2017 Pairwise thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Apparently (now that they have won a title) they are the new "darlings." I guess "bracket integrity" was important with BU but not with Providence.
    Uh bracket integrity was followed by providence playing harvard. 3 vs 14. That is what they mean by bracket integrity.

Comment

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Question - if the East regional was somewhere else, like, oh, say, Worcester, where would Providence be going? Same regional? It seems like they get all the benefit of a host without spending a dime. Nice work if you can get it.
      I actually had the Providence AD reply a few years ago about this and he said the NCAA would never send them outside of Providence when Brown is hosting...
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
        I actually had the Providence AD reply a few years ago about this and he said the NCAA would never send them outside of Providence when Brown is hosting...
        I see a lot of dark blue on the seat map. It looks like only only the lower bowl has been sold, and most of of those seats are probably school allotments. With no BC or BU this time, if PC doesn't deliver, I bet they go west next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          If riverchief1 is indicative of UML, then I have never met a more jealous fanbase than that of UML hockey. You guys have won nothing that matters (conference titles aside, and we have as many as you), have a history in this sport no more impressive than Notre Dame's, yet you act as if you have the hockey cred of BC, BU, North Dakota , Minnesota and Michigan combined. You are nothing, your school is meaningless and you are bragging about a team that plays a sport that is such a niche sport, reruns of poker vastly outdraw live college hockey. Riverchief1 sounds like a giant ********* and chooses to confirm this on a messageboard visited by dozens of people. Would anyone be surprised if he/she/it lives in a parent's basement and never had a date? If a BC fan wants to trash talk, I welcome it and they are entitled, even in a year they miss the actual tournament (no one cares anymore about conference tournament titles) and Notre Dame makes it. We may be "fake hockey east" but UMass Lowell is irrelevant, and I'd much rather be in the position where irrelevant fans of irrelevant teams make up ridiculous nicknames about my school. Such a shame when fans of a team are so thoroughly outclassed by the athletes and especially the head coach of that team. But hey, you enjoy your irrelevance while I enjoy the fact that my school is mentioned in the sports press somewhere every single day.
          This is pretty harsh. I've never seen a Lowell fan here suggest the HOCKEY program is on the same level as BC, North Dakota, BU, etc.

I don't see how your school's success in football 30+ years ago is relevant in the college hockey world.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            If riverchief1 is indicative of UML, then I have never met a more jealous fanbase than that of UML hockey. You guys have won nothing that matters (conference titles aside, and we have as many as you), have a history in this sport no more impressive than Notre Dame's, yet you act as if you have the hockey cred of BC, BU, North Dakota , Minnesota and Michigan combined. You are nothing, your school is meaningless and you are bragging about a team that plays a sport that is such a niche sport, reruns of poker vastly outdraw live college hockey. Riverchief1 sounds like a giant ********* and chooses to confirm this on a messageboard visited by dozens of people. Would anyone be surprised if he/she/it lives in a parent's basement and never had a date? If a BC fan wants to trash talk, I welcome it and they are entitled, even in a year they miss the actual tournament (no one cares anymore about conference tournament titles) and Notre Dame makes it. We may be "fake hockey east" but UMass Lowell is irrelevant, and I'd much rather be in the position where irrelevant fans of irrelevant teams make up ridiculous nicknames about my school. Such a shame when fans of a team are so thoroughly outclassed by the athletes and especially the head coach of that team. But hey, you enjoy your irrelevance while I enjoy the fact that my school is mentioned in the sports press somewhere every single day.
            This thoughtful analysis and humble behavior is indicative of why Notre Dame is so respected in Hockey East and will be missed so terribly when they leave.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              This thoughtful analysis and humble behavior is indicative of why Notre Dame is so respected in Hockey East and will be missed so terribly when they leave.
              that sums it up

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                If you move Denver to Cincy, then MTU has to go with them. That means you assume MTU brings as many fans to Cincy as OSU does, and I don't think that's going to happen. So, you decrease the Cincy attendance, and at the same time make Denver travel further. Two strikes.

The only thing in favor of that is that UMD can bus to Fargo, so you save a flight, which is probably a net $$ savings. If the committee does that, we will know they are tight with $$
                We'll never know what OSU would have done but I guess we'll get a chance to show what MTU can do. I already booked my flight and know quite a few people working through plans.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                  If you move Denver to Cincy, then MTU has to go with them. That means you assume MTU brings as many fans to Cincy as OSU does, and I don't think that's going to happen. So, you decrease the Cincy attendance, and at the same time make Denver travel further. Two strikes.

The only thing in favor of that is that UMD can bus to Fargo, so you save a flight, which is probably a net $$ savings. If the committee does that, we will know they are tight with $$
                  Honestly, I think Michigan Tech will send as many or more fans than Ohio State would have. Their fan base hasn't had very opportunities to travel to regionals and their only recent one was in Fargo where they could likely only get a select amount of tickets.

Comment

Is it really such a huge deal for PC to play in Providence? It really seems overblown to me. They're not playing in Scneider. They're playing in a much larger arena, that barely drew the last time it hosted. Honestly, how many PC fans will attend this weekend that wouldn't have made the 45 minute drive if Worcester was the host? How many Harvard fans would go to Worcester but NOT an hour down the road to Providence? Honestly, if Harvard doesn't get enough fans down there to make it neutral than that's on them...

It was a bigger problem when Miami had to play Providence - but that's what happens when you don't earn the right to stay in region. And as a Miami alum - I can promise you they would have felt equally as screwed playing PC anywhere in NE. I can also promise you Miami is unlikely to bring a large amount of fans anywhere - including Cincinnati...

I am shocked by how many thought it was necessary to protect Harvard but were adamant Denver should be sent to ND. Fargo will be a MUCH more extreme home ice advantage hours away from NDs campus...
                    Last edited by Dan; 03-20-2017, 10:49 AM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Is it really such a huge deal for PC to play in Providence?
                      Well, the thing is you've got a big collection of teams in the greater Boston area, many of them very successful programs, right? And between Manchester, Worcester and Providence it's a drive of maybe 15-45 minutes to where a Regional or two has been scheduled. But you don't hear about any of these schools being a lock for a bracket in any of the local Regionals, even if a relatively high seed. I remember Harvard going out to South Bend a couple of years ago - hard to follow them there. And #2 tier BU is being sent out to Fargo this week. That school even had the foresight to put Boston in their name, so everyone would remember where they are located. We should all expect to travel for the bracket if its true to the PWR and is equally applied to all. But Providence has to stay in Providence, because. That's what makes it offensive.
                      Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

This time around providence being in providence does matchup with the PWR though

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          This time around providence being in providence does matchup with the PWR though
                          If you are saying that #3 Harvard is assigned to the same Regional as is #14 Harvard, then yes I agree. But which of them determined that they would go there? Had 3 New England teams made the top 4 PWR and a 1st tier Harvard been sent to say Cincinnati, would the 4th tier Providence have been sent there with them? Because it sounds like they would not have been.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Exactly - this is where Harvard would be placed and Providence is their draw. And because NE is so small and drive able it's entirely ok - is their really a tangible difference playing this game in Manchester? Again, it's a big arena and allotments are equal for all fan bases. It's not a game at Scneider with a couple hundred tickets for Harvard. There is no reason to take any 'offense' this season...

In 2014-15 Miami could have played Quinipiac or Yale in Providence instead. What would have been the difference? Two good teams and fan bases from less than an hour away. Same atmosphere a few extra NCAA bucks. No harm, no foul. Providence being at home had nothing to do with the outcome. RedHawk fans who didn't go to Providence, certainly wouldn't have gone to Manchester. Miami lost because Barber was hurt, Coleman was suspended, the entire team took the first two periods off and PC was better.

The box score lists attendance as 7900 - so it was probably more like 5,000. Let's say 2500-3000 PC fans, in a cavernous arena. If that's insurmountable or even an advantage in an opponents eyes, they deserve to lose...

Miami was the fourth one seed - this happens when your the fourth one seed. Playing ND in Fargo is a bad draw. Playing UNH in Manchester (when they were good) is a bad draw. Playing PC in Providence is no different than playing them in Worcester or Albany or Manchester. Playing Jon Gilles is a bad draw - and that's just tournament hockey...

---

There is a narrative emerging that SC beat Duke because the game was in SC. And it's silly. Greenville is an hot closer than Greensboro for SC and an hour and a half further for Duke. Duke just lost...
                            Last edited by Dan; 03-20-2017, 11:27 AM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Once again, I don't care where Harvard ended up this time, or any other time as long as it is fair. If the Crimson are going to win, they can do that anywhere. What is bothersome is the position allegedly held by the NCAA itself and reportedly stated by Providence officials about its special treatment as a non-host school. That's all. I don't know how they came to this (regardless of PWR rank) status level that the other 15 teams do not seem to enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                                If you are saying that #3 Harvard is assigned to the same Regional as is #14 Harvard, then yes I agree. But which of them determined that they would go there? Had 3 New England teams made the top 4 PWR and a 1st tier Harvard been sent to say Cincinnati, would the 4th tier Providence have been sent there with them? Because it sounds like they would not have been.
                                I suppose it depends on the committee that particular year and who you could get to play in providence. For example if you could get two eastern teams that would draw well in providence, i think providence would get shipped out.

Comment

Working...
                                X