Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    This past weekend in the Big Ten, Michigan State scored ONE GOAL in two games against Minnesota (lost 4-0 and then 1-1 tie the next night). They won a shootout and advanced. Their record is 7-23-4. Yes, those apparently are the "league rules," but that "tie-breaking" method is different than what is used in other leagues. That affects the PWR, because if they win the tournament they will have knocked out a bubble team. And some could question that a shootout gives a lesser talented team a more equal chance to win an OT game. Just saying...
    That's interesting, but I am confused by what you say about the team "advancing". My understanding is that last weekend was regular season for the Big Ten, and that regardless of what happens all season, all six of the Big Ten [sic] teams make the playoff bracket for this weekend, yes? So I don't think there has been no advancing yet, but rather just some seeding arrangements for a 6 team tournament. And if a team with 7 wins on the season can run the table through their conference tournament, winning 3 games on 3 consecutive nights, by their conference rules on tie breakers, etc. well good for them.

Maybe you think the NCAA should raise the number of conference teams required before an auto-bid is awarded? As a fan of a team in a 12-team conference, I can relate.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      This past weekend in the Big Ten, Michigan State scored ONE GOAL in two games against Minnesota (lost 4-0 and then 1-1 tie the next night). They won a shootout and advanced. Their record is 7-23-4. Yes, those apparently are the "league rules," but that "tie-breaking" method is different than what is used in other leagues. That affects the PWR, because if they win the tournament they will have knocked out a bubble team. And some could question that a shootout gives a lesser talented team a more equal chance to win an OT game. Just saying...
      The Big 10 tournament starts this coming weekend, not last week, so your example doesn't make sense when you state Michigan State "advanced".

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
        Agreed. There are other reasons to not have this game--the biggest being increased injury risk for NCAA bound teams. The only ones who want it are those clawing at the door to get in. I agree with the consistency comment too. NCAA dictates so much else--for example no three stars awarded in conference tournies. Why not this?
        Do the pros outweigh the cons? There's a SMALL chance of another bid from NCHC resulting from the 3rd place game. I honestly think they have a third place game because UNLIKE Hockey East, fans have to travel pretty far to get to the NCHC tournament and it would be kind of a buzz kill to see your team only play one game, and unlike the regionals or Frozen Four, there might not be a season on the line in the advancement or in this case conference championship game. If you're going, it's (kind of) cool to know you'll for sure get to see your team play two games.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
          That's interesting, but I am confused by what you say about the team "advancing". My understanding is that last weekend was regular season for the Big Ten, and that regardless of what happens all season, all six of the Big Ten [sic] teams make the playoff bracket for this weekend, yes? So I don't think there has been no advancing yet, but rather just some seeding arrangements for a 6 team tournament. And if a team with 7 wins on the season can run the table through their conference tournament, winning 3 games on 3 consecutive nights, by their conference rules on tie breakers, etc. well good for them.

Maybe you think the NCAA should raise the number of conference teams required before an auto-bid is awarded? As a fan of a team in a 12-team conference, I can relate.
          This. The B1G fail having 6 teams and getting a bid seems wrong- elitist bias instead of Eastern Bias.

Comment

Originally posted by MplsSioux View Post
            The Big 10 tournament starts this coming weekend, not last week, so your example doesn't make sense when you state Michigan State "advanced".
            Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            This. The B1G fail having 6 teams and getting a bid seems wrong- elitist bias instead of Eastern Bias.
            The reason for the BTHC in the first place is a Big 10 rule that requires member institutions to play in a nominal Big 10 conference whenever 6 or more of the Affiliated schools offer that sport. Thus, when Penn State appeared with hockey, it was a conference mandate. I do not entirely think it coincidental that the NCAA auto-bid rule also mandates 6 teams.

I do not know if the NCAA auto bid rule covers more than hockey, and I do not think that Alvarez and company intentionally instituted the 6 team rule because of hockey, but I do think there is a connection there somehow.

Comment

Don't RS shootouts count as ties for PWR purposes?
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                Don't RS shootouts count as ties for PWR purposes?
                A-yup
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  A-yup
                  So then what's the argument being made here?
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    So then what's the argument being made here?
                    Argument being made here in the first place was:

Since NCAA rules dictate that all RS games which end after 5 minutes of OT are counted as ties for PWR purposes, then tournament games should have a format like this:
                    1- If the game is tied after 60 minutes, play a 5-min OT. If someone scores in the 5 min, game over. Scoring team gets a win, other team gets a loss.
                    2- If the game is still tied at the 5:00 horn, the game counts as a tie for PWR purposes, and the league can use whatever method they want to determine a winner after that (this also applies in holiday games).
                    3- If, as is usually the case, a conference decides to use 20 min OT periods and sudden death to determine the winner of the game, the team who scores gets a W for that tournament's purposes ONLY. To the NCAA, it should still be a tie, because it was tied after 5:00 OT
                    4- In that way, all games are the same to the NCAA.

