2017 Pairwise thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    Begin by filling in each bracket by banding groups. Remember that teams are not assigned to the regional closest to their campus sites by ranking order within the banding (unless you are a host school, in which case you must be assigned to your home regional).

If this is the case, as it was last year, then the committee should seed so that the quarterfinals are seeded such that the four regional championships would be played by No. 1 vs. No. 8, No. 2 vs. No. 7, No. 3 vs. No. 6 and No. 4 vs. No. 5.

So therefore:

No. 8 Union is placed in No. 1 Denver’s regional, the Midwest Regional. (then Union goes east).
    No. 7 Boston University is placed in No. 2 Minnesota-Duluth’s regional, the West Regional.
    No. 6 Western Michigan is placed in No. 3 Harvard’s regional, the East Regional.
    No. 5 Massachusetts-Lowell is placed in No. 4 Minnesota’s regional, the Northeast Regional.
    I know. I'm asking why he swaps Union with Western Michigan instead of swapping BU with Western Michigan.

When he brings Union east, it sets up a first round matchup with Cornell, which is obviously not allowed. That then forces him to move Cornell to Manchester, swapping them with Air Force.

If he had just swapped BU with Western Michigan, the bracket could be finished without any further moves. It seems like BU (#7) deserves to be rewarded by coming East over Union (#8).

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Moy being right on this one.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

There are a ton of options this year but as a neutral since BC is out, i firmly believe denver should go to cincy and you build around that

Comment

A lot of times there might be one tough decision but this is actually fascinating

Comment

One thing i would like to ask jim montgomery is if he would rather play #16 in fargo with UND possibly looming or how about play #15 ohio state in Cincinnati?

How about that as an option?

Comment

Kinda funny worrying about attendance when these barns are historically empty for the most part. One can't polish a turd.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              One thing i would like to ask jim montgomery is if he would rather play #16 in fargo with UND possibly looming or how about play #15 ohio state in Cincinnati?

How about that as an option?
              They didn't get into opponents but he did say Denver shouldn't be going any further east than Cincinnati.

The problem for Denver is the "flight is a flight" mentality of the NCAA. Unless they are hosting they are flying. They won't go to Providence and it's highly unlikely they go to Manchester. No matter where they end up they should be paired with Tech. That means Fargo.

Comment

Very interesting to look at the pairwise comparison grid, and imagine how different the rankings would be this year if RPI was not the tie-breaker; but, head-to-head and then record vs common opponents instead. Rankings would have changed drastically (Denver no longer the #1 overall, Lowell getting a #1 seed by my calc's).

Comment

My prediction:

I don't think they make the #1 team come all the way across the country, but I also think they try to protect Denver from North Dakota in Fargo. So...

Cincinnati
                  1. Denver v. 16 Michigan Tech
                  6. Western Michigan v. 9 Penn State

Fargo
                  2. Minnesota-Duluth v. 15. Ohio State
                  8. Union v. 10. North Dakota

Providence
                  3. Harvard v. 14 Providence
                  7. Boston University v. 11. Cornell

Manchester
                  4. Minnesota v. 13. Notre Dame
                  5. UMass-Lowell v. 12. Air Force

Changes:
                  1. From the purest bracket, Union in Cincy, BU in Fargo, and Western Michigan in Providence doesn't make a lot of sense travel or attendance wise. However since there are 3 eastern teams in the 2 band, someone has to travel. I can't just swap BU and Western though, because that creates a NCHC matchup, and I can't swap Union and Western because that creates an ECAC matchup. So here we get a 3 team shuffle. BU comes east and helps to boost Providence's attendance that much more (and makes a very compelling bracket). Union, as the lowest 2 seed, gets North Dakota in Fargo. And Western stays somewhat closer to home, getting Penn State.

