This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What the Fark 4: It's not unusual to be strange anymore

There is as a very long, straight and pristine stretch of road in Bahrain on which a very rich friend of mine allowed me to drive his Testarossa 140 MPH which looked even more frightening in KPM. I was 29 and childless at the time so pretty sure I would not do that again unless on a proper race track. But it was fun as f##k at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

That gets my vote for "Worst Reckless Driving Excuse of the Year".

The correct answer to give the cop would've been, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!" because that is obviously her attitude towards the situation. Especially given she appears to have a thing for sports cars.

Does NY have such a thing as "super-reckless driving", like a lot of states now have "super-drunk driving" laws? I'd argue this should be pretty equivalent in fine and punishment, and I'm not just saying that because she's a Fox mouthpiece. That's just a ridiculous speed to be driving on any American freeway, at any hour of the day. Go rent time at a racetrack if you want to dink around with how fast your Ferrari can go.
      VA is crazy about that. 20+ over, or 80+ anywhere, is an automatic reckless driving, and in VA that is a full-fledged misdemeanor charge with mandatory court appearance and possible jail time. Heard tons of stories about people getting a ticket for 82 in a 65, paying it when they got home, and finding out the hard way 3 months later they're busted for failure to appear in VA.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I’m actually of the mind we should open up the highway system like the autobahn and do dynamic speed limits. Grossly over-enforce the “stay out of the left lane” rules.

At least between the major cities.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I’m actually of the mind we should open up the highway system like the autobahn and do dynamic speed limits. Grossly over-enforce the “stay out of the left lane” rules.

At least between the major cities.
          No.

The highways are not there for young males joyriding.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I’m actually of the mind we should open up the highway system like the autobahn and do dynamic speed limits.
            Disagree. Germany has much better drivers' ed and much stricter traffic laws than most of the US. You can't even get an unrestricted (no supervision) license until you're 18 in most of Europe.

Comment

I’m ok with that.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                No.

The highways are not there for young males joyriding.
                It has less to do with joyriding and me getting to point B faster.
                Code:

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  I briefly pushed 100 on a long, flat stretch of unsigned back road in Keweenaw County once or twice, in my younger, slightly dumber years. I also did Brockway Mountain Drive (lots of ups/downs/curves, with a pretty sheer drop-off to the left) in the 55-60 range. That was enough. And I didn't even do it in a flashy, RWD sports car!
                  The last two long straight stretches going to Houghton, the last two "T's" in the road after Bruce Crossing, I had planned for this year. Only got a chance on the first T, since at the second one there was another car approaching, and didn't want to risk it. I floored the hell out of my car, hit just shy of 100, and I was not nervous. Definitely did NOT seem like I was going that fast. I only slowed down as to not rear end the leader of our little caravan.

Now, I have hit 100 before, in a Corsica, and GAWD you can tell that you are going that fast. That little experiment made me nervous.

And coming back from Copper Harbor, I was speeding like crazy when no other cars were around. However, I dropped down realllllll slow when I spotted another car, and to be honest, I wasn't pushing the car at all. I was still getting used to the cornering and such.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    VA is crazy about that. 20+ over, or 80+ anywhere, is an automatic reckless driving, and in VA that is a full-fledged misdemeanor charge with mandatory court appearance and possible jail time. Heard tons of stories about people getting a ticket for 82 in a 65, paying it when they got home, and finding out the hard way 3 months later they're busted for failure to appear in VA.
                    Yep. I don't exceed 10 over. However traffic is so bad on I95 between the DC beltway and Fredericksburg that I'm lucky if I hit 60.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Yep. I don't exceed 10 over. However traffic is so bad on I95 between the DC beltway and Fredericksburg that I'm lucky if I hit 60.
                      Unless in a caravan (where I am most definitely following, not leading), or in a remote place, I don't go 10 over on purpose. There are still times I look down now and go "whoops" and slow down.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        There are still times I look down now and go "whoops" and slow down.
                        Yup. There are a few roads around DC that are grievously undermarked. There's a stretch of Wiehl near where I live that "feels" like 50. It's 35! That's a danger zone for me -- I've already been nailed there once.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It has less to do with joyriding and me getting to point B faster.
                          Take a plane.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Now, I have hit 100 before, in a Corsica, and GAWD you can tell that you are going that fast. That little experiment made me nervous.
                            In my late teens I had a Swinger that could hit any speed I cared to try. I was not always as I am today: I took it well over 100. That's when I learned about resonance -- the sudden shaking almost made me wreck it.

All you have to know about brain development in adolescent human males is that it wasn't my last try.

A like model:

A muscle car incognito. Also had a convex rear window which was next to impossible to scrape the ice off of.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 11-22-2017, 03:24 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Didn’t realize how fast she was going my ****ing ***. At about 85 I get the, “oh crap I’m going too fast felling.”
                              That's cruising speed for the Illinois Tollway. You need to speed up if you want to pass.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                That's cruising speed for the Illinois Tollway. You need to speed up if you want to pass.
                                I'm regularly going 90 between Denver and Colorado Springs. At night, I rarely am going fast enough to pass someone.

Comment

Working...
                                X