Many find this a foolish rule, and prefer, the "Rules are determined before the game starts. Everyone knows it's continuous 20-min OT periods, with a W and an L at the end. That's fair!!!" method. Including me. I like the continuous OT. Save the ties for the reg season.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                      Several things I disagree with here.

First, I agree that there should be a greater intensity for teams who need to win to qualify. So, the BC thing, I agree. Also, the AHA. I agree. AHA and WCHA won't affect the field much, however. Only the possibility of an Air Force at-large really matters there.

BUT...To say that Western has lots of reason to play really hard because a #1 seed is at stake is a big stretch, imo.

I agree that Minnesota is inconsistent. They could easily lose Friday night. However, there is no way for them to fall below #8. So, there is no way for them to play UMD. Now, if you mean NoDak, I would agree. However, again, there you have the problem of the HE logjam in the 2nd and 3rd bands.

Lots can happen, for lots of reasons.....
                      Yep, just interesting to see the effects of multiple auto-bids on the final placings. A BC win, An AF loss. etc.I agree though, it's different playing for a seeding than it is to get in at all.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                        Argument being made here in the first place was:

Since NCAA rules dictate that all RS games which end after 5 minutes of OT are counted as ties for PWR purposes, then tournament games should have a format like this:
                        1- If the game is tied after 60 minutes, play a 5-min OT. If someone scores in the 5 min, game over. Scoring team gets a win, other team gets a loss.
                        2- If the game is still tied at the 5:00 horn, the game counts as a tie for PWR purposes, and the league can use whatever method they want to determine a winner after that (this also applies in holiday games).
                        3- If, as is usually the case, a conference decides to use 20 min OT periods and sudden death to determine the winner of the game, the team who scores gets a W for that tournament's purposes ONLY. To the NCAA, it should still be a tie, because it was tied after 5:00 OT
                        4- In that way, all games are the same to the NCAA.

Many find this a foolish rule, and prefer, the "Rules are determined before the game starts. Everyone knows it's continuous 20-min OT periods, with a W and an L at the end. That's fair!!!" method. Including me. I like the continuous OT. Save the ties for the reg season.
                        Would now be a bad time to bring up that Beanpot OT games count as wins and losses if they go more than 5:00 into OT?
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          Would now be a bad time to bring up that Beanpot OT games count as wins and losses if they go more than 5:00 into OT?
                          This is the reason i mentioned holiday games. They also have their ground rules. As long as everyone knows ahead of time, I'm fine with it.

Comment

Clearly you weren't following college hockey when the CHA "College Hockey America" conference was around or you would not be complaining about the BIG 10 getting a automatic bid. That conference was horrendous.

The number of teams in a conference is almost irrelevant. At least with the Big 10 they have SOME quality teams. You've beaten some pretty good teams if you win that conference tournament, even though you only have to win 3 games over one weekend for the worst team in the conference. Also, the scenario you mentioned with a "7 win team" winning the Big 10 hasn't even happened yet, so why complain about it? On top of that, they are adding a 7th team next season. I'm guessing they will have a two weekend conference tournament with the #1 team getting a bye into the semi-finals and #2/#7, #3/#6, #4/#5 will play each other (2 out of 3) at the better seeds site.
                            Last edited by Riz; 03-14-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                              Clearly you weren't following college hockey when the CHA "College Hockey America" conference was around or you would not be complaining about the BIG 10 getting a automatic bid. That conference was horrendous.

The number of teams in a conference is almost irrelevant. At least with the Big 10 they have SOME quality teams. You've beaten some pretty good teams if you win that conference tournament, even though you only have to win 3 games over one weekend for the worst team in the conference. Also, the scenario you mentioned with a "7 win team" winning the Big 10 hasn't even happened yet, so why complain about it? On top of that, they are adding a 7th team next season. I'm guessing they will have a two weekend conference tournament with the #1 team getting a bye into the semi-finals and #2/#7, #3/#6, #4/#5 will play each other (2 out of 3) at the better seeds site.
                              Clearly what the previous conference was like is irrelevant to what is happening now. Basically the teams can all lay and egg and still get into the playoffs so... Still doesn't seem right.

Comment

Clearly what the previous conference was like is irrelevant to what is happening now. Basically the teams can all lay and egg and still get into the playoffs so... Still doesn't seem right.
                                Well... they'd likely have to face the #1 team in the country in NCAA tournament if that's any consolation. Also, this is probably the last year that a team in the Big-10 could have one good weekend and a terrible season and get into the NCAAs so there's that.

Comment

Working...
                                X