched to Providence (which would have sent Western Michigan to Cincy), both regionals would have had an increased attendance. Would swapping Western Michigan with Union really have messed up bracket integrity?

BU also obviously has a major gripe about being placed in Fargo instead of Providence.
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          This year he may be correct.
          Yeah, but Cornell over Lowell????? And did you hear his reason? "Angry Cornell because they lost to Harvard." Jeez...

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
            BU also obviously has a major gripe about being placed in Fargo instead of Providence.
            No they don't
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
              Lowell, Minnesota, and Cornell fans will overrun the place.
              goofs were in manchvegas in 2015. well the team was, not much more.
              that group will not overrun the place.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                . . . harvard doesn't have any fans.
                So untrue. I have the carpool duty Friday and it looks like I may need to bring the minivan!

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                  I'm guessing there will be less than 100 Union fans who make the trip to Cincy. If we had been switched to Providence (which would have sent Western Michigan to Cincy), both regionals would have had an increased attendance. Would swapping Western Michigan with Union really have messed up bracket integrity?

BU doesn't have a gripe at all. They are the #7 seed and playing the #10 seed. It was always a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                    So untrue. I have the carpool duty Friday and it looks like I may need to bring the minivan!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      goofs were in manchvegas in 2015. well the team was, not much more.
                      that group will not overrun the place.
                      Sorry, must be living in the past as I thought I recalled MN fans travelling well. But compared to the amount of Fake Hockey East fans that will be there, it will look like MN is overrunning them at least.
                      Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                      Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                      Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                        Sorry, must be living in the past as I thought I recalled MN fans travelling well. But compared to the amount of Fake Hockey East fans that will be there, it will look like MN is overrunning them at least.
                        much like any fanbase... if they don't think it's going to work out why bother on quick notice when you can watch on tv.

Comment

If riverchief1 is indicative of UML, then I have never met a more jealous fanbase than that of UML hockey. You guys have won nothing that matters (conference titles aside, and we have as many as you), have a history in this sport no more impressive than Notre Dame's, yet you act as if you have the hockey cred of BC, BU, North Dakota , Minnesota and Michigan combined. You are nothing, your school is meaningless and you are bragging about a team that plays a sport that is such a niche sport, reruns of poker vastly outdraw live college hockey. Riverchief1 sounds like a giant ********* and chooses to confirm this on a messageboard visited by dozens of people. Would anyone be surprised if he/she/it lives in a parent's basement and never had a date? If a BC fan wants to trash talk, I welcome it and they are entitled, even in a year they miss the actual tournament (no one cares anymore about conference tournament titles) and Notre Dame makes it. We may be "fake hockey east" but UMass Lowell is irrelevant, and I'd much rather be in the position where irrelevant fans of irrelevant teams make up ridiculous nicknames about my school. Such a shame when fans of a team are so thoroughly outclassed by the athletes and especially the head coach of that team. But hey, you enjoy your irrelevance while I enjoy the fact that my school is mentioned in the sports press somewhere every single day.

Comment

I think it's just that one dude. He is obsessed with notre dame for some reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I think it's just that one dude. He is obsessed with notre dame for some reason.
                              Definitely got under his skin though
                              BS UMass Lowell 2015
                              PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                                If riverchief1 is indicative of UML, then I have never met a more jealous fanbase than that of UML hockey. You guys have won nothing that matters (conference titles aside, and we have as many as you), have a history in this sport no more impressive than Notre Dame's, yet you act as if you have the hockey cred of BC, BU, North Dakota , Minnesota and Michigan combined. You are nothing, your school is meaningless and you are bragging about a team that plays a sport that is such a niche sport, reruns of poker vastly outdraw live college hockey. Riverchief1 sounds like a giant ********* and chooses to confirm this on a messageboard visited by dozens of people. Would anyone be surprised if he/she/it lives in a parent's basement and never had a date? If a BC fan wants to trash talk, I welcome it and they are entitled, even in a year they miss the actual tournament (no one cares anymore about conference tournament titles) and Notre Dame makes it. We may be "fake hockey east" but UMass Lowell is irrelevant, and I'd much rather be in the position where irrelevant fans of irrelevant teams make up ridiculous nicknames about my school. Such a shame when fans of a team are so thoroughly outclassed by the athletes and especially the head coach of that team. But hey, you enjoy your irrelevance while I enjoy the fact that my school is mentioned in the sports press somewhere every single day.
                                You obviously know nothing about our schools out here, do you?

Comment

Working...
                                X