Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 465

Thread: 2017 Pairwise thread

  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Agganis 115
    Posts
    337

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Except in consolation games...

    Can you link to any actual statement which backs this up, because I can't find one anywhere.
    "While it is true that most regular season games end after five minutes of overtime, if one team must win to advance to a second round of a tournament, the outcome of the game is official and “counts” for both teams. A team losing 10 minutes into overtime has a loss, just as if it had lost in regulation time. If tournament organizers choose to end the game after five minutes of overtime and play a shootout, then the game is recorded as a tie for NCAA purposes.

    Read more: http://www.uscho.com/faq/about-ncaa-...#ixzz4bF0CHFHM
    "

  2. #162
    Rodent of Unusual Size Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    22,820
    Quote Originally Posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Question for pairwise people. In postseason tournaments with continuous OT isn't the game still considered a tie if it is scoreless after 5 min for pairwise purposes? I feel like for the sake of fairness that must be true, but I haven't seen it discussed anywhere.
    No, the format of the game is decided ahead of time and the result is the result.

    If you choose to play infinite ot then it's either a win or a loss. If you play finite ot (5 min currently) and that period ends in a tie then it's a tie.

    This goes the same for all in-season tournaments... this misunderstanding has caused issues over the years

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Honestly I think your side of the argument is the one that needs positive proof. I don't know how logic suggests that there be a tie for seeding purposes when there is no possibility a given game ends in a tie.

    I think the reason you haven't seen it discussed anywhere is because that's not how it works.
    Ok, so there is no way an NCHC regular season game ends in a tie right? And yet we count that as a tie once 5 minutes is up. Yet, specifically for postseason play we tell the computer the rules of Overtime have changed for determining who does/doesn't get to go to the tournament. I'm not trying to be combative here, I just find the logic to be a bit weird.
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 20(19?)



    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    And I'd be giving BJ's to any kid
    RIP KRoy4Hobey, Gone, but probably Gr8Sk8M8

  4. #164
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    No, the format of the game is decided ahead of time and the result is the result.

    If you choose to play infinite ot then it's either a win or a loss. If you play finite ot (5 min currently) and that period ends in a tie then it's a tie.

    This goes the same for all in-season tournaments... this misunderstanding has caused issues over the years
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhett Hot View Post
    "While it is true that most regular season games end after five minutes of overtime, if one team must win to advance to a second round of a tournament, the outcome of the game is official and “counts” for both teams. A team losing 10 minutes into overtime has a loss, just as if it had lost in regulation time. If tournament organizers choose to end the game after five minutes of overtime and play a shootout, then the game is recorded as a tie for NCAA purposes.

    Read more: http://www.uscho.com/faq/about-ncaa-...#ixzz4bF0CHFHM
    "
    Thanks to both of you, that clears it up, though I still am not sure I like it, but that's fine
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 20(19?)



    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    And I'd be giving BJ's to any kid
    RIP KRoy4Hobey, Gone, but probably Gr8Sk8M8

  5. #165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    187

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Ok, so there is no way an NCHC regular season game ends in a tie right? And yet we count that as a tie once 5 minutes is up. Yet, specifically for postseason play we tell the computer the rules of Overtime have changed for determining who does/doesn't get to go to the tournament. I'm not trying to be combative here, I just find the logic to be a bit weird.
    The conference is allowed to do whatever they want for their own purposes after the 5-minute 5x5 OT is finished. The 5-minute 5x5 OT is NCAA mandated and counts for the PWR. The rest is the conference's own business.

  6. #166
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    5,545

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    The funny thing about this discussion is that it actually mattered back in 2014. That year, North Dakota needed a win by Wisconsin in the B1G title game in order for North Dakota to be the last team in. Wisconsin won, but not until about 8 minutes into overtime.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Grand Forks, ND
    Posts
    137

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Ok, so there is no way an NCHC regular season game ends in a tie right? And yet we count that as a tie once 5 minutes is up. Yet, specifically for postseason play we tell the computer the rules of Overtime have changed for determining who does/doesn't get to go to the tournament. I'm not trying to be combative here, I just find the logic to be a bit weird.
    I'm totally on your side here 'UML Puck Hawk' and for the last couple of years have been on the same side of the argument you're presenting here.

    Why would certain teams be given the opportunity to have an unlimited amount of time to decide a game and others are cut off at 65 minutes in which case they're stuck with a tie for PWR purposes? It makes it so that game does not equal the majority of other games throughout the season. If you're going to have an equation such as PWR, every single game that's input into it should be based on the exact same conditions. There should not be some games that go 65 minutes and others that are allowed to go into infinite in order to decide a winner. It's not logical.
    Last edited by MplsSioux; 03-13-2017 at 04:41 PM.

  8. #168
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    2,728

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    The easy thing to do here is NOT HAVE CONSOLATION GAMES.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  9. #169
    Ofcl Riverhawk Radio Meteorologist
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    South of Boston
    Posts
    8,873

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MplsSioux View Post
    I'm totally on your side here 'UML Puck Hawk' and for the last couple of years have been on the same side of the argument you're presenting here.

