2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

TechHockeyGuide hopes to invest a ton of time into analyzing the PWR this summer. We're going to try and break down the best way to build a schedule, understand how different things effect the rankings. It will be quite the undertaking but hopefully we can shed some light on what the WCHA can do to be better.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      TechHockeyGuide hopes to invest a ton of time into analyzing the PWR this summer. We're going to try and break down the best way to build a schedule, understand how different things effect the rankings. It will be quite the undertaking but hopefully we can shed some light on what the WCHA can do to be better.
      I just finished the rough draft of the article and have attached it below if anyone wants to comment on it.
      Ryan J

"How to improve your PWR"
      Step 1: Win
      Step 2: See step 1
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        I just finished the rough draft of the article and have attached it below if anyone wants to comment on it.
        Ryan J

It's going to be much deeper than that. Understanding how other games effect your PWR, when the NCAA switched from 25/50/25 to 25/21/49 it craters his space where it is much harder to know ahead of time what is better for your team in another result.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Ryan J

It's solid advice, but I'd also note that in Kato, we won 22 times this year, went 2-0 against the NCHC, 1-1 against the Big, and 1-1 against the ECAC (road win), and weren't even within shouting distance of the top 15 in the Pairwise. I'm not saying we belonged in the field, but I am sorta questioning a system that didn't even have us remotely close to making the field.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
            I am sorta questioning a system that didn't even have us remotely close to making the field.
            Well unfortunately you played almost 20% of your games against a team that was #27 in the PWR (Michigan Tech) and some additional game against teams that were even lower. Sorry we could not be of greater assistance... Next year all WCHA teams need to go undefeated all season and we'll fix this problem. Hopefully the WCHA will be cool with the new concept of awarding wins to BOTH teams to help the cause and boost our PWR.

Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
              It's solid advice, but I'd also note that in Kato, we won 22 times this year, went 2-0 against the NCHC, 1-1 against the Big, and 1-1 against the ECAC (road win), and weren't even within shouting distance of the top 15 in the Pairwise. I'm not saying we belonged in the field, but I am sorta questioning a system that didn't even have us remotely close to making the field.
              Might be the number of games played against teams in the bottom 20%
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I agree and I've said publicly, we need as a league to play fewer games vs the NCHC. We do get some games vs Atlantic Hockey and the ECAC lets at least keep what we have. It might be a good reason to get games vs the east at the GLi as well. Or at least during tournament season make sure we schedule games vs east coast teams instead of Minnesota.
                Last edited by manurespreader; 03-22-2017, 07:48 PM.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Moving the conference games number to 24 would (in theory) be a money saver. It would limit the number of trips to Alaska over the four year cycle. That, of course, is incumbent on playing at least one of those two extra non-conference weekends at home...and if one of those is on the road...it's a bus trip instead of a flight.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post
                    Moving the conference games number to 24 would (in theory) be a money saver. It would limit the number of trips to Alaska over the four year cycle. That, of course, is incumbent on playing at least one of those two extra non-conference weekends at home...and if one of those is on the road...it's a bus trip instead of a flight.
                    So how do the rest of the WCHA schools guarantee themselves 2 of the four will be at home and that road games would be busserers? If you get stuck having to take a 2-for-1, you get nothing. If you get stuck flying out to play Merrimack or Holy Cross, you lose money because you won't get the Alaska, travel subsidy nor will you get the game exemption that Alaska offers.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 03-24-2017, 08:15 AM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      So how do the rest of the WCHA schools guarantee themselves 2 of the four will be at home and that road games would be bidders? If you get stuck having to take a 2-for-1, you get nothing. If you get stuck flying out to play Merrimack or Holy Cross, you lose money because you won't get the Alaska, nor will you get the game exemption that Alaska offers.
                      Play ASU, or DII/DIII teams. Not saying anybody should do that, but it is an option.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        Play ASU, or DII/DIII teams. Not saying anybody should do that, but it is an option.
                        If you do a 1-for-1 with ASU, you still pay full price for the flight to a Phoenix. Play D2\3, it's an exhibition game.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          So how do the rest of the WCHA schools guarantee themselves 2 of the four will be at home and that road games would be bidders? If you get stuck having to take a 2-for-1, you get nothing. If you get stuck flying out to play Merrimack or Holy Cross, you lose money because you won't get the Alaska, nor will you get the game exemption that Alaska offers.
                          I think that the last two seasons have shown us that the Alaska exemption is going unused by some.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            I think that the last two seasons have shown us that the Alaska exemption is going unused by some.

GFM
                            Is that the chicken or the egg in this scenario? Are teams not using the Alaska exemption because they can't get non-conference teams to visit them, or are non-conference games not being scheduled because they can't fully take advantage of the Alaska rule to their benefit?

If a team has a reduction in expenses by not flying to Alaska as often, couldn't that money be just earmarked for a flight out east? Are the Alaska exemptions going unused because teams who are offering 1:1's aren't "big crowd draw" teams?
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Is that the chicken or the egg in this scenario? Are teams not using the Alaska exemption because they can't get non-conference teams to visit them, or are non-conference games not being scheduled because they can't fully take advantage of the Alaska rule to their benefit?

If a team has a reduction in expenses by not flying to Alaska as often, couldn't that money be just earmarked for a flight out east? Are the Alaska exemptions going unused because teams who are offering 1:1's aren't "big crowd draw" teams?
                              A. I think it's mostly the former, because you're generally looking at 2-for-1s or pay dates, two things our schools don't like. Also, it's not always worth your while to do it. UAH went the full 38 in 2013-14, and Mike Corbett's sworn to never do it again because of the physical and mental toll that it took on his team. Also also wik, having the Alaska exemption doesn't just make more games appear. The Ivies' insistence on not playing the full slate does diminish things somewhat.

B. Honestly, in this league, the schools that can't get other schools to show up in their barns don't have the resources to fly out East.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

In the case of MSU-M, the exemption went unused mostly because we wanted a bye week. This is especially important now that the new playoff format has shortened the season by a week.

Comment

Working...
                                X