2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Well all home teams won, will this continue?
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Here are the attendance numbers from the weekend.

Mankato: 2887, 2984
      Bemidji: 2401, 2767, 2107
      Michigan Tech: 2377, 2392
      Bowling Green: 1697, 2055
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

Average Attendance this season:
        Mankato: 3862
        Bemidji: 2803
        Michigan Tech: 3049
        Bowling Green: 2349
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Average Attendance this season:

Mankato: 3862
          Bemidji: 2803
          Michigan Tech: 3049
          Bowling Green: 2349

How many schools were on Spring break? That might matter more for some than others? Tech I know just started.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            How many schools were on Spring break? That might matter more for some than others? Tech I know just started.
            Kato started spring break on Friday. Student section was mostly empty. Of course, they would have had to pay for tickets had they been in town, so I think that number would have shrunk anyway. Still, as bad as those numbers are, they are up from the last 4 years. For some reason, playoff games just don't draw that well, especially if it goes to a Sunday game (2026 last year against LSSU)

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
              Kato started spring break on Friday. Student section was mostly empty. Of course, they would have had to pay for tickets had they been in town, so I think that number would have shrunk anyway. Still, as bad as those numbers are, they are up from the last 4 years. For some reason, playoff games just don't draw that well, especially if it goes to a Sunday game (2026 last year against LSSU)
              BG spring break officially starts Monday but everyone bugged out on Friday. The Saturday numbers are pretty solid for an empty campus.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                Well not sure if the numbers were bad but lower and with so many on spring break that is understandable, really depends on how much of a crowd is typically students. It is the 1st year as well for this so give it time. Like to see this weeks upcoming numbers

Comment

Well not sure if the numbers were bad but lower and with so many on spring break that is understandable, really depends on how much of a crowd is typically students. It is the 1st year as well for this so give it time. Like to see this weeks upcoming numbers
                  BSU's spring break is the week of 03/13/17-03/17/17.

First rounds have always been on campus. They are just starting a week earlier this year.

This upcoming weekend and next weekend will be the test with semifinals/final being on campus.
                  Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 03-06-2017, 10:10 AM.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

This year should be comparable to last year for the first round. Assuming Spring break timing was also consistent. There's no reason to believe that the new format would have any effect on the first round attendance. I think it has more to do with the matchups. If you had first round series between BSU and MSU and between MTU and NMU, you would have seen more sellouts.

It's the next two weekends that are of interest compared to the old final five, and attendance will certainly be higher just because there is at least one extra semi final game at each location, and possibly a total of 4 more games.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      BSU's spring break is the week of 03/13/17-03/17/17.

First rounds have always been on campus. They are just starting a week earlier this year.
                      This upcoming weekend and next weekend will be the test with semifinals/final being on campus.
                      Yes I know but as we all know this leads to anther possible home series not off to some distant tourney.

Comment

BG spring break started last Friday so our students were gone for the playoff series versus Ferris State. Also Bowling Green High School's hockey team was in the state playoffs so some more fans were at that game as well.

Comment

I know this will be a "no kidding" post, but not really a surprise to see the four programs that have financially committed to their hockey programs being the last four teams left in the playoffs.
                          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                            I know this will be a "no kidding" post, but not really a surprise to see the four programs that have financially committed to their hockey programs being the last four teams left in the playoffs.
                            The other thing I find interesting is we've now had 4 seasons and the Top 5 has always included MTU, MSU, BGSU and FSU. Alaska (3rd-2014), BSU (4th-2015), NMU (5th-2016), and BSU (1st-2017) are the other teams to join them through 4 seasons.

EDIT: I forgot about Alaska's NCAA penalty year where they would have been 4th if allowed to participate so that would have been an exception to the above.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                              I think other programs are simply unable to spend any more money. I think they would like to, but feel like they have to allocate the funds elsewhere. I know Tech would not be where it is without committed alumni.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                                Well all home teams won, will this continue?
                                I'd be a little surprised if they did. The gap between, say, Tech and Mankato isn't that big. Do you expect Bemidji State to beat Bowling Green? Yeah, you do, but Northern Michigan just took them to three games and they've got a little more mileage the tires as a result.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X