Non-Changes:
                  1. Notre Dame could move but I chose not to. They travel to the east all the time, they are nominally a Hockey East team, and they have plenty of East Coast support. Messing with the bracket for their benefit seems pointless and I'd be sending a western team east anyway.
                  2. Likewise with Air Force - they are travelling wherever I put them. The closest regional would be Fargo, but I can't move their banded team because that's North Dakota. Penn State in Cincinnati is not traveling to far, so switching Air Force there messes up bracket integrity and travel for barely less of a fix for Air Force than if I left them. I could see swapping them for Cornell so that Cornell brings attendance to Manchester because Providence's attendance will be more than fine even without them, but let's be honest, that Providence bracket has storylines galore.
                  3. There's certainly an argument for moving Ohio State to Cincinnati here, for travel and attendance purposes. The question is 1. do you do it by putting the number 1 seed in Fargo? Or having them play a 15 seed? If the committee doesn't care about the potential Fargo home ice situation, I can see that being the one flip - 1/16 in Fargo, 2/15 in Ohio.
                  Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                    If he had just swapped BU with Western Michigan, the bracket could be finished without any further moves. It seems like BU (#7) deserves to be rewarded by coming East over Union (#8).
                    Especially since BU beat Union. Which I know probably means nothing, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Question-if BU had beaten BC then lost to UML, and everything else remained the same, would they be in any different position this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Especially since BU beat Union. Which I know probably means nothing, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Question-if BU had beaten BC then lost to UML, and everything else remained the same, would they be in any different position this morning?
                      I changed the result of the BU-BC game on College Hockey News' tool and it gave BU a #1 seed (4th in PWR). But I'm not sure if when I make that switch if the program is having UML beat BU or BC so that may not be 100% accurate.
                      Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                      Go Crimson!

Comment

While we wait, let's do this:

What do we agree on?
                        1- Denver, as the overall #1, plays MTU.
                        2- For bracket integrity, #8 Union goes in Denver's bracket
                        3- Western, as a #2 'close' to Cincinnati, will play in Cincinnati.
                        4- Neither Denver nor UMD goes east. One western team has to go east as a #1, and it's going to be Minnesota.

Questions:
                        1- Is NoDak as a #3 in the Fargo bracket enough of a concern that Denver goes to Cincinnati, and UMD to Fargo? (This saves a flight also)
                        2- Does Providence play at home? If so, does the committee 'protect' #3 Harvard, who has quite a gap to Minnesota as #4, from playing Providence?
                        3- Does the committee necessarily think there is a difference between OSU, Providence, and NoDame as #4 seeds? (This is different from past years, because AFA is a #3).
                        4- Does Penn State get moved to Cincinnati for attendance and savings on travel cost?
                        5- Does the committee put the eastern teams in the 2/3 bands and Harvard (of whom there are 5 altogether), 4 and 1 in the 2 regions, or 3 and 2?
                        6- Probably substantially answered more by the other questions, but, "Is there a chance Union does NOT play NoDak?"

There is no 'perfect' answer. And, no "right" and "wrong" except that, for competitive equity, no favors SHOULD be made to Providence. Although, the committee might. But, that's the one WRONG that is possible here.

Comment

• Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                          I changed the result of the BU-BC game on College Hockey News' tool and it gave BU a #1 seed (4th in PWR). But I'm not sure if when I make that switch if the program is having UML beat BU or BC so that may not be 100% accurate.
                          You can't change other results so it's still BC-UML in the final. IIRC from other scenarios this week BU would still be a 2-seed, 5 overall with Lowell 6 and WMU 7.

Comment

Penn State is flying no matter - barely. State College is actually closer to Providence (415 miles) than Cincinnati (426).

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                              Very interesting to look at the pairwise comparison grid, and imagine how different the rankings would be this year if RPI was not the tie-breaker; but, head-to-head and then record vs common opponents instead. Rankings would have changed drastically (Denver no longer the #1 overall, Lowell getting a #1 seed by my calc's).
                              if uhn won 6 more games THEY would have made the ncaa's!!
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

It is just me or it is becoming a trend where there are some questions and intrigue before the official ones are unveiled?
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X