Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Comment

Congrats BG. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
        Congrats BG. Well done.
        Thank you. Hard fought series that could easily have gone either way. Last night's game was worthy of more than just a blurb at the bottom of the WCHA column today.

Comment

In just two years time, Bemidji becomes the third WCHA regular season (co)champion to not make the NCAA Tourney. Just let that sink in for a second. Two things we can take away from that:
          1) League parity remains as tight as ever
          2) Non-conference play has to improve in 2017-18

Feel a little bad for the Beavers now sitting at home just polishing the Cup until next season.
          Huskies/Mavs fans already been there, know that feeling.
          Ryan J
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            In just two years time, Bemidji becomes the third WCHA regular season (co)champion to not make the NCAA Tourney. Just let that sink in for a second. Two things we can take away from that:

Feel a little bad for the Beavers now sitting at home just polishing the Cup until next season.
            Ryan J
            One thing that keeps it interesting is that, though there may be some team with a few more losses, there are no gimmes on the schedule
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan J
              Concur.

Projections based off of last night's results: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2017/03...ns-2017-03-12/ Tech still favored to win with about 1-in-5; Mankato 1-in-4; BG a little over 1-in-3.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

I have a gut feeling the championship is going to be BG at Tech.
                Pretty good call. Tech most likely bounces back at home today.

BG is finally playing like the team most though they would be in October.
                Bowling Green's horrendous start was mainly fueled by two things.

1) The increased amount of penalties called at the beginning of the season, especially in October. BG played penalty filled games against Western, Ohio State and Miami. They lost the special teams battle in those games and the out-of-conference loses sunk their pairwise and to a large extent the WCHA's.
                2) Chris Nell's father passing away right before the start of the season. He tried to play on through it, but the results speak for themselves. He was a shell of the goalie he had been and rightfully so. It wasn't until after the Holiday break that he got his feet back under him. He now has figured out his "new normal" as Bergeron has said and since coming back from break has a 1.59 GAA and .942 save % numbers that are thebest in the league of goalies that have played at least 8 games in that time frame.

Nell will be the difference maker if BG is able to pull off the win on the road next weekend. He outplayed Bitzer this weekend and will need to do the same in the title game.

Once Nell solidified the goal the rest of the team has just fallen into place over the last 6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                  Pretty good call. Tech most likely bounces back at home today.
                  Thanks. Not over yet, but it seemed like going in that Tech and BG were playing the best.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    Here are the attendance numbers from the weekend.

Mankato: 2887, 2984
                    Bemidji: 2401, 2767, 2107
                    Michigan Tech: 2377, 2392
                    Bowling Green: 1697, 2055
                    Attendance numbers for the semifinals:

Michigan Tech: 2015, 2616, 2163
                    Bemidji State: 2162, 2210

Total so far: 32,833 (2345 average)
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      Attendance numbers for the semifinals:

Michigan Tech: 2015, 2616, 2163
                      Bemidji State: 2162, 2210

Total so far: 32,833 (2345 average)
                      I will say this, based on what I heard and saw of Sunday's game...I'm shocked the attendance went down from Saturday.
                      The good news is that Saturday's championship game is reportedly sold out already.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'm guessing that the winner is almost assuredly going to play Denver in the first round. I'm crossing my fingers for Cincy.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          I will say this, based on what I heard and saw of Sunday's game...I'm shocked the attendance went down from Saturday.
                          The good news is that Saturday's championship game is reportedly sold out already.
                          Agreed and thats why I doubt the number, was anyone there to say one way or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            Agreed and thats why I doubt the number, was anyone there to say one way or the other?
                            That was the biggest 2100 person crowd I've ever seen in there.

Comment

Maybe that was the public paid attendance? Some corporations and Coach Pearson helped to pay for tickets for the students and local youth so maybe those numbers didn't get added in some how?
                              Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                I thought that there were more people there on Sunday ... definitely on the student side.

Comment

Working...
                                X