This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What the Fark 4: It's not unusual to be strange anymore

Got to witness a Wes Scantlin melt down in person Friday night (lead singer for Puddle of Mudd). Knew their set was going to be interesting from the moment he was over a half hour late once the stage was set for them, then casually walked on the stage with his coat on, t-shirt inside out, and a duffel bag like he was just picked up from a bus station.

Opening guitar riffs started on Blurry (okay, solid opening since it's already three and a half hours into the show (Year of the Locus, Tantric, and Saving Able opened). Wes waves off the band before the first verse. He rambled his love for "everyone here," he kept walking up to the microphone, batting at it like a kitten, and would suddenly back up, throw is hands in the air, and give a wide eyed look of "I didn't do it." Didn't start Blurry at all.

New opening song (this is how terrible he was, I don't even remember what he sang), someone came running on stage shirtless and got removed by security. Wes was unaffected by it. (Okay, maybe he's not coked out completely and can salvage the show).

Got through "Psycho" without an issue. (Hey, things are looking up!)

Halfway through "She Hates Me," (back to back hits? Way to get the crowd back into it!) Wes is using the mic stand to ensure he doesn't tip over. Keeps leaning on it making it shorter, then pulling it up to get it back to where he wants it. Yanks the mic stand apart. Continues "She Hates Me" while miming his amazement that the mic stand pulled apart. Completes the remainder of the song using the mic and half it's stand like those old long stick mics Bob Barker and Gene Rayburn used to use.

After the song, drops the mic on stage. Spends a couple minutes shrugging his shoulders with a child like look on his face of "I don't know what happened, I don't know how to fix it." B*tches into the bass guitarists mic that he loves everyone there, but he needs a new mic stand.

Roadie comes on stage, visibly pi**ed, and reassembles the mic stand.

They start another song, Wes waves the band to stop again. Goes on a long tirade about how he wants the roadie to get hit by the band bus, how he's a piece of sh**, how he's never done anything right. How he loves the crowd, but can't deal with bullsh** like that. Name drops Fred Durst (awkward) teaching him a thing about how to handle roadies. Sings something "dedicated to him (the roadie)." Throws almost $200 worth of $20 bills to the crowd during the song; at the end of the song asks the crowd to "fu**ing get him a new mic stand, or not, just keep the money." At this point, his bass guitarist is laughing his *ss off with a look of "Not this sh** again, what else is he going to do," and the lead guitarist is completely ignoring Wes.

(Also at this point, the guitars and drums are much louder during the songs than the vocals from Wes' microphone.)

Mic stand collapses with him leaning on it and becomes short. Wes sings another song, but this time while sitting on the front of the stage atop his feedback speaker. The whole song.

Then he rants again. Crowd is starting to get rowdy at this point. Four hours of show at this point, at least four hours of beer, and a headlining act that is acting like an opening band isn't helping. Whines that he "doesn't know what to sing." A helpful couple of drunks from the back of the theater yell song names (totally waiting for "Free Bird", sadly not mentioned). Wes just pouts on stage. Waves off one of the theater guys who brought a new mic stand.

Gets up. Puts on his jacket, says he loves everyone, grabs his duffel bag, and walks off stage.

Band starts packing up their guitars as if it's the end of the show (it was).

Crowd is a mix of confused and pi**ed. Wife and I start to leave with a good quarter of the theater. Guy behind us asks where we're going, "he'll be back out, they just gotta get things set up for him." My wife responds (after Googling Wes' antics during his performance) "Not according to TMZ. This is his routine, either the show goes great, or he leaves early when he's whacked out."

When we got to where we parked, about three blocks away from the theater, we heard a pretty loud vocal commotion from behind the theater where the buses were parked. Drove past the buses on the way out, and it seemed to have quieted down.

At least Saving Abel was good, making Friday night not completely terrible.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Wes Scantlin is what happens when a d0uchebag jock regurgitates Kurt Cobain's career in slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Wes Scantlin is what happens when a d0uchebag jock regurgitates Kurt Cobain's career in slow motion.
        I've never heard of this person or his band. Does that make me old?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Shut up, shut up, shut up.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Link doesn't work. Keeps redirecting
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I've never heard of this person or his band. Does that make me old?
              No, it makes you very lucky.

Comment

No, it makes you very lucky.
                She Hates Me is a great song. Other than that? Meh. At the VERY best.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

She Hates Me is awful. Ugh I cringe every time I hear that song.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Holy ****.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ms_on_set.html
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I regretted buying that album when it came out. I played it twice and forgot I had it.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Prob should clarify: is it a rock masterpiece? No. Is it a great "whatever, it rocks" song? Yes.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Well, that would be the most "Fox News" thing ever. I don't at all doubt that Hannity would be allowed to carry a gun at Fox HQ, even if it's nominally illegal without a permit in NYC. He and Falafel Factor are their primetime stupidstars. I'd give it a solid chance of being at least half true (so, maybe Hannity was showing it to him during a break, and he "jokingly" pointed it at Williams - still monumentally stupid).

I read one of his books in high school (my sheltered conservative years), and even then I knew he was a twat.

Comment

Sounds like he was just messing around...but in that case, allow me to retort as a man from a conservative-leaning hunting family who loves and respects his freedom sticks.

*ahem*

RULE NUMBER ONE OF GUN SAFETY: TREAT EVERY GUN AS IF IT IS LOADED.
                            RULE NUMBER TWO OF GUN SAFETY: DO NOT POINT THE GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WISH TO DESTROY.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Rule #3 - Be sure of your target, and what is beyond. So, if you're really gonna blow away Juan Williams, make sure Bill O'Reilly isn't standing right behind him.

Comment

Rule #3 - Be sure of your target, and what is beyond. So, if you're really gonna blow away Juan Williams, make sure Bill O'Reilly isn't standing right behind him.
                                That's #4. #3 is keep your finger off the trigger until you are immediately ready to fire.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X