X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Definitely got under his skin though
    no kidding... I think its that whole going to a french college thing... all bluster no teeth.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      no kidding... I think its that whole going to a french college thing... all bluster no teeth.
      Oh...I get it now. He means the "Notre Dame" in PARIS.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        I think it's just that one dude. He is obsessed with notre dame for some reason.
        It's funny actually. I have nothing but respect for UML and have been rooting for them for years now. I love to watch them play and when I am particularly frustrated with the stagnation of ND hockey would pine for a coach like Bazin. I openly have campaigned for Lammers to come back to the NCAA and take over the reins of my team as I thought he learned how to build and run an entire program while working with Bazin. I just think it is ridiculous when people seem to measure their self-worth by how well they fare against Notre Dame hockey. He also continually points out how tough Hockey East turned out for Notre Dame but doesn't seem to realize that aside from UML we have won something like 70% of our games against the rest of the league. If we suck, yet we win far more than we lose against Hockey East, wouldn't Hockey East suck too, and wouldn't that detract from how well UML appears to be doing? For the record, Hockey East doesn't suck, obviously, so our record far above .500 in the four years here must not suck either.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          Oh...I get it now. He means the "Notre Dame" in PARIS.
          "Notre Dame du lac"... hey, its their name, its their order, let them own it... the place was created by french priests
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            It's funny actually. I have nothing but respect for UML and have been rooting for them for years now. I love to watch them play and when I am particularly frustrated with the stagnation of ND hockey would pine for a coach like Bazin. I openly have campaigned for Lammers to come back to the NCAA and take over the reins of my team as I thought he learned how to build and run an entire program while working with Bazin. I just think it is ridiculous when people seem to measure their self-worth by how well they fare against Notre Dame hockey. He also continually points out how tough Hockey East turned out for Notre Dame but doesn't seem to realize that aside from UML we have won something like 70% of our games against the rest of the league. If we suck, yet we win far more than we lose against Hockey East, wouldn't Hockey East suck too, and wouldn't that detract from how well UML appears to be doing? For the record, Hockey East doesn't suck, obviously, so our record far above .500 in the four years here must not suck either.
            That winning percentage gets you an average of fifth place for your stay in Hockey East. I will give the team credit for improving their standing each year, from 7th to 5th to 3rd, maybe they should have hung around for one more season.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
              I think all this defense of "bracket integrity" is overrated for college hockey. If there difference between teams were greater I could see it more however we have seen how much teams can move in the Pairwise just by changing the result of just one game. The differences between 6-7 or 12-13 etc. are quite miniscule.

Taking that into consideration I think the committee moving teams around within their seed's band for attendance purposes is entirely appropriate and a bit of a mystery to me why they did it less this year.

Perhaps that since we didn't have any intraconference matchups in the straight bracket caused the committee to not want to tinker with things?

The chairman of the committee is in favor of on campus sites so they did nothing to maximize attendance- Pitiful what they did to Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                Definitely got under his skin though
                I thought you were the only one who did that? Looks like ND is a little thinskinned all around. Even their bench Friday night couldn't take some stares, banter, and signs from those guys in the front row so they cried to the ushers who had to make them stop. Rudy's all irritated but it was pretty clear other HE fanbases weren't in his corner either as evidenced by some of these posts from other team's fans the past few days:

“Just goes to show how ridiculous it was to have a team from 895 miles away in your conference (I get it that out West there isn't much of a choice because things are geographically way more spread out).”

“In all my years of watching Hockey East I've never seen all fans united like they've been for the "GTFO Notre Dame" cause. It's glorious.”

Even the ND coach - "As much as we’ve been proud to be a member of Hockey East, its never felt like we’ve belonged here. It’s a crazy thought, but it’s just the way it is. It’s certainly not by anyone’s actions or anything like that. You just don’t feel like you necessarily belong."

Be the same way if all of a sudden Miami-Ohio joined HE or something. There are just natural fits and oddball fits. And from Day One, having them in HE was always a head-scratcher to many. Whatever. I'm actually kind of sad to see them leave though as even though BIG10 will be a more logical fit for them, we'll miss the easy competition. There's always Amherst though.
                Last edited by riverchief1; 03-19-2017, 04:42 PM.
                Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                  The chairman of the committee is in favor of on campus sites so they did nothing to maximize attendance- Pitiful what they did to Cincinnati
                  The joke to me is that we even have a regional in cincinnati to begin with

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post

2- Bigger question: What are the regional sites for 2018? Do we know yet?
                    We don't know yet. The announcement of 18, 19 and 20 will be made at some point after the Frozen Four.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      The joke to me is that we even have a regional in cincinnati to begin with
                      Exactly. Cincinnati is a great town - but attendance was never going to be good there. The committee didn't 'do' anything to this regional. It just is what it is...

I am a Miami alum, but the fact is even if the host qualified AND Ohio State was sent to Cincy this regional would still have been a disaster as far as attendance goes...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

For the record, Hockey East doesn't suck, obviously, so our record far above .500 in the four years here must not suck either.
                        7-8 in the Hockey East Playoffs. Great, you can win a lot of regular season games, but when it comes to meaningful games, your "far above .500" record doesn't mean anything.
                        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          HEADING TO OVERTIME!!!!

hahahahahahahaha
                          Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          ...overtime in lacrosse on ESPNU. Lol.
                          bwahaha! only 2 comments? I was standing there cracking a joke avbout the irony of having Lax on when they tied it up. Commentary from all around was priceless.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          if they played the first game the arena would be empty. at least now there is a chance some fools stay
                          forces those who are waiting to see about tix for the next day to stick around.

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                          By this logic, Lowell and Cornell should play the 2nd game. Same with NoDak in Fargo.
                          See above.

I did think it was a bit weird.

Comment

Question - if the East regional was somewhere else, like, oh, say, Worcester, where would Providence be going? Same regional? It seems like they get all the benefit of a host without spending a dime. Nice work if you can get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Question - if the East regional was somewhere else, like, oh, say, Worcester, where would Providence be going? Same regional? It seems like they get all the benefit of a host without spending a dime. Nice work if you can get it.
                              Apparently (now that they have won a title) they are the new "darlings." I guess "bracket integrity" was important with BU but not with Providence.

Comment

If riverchief1 is indicative of UML, then I have never met a more jealous fanbase than that of UML hockey. You guys have won nothing that matters (conference titles aside, and we have as many as you), have a history in this sport no more impressive than Notre Dame's, yet you act as if you have the hockey cred of BC, BU, North Dakota , Minnesota and Michigan combined. You are nothing, your school is meaningless and you are bragging about a team that plays a sport that is such a niche sport, reruns of poker vastly outdraw live college hockey. Riverchief1 sounds like a giant ********* and chooses to confirm this on a messageboard visited by dozens of people. Would anyone be surprised if he/she/it lives in a parent's basement and never had a date? If a BC fan wants to trash talk, I welcome it and they are entitled, even in a year they miss the actual tournament (no one cares anymore about conference tournament titles) and Notre Dame makes it. We may be "fake hockey east" but UMass Lowell is irrelevant, and I'd much rather be in the position where irrelevant fans of irrelevant teams make up ridiculous nicknames about my school. Such a shame when fans of a team are so thoroughly outclassed by the athletes and especially the head coach of that team. But hey, you enjoy your irrelevance while I enjoy the fact that my school is mentioned in the sports press somewhere every single day.
                                That's the football team you're thinking of, btw.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X