    Why would certain teams be given the opportunity to have an unlimited amount of time to decide a game and others are cut off at 65 minutes in which case they're stuck with a tie for PWR purposes? It makes it so that game does not equal the majority of other games throughout the season. If you're going to have an equation such as PWR, every single game that's input into it should be based on the exact same conditions. There should not be some games that go 65 minutes and others that are allowed to go into infinite in order to decide a winner. It's not logical.
    Using this logic, there should not be games that go 65 minutes to determine a winner when regulation games only go 60.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

    "I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

  10. #170
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
    Using this logic, there should not be games that go 65 minutes to determine a winner when regulation games only go 60.
    I just think it should be consistent

  11. #171
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    888

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    I hope the winning goal of the NCHC Consolation Game is scored at exactly the 5:00 mark and then everyone can argue whether the puck would have entered the net before the non-existent buzzer.

  12. #172
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    I hope the winning goal of the NCHC Consolation Game is scored at exactly the 5:00 mark and then everyone can argue whether the puck would have entered the net before the non-existent buzzer.
    I think in that game there is a5:00 buzzer. No goal at that time and it's a tie.

  13. #173
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    I think in that game there is a5:00 buzzer. No goal at that time and it's a tie.
    Shhhhh...

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    187

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    I just think it should be consistent
    Having a win count as a win is pretty consistent IMO

  15. #175
    D-1 Hockey Nut
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    On the Glass!
    Posts
    1,677

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    The easy thing to do here is NOT HAVE CONSOLATION GAMES.
    Agreed. There are other reasons to not have this game--the biggest being increased injury risk for NCAA bound teams. The only ones who want it are those clawing at the door to get in. I agree with the consistency comment too. NCAA dictates so much else--for example no three stars awarded in conference tournies. Why not this?
    Go Pioneers!

  16. #176
    Rodent of Unusual Size Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    22,820

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    I just think it should be consistent
    I just don't think its really a big deal
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

    Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey


    NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

  17. #177
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in the Andes
    Posts
    5,891

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    What I find especially interesting is the effects of teams getting in thru the conference auto bid. It's not all that unlikely. It's well known that teams who are already in don't play as desperate as teams who have to win or go home.
    For instance, I give BC a descent chance of winning the auto bid, they're desperate, and sure it's a tough row to hoe but stranger things have happened. Robert Morris is no slouch, they could beat AF or Canisius. The NCHC has a history of lower seeds winning games in the tournament. So It could easily be the WMU wins out. If that happens I have three NCHC teams in the top 4.
    And what about Minnesota. I could see them losing a game and dropping down to like number 11. So it could be that we'd end up with a Minnesota vs UMD game to start the tournament.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  18. #178
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    788

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    What I find especially interesting is the effects of teams getting in thru the conference auto bid. It's not all that unlikely. It's well known that teams who are already in don't play as desperate as teams who have to win or go home.
    For instance, I give BC a descent chance of winning the auto bid, they're desperate, and sure it's a tough row to hoe but stranger things have happened. Robert Morris is no slouch, they could beat AF or Canisius. The NCHC has a history of lower seeds winning games in the tournament. So It could easily be the WMU wins out. If that happens I have three NCHC teams in the top 4.
    And what about Minnesota. I could see them losing a game and dropping down to like number 11. So it could be that we'd end up with a Minnesota vs UMD game to start the tournament.
    Several things I disagree with here.

    First, I agree that there should be a greater intensity for teams who need to win to qualify. So, the BC thing, I agree. Also, the AHA. I agree. AHA and WCHA won't affect the field much, however. Only the possibility of an Air Force at-large really matters there.

    BUT...To say that Western has lots of reason to play really hard because a #1 seed is at stake is a big stretch, imo.

    I agree that Minnesota is inconsistent. They could easily lose Friday night. However, there is no way for them to fall below #8. So, there is no way for them to play UMD. Now, if you mean NoDak, I would agree. However, again, there you have the problem of the HE logjam in the 2nd and 3rd bands.

    Lots can happen, for lots of reasons.....

  19. #179
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Grand Forks, ND
    Posts
    137

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
    Using this logic, there should not be games that go 65 minutes to determine a winner when regulation games only go 60.
    Nope, this is flat out not true. Every single game has the ability to be tied and play an additional 5 minutes to decide a winner. Not every game has the ability to continue playing after 65 minutes to decide a win/loss for PWR, just the special few that we're referring to. Thus, the conditions of each game are not the same.

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    2,998

    Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MplsSioux View Post
    Nope, this is flat out not true. Every single game has the ability to be tied and play an additional 5 minutes to decide a winner. Not every game has the ability to continue playing after 65 minutes to decide a win/loss for PWR, just the special few that we're referring to. Thus, the conditions of each game are not the same.
    This past weekend in the Big Ten, Michigan State scored ONE GOAL in two games against Minnesota (lost 4-0 and then 1-1 tie the next night). They won a shootout and advanced. Their record is 7-23-4. Yes, those apparently are the "league rules," but that "tie-breaking" method is different than what is used in other leagues. That affects the PWR, because if they win the tournament they will have knocked out a bubble team. And some could question that a shootout gives a lesser talented team a more equal chance to win an OT game. Just saying...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •