Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conference Tournament Results: March 2nd through March 5th

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    Watching it live, it was definitely a high stick. The puck was traveling downwards, and didn't get under the bar by much.
    Originally posted by charlieconway View Post
    Thanks for the twitter link.

Live, I also thought it was a high stick and I'm with those who don't think the twitter shot is definitive. But what an unbelievable play by a great player with the game on the line. And i'm also OK with the call by the officials. What a good game. Gophers played great mostly, although that UMD forecheck certainly messed them up in the 2nd period. Gophers needed someone to put something away.......like Stalder did

Thank goodness I'm not a UND fan. I'd be so angry with Kolstad. Extreme lack of discipline with a big game on the line and a minute to go.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      What do we have for TV today?

The Hockey East final is on ASN nationally:

NESN+ in New England
      Something called "K47OQ (Tuff TV)" in Minneapolis
      Something called "WIFS-4" in Madison
      Other channels found here
      The WCHA final is on FSN North.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

What do we have for TV today?

The Hockey East final is on ASN nationally:

NESN+ in New England
        Something called "K47OQ (Tuff TV)" in Minneapolis
        Something called "WIFS-4" in Madison
        Other channels found here
        ESPN3 for the ECAC Final at 2PM today. Hook up your computer to your TV .
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
          Thank goodness I'm not a UND fan. I'd be so angry with Kolstad. Extreme lack of discipline with a big game on the line and a minute to go.
          It says so much about and so little for the UND program that they took two major/game misconduct penalties in the most important game of the year. It is not producing the results they should have given their talent nor can I imagine it is a positive recruiting image unless you are recruiting thugs - which I guess they are. May they get worse and be a group of losers until the culture and respect for player safety changes.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
            It says so much about and so little for the UND program that they took two major/game misconduct penalties in the most important game of the year.
            I didn't think that the first penalty was a major, and the player who committed it certainly wasn't intending to do anything egregious. As for the second, it is impossible to defend her actions, not because she did anything dangerous, but it was beyond dumb.

The Gophers were assessed two five-and-done penalties versus RIT two years ago in the first period. It's not the first time I've seen WCHA refs use a different standard in the postseason than they have used during the regular season.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              It says so much about and so little for the UND program that they took two major/game misconduct penalties in the most important game of the year.
              Well they do have a nickname to live up to. But looking at the penalty stats in the program, here are the per-game penalty minute averages for each team:

Gophers - 5.8
              Bulldogs - 6.3
              Badgers - 8.1
              Fighting Hawks - 8.7

(the Fighting Badgers do not trail them by very much)
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Well they do have a nickname to live up to. But looking at the penalty stats in the program, here are the per-game penalty minute averages for each team:

Gophers - 5.8
                Bulldogs - 6.3
                Badgers - 8.1
                Fighting Hawks - 8.7

(the Fighting Badgers do not trail them by very much)
                We did this a couple weeks ago, and I'll make the same argument now as I did then.

The better measure, IMO, is how many penalties a team takes relative to their opponents. It might very well be a game strategy for teams to 'play aggressive against Wisconsin', meaning Wisconsin will find themselves playing in 'high penalty' games.

So, in conference games with the same sets of conference refs (regular season, because that's what the WCHA page gives me; adding in playoffs even things out completely) Wisconsin has had 112 penalties called on them, and their opponents have had 108 called on them (in the playoffs so far, Badger opponents have taken three more penalties than Wisconsin has taken)

The Gophers 86 penalties both called on them and their opponents.

Duluth 86 called on them, 95 on their opponents.

North Dakota, on the other hand: 115 called on them, but only 87 on their opponents.

Comparing Wisconsin to North Dakota with those numbers in mind is silly, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  But it should never have gotten to that point anyway and wouldn't except for Rooney. Except for the second period when the Bulldogs seemed to find a rhythm the Gophers controlled play and generated great chances. Remember when I said it would be fun having the dogs back? Well, the game was sure fun but not as fun as I like.
                  There's no question that UM outplayed the 'Dogs who didn't seem to think that the game had started until the beginning of the second period. Crowell should explain this to them. And I thought they came out a bit flat in the third as well.

Credit UM for compounding the problem for UMD with their great play...they just seemed hungrier...they came to play and were quite aware of when the game started.

But UMD didn't help their cause and that was the problem even though they did improve as the game progressed with the sprinkling of some terrible play as I mentioned yesterday. Being hemmed into your own end for 3 solid minutes is unacceptable when the latter part of that 3 minutes is at full strength and you have a number of opportunities to clear the zone. Mindlessly shooting it along the boards as they are taught, trying to force it through legs and bodies and skates and sticks when your opponent knows that is what you are going to do since it's at the top of the page in every team's playbook, when there is a ton of open space mid ice to fire it out to the other end so you can get a line change is just crazy to me.

I'm reminded of Einstein's definition of insanity.

And Brykaliuk made a great play by taking what looked to be a shot on goal but which was actually a pass to Mrazova who made no mistake for the first goal. Other than that, as I also said yesterday, Brykaliuk looked rather disinterested in the game...listless effort, seemingly casual attitude, lack of intensity even though she seemed fine during the between period interview she gave.

So, UMD did not play their best game...far from it, which is concerning.

And now they'll be bagged today from that gruelling game and short turn around when they face UW.

Comment

BC looked baaaaaaad in the first period. 1-0 NU. I don't think they've found their legs yet after the marathon yesterday...
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      Comparing Wisconsin to North Dakota with those numbers in mind is silly, IMO.
                      On the other hand, those are the numbers. We just have two different sets of 'alternative facts'. What was it again that Mark Twain said about statistics?
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        On the other hand, those are the numbers. We just have two different sets of 'alternative facts'. What was it again that Mark Twain said about statistics?
                        Wisconsin's higher number of penalties isn't putting them at any disadvantage, because their opponents are taking the same number; that is, the average number of Badger skaters per minute is the same as the average number of oppenents' skaters. In exactly the same way, the Gophers' low number of penalties isn't gaining them any advantage; the average number of Gopher skaters per minute is the same as their opponents.

Heck, if you have a better PK AND a better power play than your opponents, maybe you *want* to get into a 'high penalty' game.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          I didn't think that the first penalty was a major, and the player who committed it certainly wasn't intending to do anything egregious. As for the second, it is impossible to defend her actions, not because she did anything dangerous, but it was beyond dumb.
                          In between was the cross checking call that put UND two players short, and that definitely should have been called a major and game misconduct. So, they got the set of calls they deserved, just, perhaps, not in the right order. They were undisciplined and stupid.

Comment

BC looked baaaaaaad in the first period. 1-0 NU. I don't think they've found their legs yet after the marathon yesterday...
                            1-1 after 2

I am stressed
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Is the UW vs UMD game not being streamed?

Checked the WCHA site this morning and could have sworn that I saw the link but can't find it now. Anyone know what's going on?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                                Is the UW vs UMD game not being streamed?

Checked the WCHA site this morning and could have sworn that I saw the link but can't find it now. Anyone know what's going on?
                                It's being streamed through foxsportsgo in conjunction with the TV coverage. You probably can't get it if you don't have a TV provider that gives you fox sports

https://www.foxsportsgo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X