2017 Pairwise thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    It is just me or it is becoming a trend where there are some questions and intrigue before the official ones are unveiled?
    I just can't remember there being as many options as there are this year. I looked at 3-4 so called experts. All have different brackets. Usually there is a consensus or maybe only one tough decision. Maybe because there aren't as many intra conference matchup problems?

Comment

• Re: 2017 Pairwise thread

I know no one here will probably believe me but Ohio State or MTU in cincinnati is going to be a wash for attendance.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
        1- Is NoDak as a #3 in the Fargo bracket enough of a concern that Denver goes to Cincinnati, and UMD to Fargo? (This saves a flight also)
        To me, that's really the only significant question. Does the committee follow geography and send Denver to Fargo or protect Denver from UND and send them to Cincinnati. The decision doesn't really save a flight, though, because, if UMD drives to Fargo, OSU would fly there, while if UMD goes to Cinci, OSU would drive there.

The Providence issue is a little interesting, but based on the fact that last time a regional was in Providence, Providence was also a 4 seed and got put in Providence, even though by seeding they should have been sent west, it seems unlikely that Harvard would be protected. Of course, Providence went on to win the title after being given that advantage, so maybe the NC$$ won't do that again, but I'd still bet reduce costs win out over competitive fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
          I changed the result of the BU-BC game on College Hockey News' tool and it gave BU a #1 seed (4th in PWR). But I'm not sure if when I make that switch if the program is having UML beat BU or BC so that may not be 100% accurate.
          You will have to do the math....So here is what to do:
          First, note BU's win%age, w-l-t record and RPI currently.
          Now, add one more win, and recalculate their win%age.
          Subtract, and note how much it improves.
          Since Win%age is 25% of RPI, first add to their initial RPI, 1/4 of the resultant gain.
          Then, figure out the QWB for a neutral site win against BC. Add that as well. (Quick calc...add about .0003 or .0004)
          The result is very very very close to what their RPI would have been in the scenario you described.

I get .0026 of gain, so they would hop Minnesota by about .0003 for that last #1.
          Unfortunately, there is also a schedule change there. So, let me think....Adding a game with UML would raise the Oppwin%. OppOpp wouldn't change much.
          I think they would have had the last #1. But, without the ability to do a full calculation, I can't say that for sure.
          Last edited by Numbers; 03-19-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

in 2009 bu could have been sent to bridgeport to avoid a host in the 3 seed at manchvegas. that 3 seed won and bu did indeed have to face them. bu won.

the seeding is straightforward this year. no conf matchup concerns. easy peasy. mookie would be shocked if they flipped around stuff where there is no need to to help 'attendance' when there is seemingly no care when they award sites (cincinnnati, ahem ).

on a personal note mookie hopes they do and keep bu in the east. but bu should be in fargo.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Penn State is flying no matter - barely. State College is actually closer to Providence (415 miles) than Cincinnati (426).
              This is interesting. It means there is no flight saving to the 3-band. NoDak is already locked into Fargo. And, the best you can do otherwise is to have Cornell in the east somewhere.

I still think Penn State to Cincinnati to bring some fans makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I know no one here will probably believe me but Ohio State or MTU in cincinnati is going to be a wash for attendance.
                I have no reason not to believe that. We aren't talking ohio state football or hoops here.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                  You will have to do the math....So here is what to do:
                  First, note BU's win%age, w-l-t record and RPI currently.
                  Now, add one more win, and recalculate their win%age.
                  Subtract, and note how much it improves.
                  Since Win%age is 25% of RPI, first add to their initial RPI, 1/4 of the resultant gain.
                  Then, figure out the QWB for a neutral site win against BC. Add that as well. (Quick calc...add about .0003 or .0004)
                  The result is very very very close to what their RPI would have been in the scenario you described.

I get .0026 of gain, so they would hop Minnesota by about .0003 for that last #1.
                  Unfortunately, there is also a schedule change there. So, let me think....Adding a game with UML would raise the Oppwin%. OppOpp wouldn't change much.
                  I think they would have had the last #1. But, without the ability to do a full calculation, I can't say that for sure.
                  BU would have been a #1 seed if they had made the HEA final:
                  http://techhockeyguide.com/pairwise-...a-0cc47a7e6a58
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Has the NCAA ever concerned itself with a potential 2nd round game? I'm on my phone so I can't access it but I believe they put the overall #1 in the same bracket as the overall #5 one year. They aren't going to worry about the overall #10 (who they would assume will lose anyway)

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Has the NCAA ever concerned itself with a potential 2nd round game? I'm on my phone so I can't access it but I believe they put the overall #1 in the same bracket as the overall #5 one year. They aren't going to worry about the overall #10 (who they would assume will lose anyway)
                      That has been my thought as well. Protect the number 1 in the first round sure. But they're not gonna guess at the second roundexcept maybe to put big rivalries in place for attendance
                      BS UMass Lowell 2015
                      PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk;64toryline67802
                        That has been my thought as wetorylinesll. Protect the number 1 in the first round sure. But they're not gonna guess at the second roundexcept maybe to put big rivalries in place for attendance
                        Which is why providence will end up Harvard, bu, cornell, pc. Besides a cornell pc second day the rest have storylines
                        BS UMass Lowell 2015
                        PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Denver is going to Cincy.
                          Harvard in Providence.
                          Minnesota in Manchester.
                          Minnesota-Duluth in Fargo.

Bucci just tweeted this. It is confirmed.
                          LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Number One goes to OHIO!
                            Go Pioneers!

Comment

Ah yes the stupid tweet nonsense before the official show.

Committee got it right with denver to cincy. Now my next question will be if they ho straight bracket integrity in fargo or flip BU and Union.

Comment

Close to last minute, but here's what I got.

Fargo
                                UMD
                                Union
                                NoDak
                                OSU

Cincy
                                Denver
                                WMU
                                PSU
                                Notre Dame

ManchVegas
                                Minny
                                Lowell
                                Air Force
                                Tech

Providence
                                Harvard
                                BU
                                Cornell
                                Providence

I made the decision to forgo protecting Denver in Cincy to draw the Notre Dame crowd, as I don't believe Tech would draw that well regardless

Comment

Working...
                                X