2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

I agree. I was there Sat and Sun, and both sides were larger on Sunday.

And it was an extremely loud crowd for its size.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      Maybe that was the public paid attendance? Some corporations and Coach Pearson helped to pay for tickets for the students and local youth so maybe those numbers didn't get added in some how? Ryan J
      That is my perception just based on the radio broadcast. Seemed much louder.

Have they sold out yet? Pack in that standing room only. I love how steep the the rows are, feels like you are right on top of the ice.

Comment

I just bought my tickets and had to get standing room. I was on the website and it looks like there are less than 100 standing room tickets left. Looks like a definite sell out. I called the ticket office and they said tickets are moving VERY fast....could be out by the end of the day today.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
          I just bought my tickets and had to get standing room. I was on the website and it looks like there are less than 100 standing room tickets left. Looks like a definite sell out. I called the ticket office and they said tickets are moving VERY fast....could be out by the end of the day today.
          Yes, sold out, except season ticket holders have their seats on reserve until Wednesday. At that point if they haven't bought them, they open up to the public. I'd have to imagine if you are a season ticket holder that you are going to this game too.

Is scalping legal in Houghton county?

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
            Yes, sold out, except season ticket holders have their seats on reserve until Wednesday. At that point if they haven't bought them, they open up to the public. I'd have to imagine if you are a season ticket holder that you are going to this game too.

Is scalping legal in Houghton county?
            The tickets I released to the ticket office were gone immediately, as in sold to someone else before I hung up the phone. There will be tears shed on Saturday when people standing in line realize they ain't getting in the doors!

Comment

Season ticket holders have until Wednesday noon to buy their seat. The remaining unsold seats will then be offered to the general public. (I asked when I picked mine up today).

They say it has been a madhouse in sales so far so I bet it will sellout. It may be worth a try to get in touch with them Wednesday pm to see what tickets are left. Suites are already sold out as of this morning. There will no doubt be standing room tickets for sale I would bet. There is quite the buzz around the local area for the game. We love our hockey here.
              Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 03-13-2017, 08:16 PM.
              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                Agreed and thats why I doubt the number, was anyone there to say one way or the other?
                I was there, and empty seats on the far edges. I was shocked to see less butts in seats on Sunday (old folks side) with so much riding on the game. Student side had more Sunday than Saturday. The fans that were there surely made enough noise.
                Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM.
                MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

The standing room number was under 400 at 4pm.

TV6 is negotiating to air the game, should be confirmed tomorrow. If they get it, there will also be a 30 minute pregame show.

Comment

So thoughts on the new format? I think it went amazingly well, but my team probably had an advantage with this format getting to host the final.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      So thoughts on the new format? I think it went amazingly well, but my team probably had an advantage with this format getting to host the final.
                      I liked the format, and frankly, the best teams should get a shot at hosting — it ups the stakes past just getting to the playoffs and hoping to have a hot goalie down the stretch to make the NCAAs.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        I liked the format, and frankly, the best teams should get a shot at hosting — it ups the stakes past just getting to the playoffs and hoping to have a hot goalie down the stretch to make the NCAAs.

GFM
                        This week, lower seeds NoDak and Providence will essentially be home teams, in a system that supposedly uses "neutral" sites. At least with our new format, we've dispensed with the objective of neutral sites, and given home ice to the teams who have earned it. We can tell our teams that if you don't want to play road games in March, win more games in October through February. I'm not sure what the NCAA can tell Harvard and BU, but I guess that's their business.

We've also avoided playing real neutral site games in places where no one will show up, and where there will be no atmosphere for those in attendance, and some really bad visuals for those watching on TV. We had a championship that felt and looked like a championship.

Well done, Tech, both on the results and on the crowd and atmosphere you provided for Saturday's game.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          This week, lower seeds NoDak and Providence will essentially be home teams, in a system that supposedly uses "neutral" sites. At least with our new format, we've dispensed with the objective of neutral sites, and given home ice to the teams who have earned it. We can tell our teams that if you don't want to play road games in March, win more games in October through February. I'm not sure what the NCAA can tell Harvard and BU, but I guess that's their business.

We've also avoided playing real neutral site games in places where no one will show up, and where there will be no atmosphere for those in attendance, and some really bad visuals for those watching on TV. We had a championship that felt and looked like a championship.

Well done, Tech, both on the results and on the crowd and atmosphere you provided for Saturday's game.
                          I'll 2nd the comment on having a championship that looks like a title game. Really reminds me of the packed gyms you see in the small D-1 bouncy ball conference tournaments. Hopefully that will be sustained once the novelty wears off.
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            This week, lower seeds NoDak and Providence will essentially be home teams, in a system that supposedly uses "neutral" sites.
                            Let's be honest - the NCAA tourney does not desire to maintain a neutral site. Their desire is to put butts in the seats and make money. Otherwise every year's bracket would have 100% integrity and would completely disregard travel distance (16v1, 15v2, etc.)
                            Ryan
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              I'll 2nd the comment on having a championship that looks like a title game. Really reminds me of the packed gyms you see in the small D-1 bouncy ball conference tournaments. Hopefully that will be sustained once the novelty wears off.
                              I think the championship game will always do well. However your 1st and 2nd round games might not reach peak capacity for the high seeds. Fans might wait for more important games. Did anyone come close to selling out their first two round games this season?
                              Ryan
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                Let's be honest - the NCAA tourney does not desire to maintain a neutral site. Their desire is to put butts in the seats and make money. Otherwise every year's bracket would have 100% integrity and would completely disregard travel distance (16v1, 15v2, etc.)
                                Ryan
                                If butts in the seats is what they want, they better quit using Cincinnati as a regional.

Comment

Working...
                                X