Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 158

Thread: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    876

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    I liked the format, and frankly, the best teams should get a shot at hosting it ups the stakes past just getting to the playoffs and hoping to have a hot goalie down the stretch to make the NCAAs.

    GFM
    This week, lower seeds NoDak and Providence will essentially be home teams, in a system that supposedly uses "neutral" sites. At least with our new format, we've dispensed with the objective of neutral sites, and given home ice to the teams who have earned it. We can tell our teams that if you don't want to play road games in March, win more games in October through February. I'm not sure what the NCAA can tell Harvard and BU, but I guess that's their business.

    We've also avoided playing real neutral site games in places where no one will show up, and where there will be no atmosphere for those in attendance, and some really bad visuals for those watching on TV. We had a championship that felt and looked like a championship.

    Well done, Tech, both on the results and on the crowd and atmosphere you provided for Saturday's game.

  2. #102
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,162

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    This week, lower seeds NoDak and Providence will essentially be home teams, in a system that supposedly uses "neutral" sites. At least with our new format, we've dispensed with the objective of neutral sites, and given home ice to the teams who have earned it. We can tell our teams that if you don't want to play road games in March, win more games in October through February. I'm not sure what the NCAA can tell Harvard and BU, but I guess that's their business.

    We've also avoided playing real neutral site games in places where no one will show up, and where there will be no atmosphere for those in attendance, and some really bad visuals for those watching on TV. We had a championship that felt and looked like a championship.

    Well done, Tech, both on the results and on the crowd and atmosphere you provided for Saturday's game.
    I'll 2nd the comment on having a championship that looks like a title game. Really reminds me of the packed gyms you see in the small D-1 bouncy ball conference tournaments. Hopefully that will be sustained once the novelty wears off.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  3. #103
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,055

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    This week, lower seeds NoDak and Providence will essentially be home teams, in a system that supposedly uses "neutral" sites.
    Let's be honest - the NCAA tourney does not desire to maintain a neutral site. Their desire is to put butts in the seats and make money. Otherwise every year's bracket would have 100% integrity and would completely disregard travel distance (16v1, 15v2, etc.)
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  4. #104
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,055

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    I'll 2nd the comment on having a championship that looks like a title game. Really reminds me of the packed gyms you see in the small D-1 bouncy ball conference tournaments. Hopefully that will be sustained once the novelty wears off.
    I think the championship game will always do well. However your 1st and 2nd round games might not reach peak capacity for the high seeds. Fans might wait for more important games. Did anyone come close to selling out their first two round games this season?
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    876

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Let's be honest - the NCAA tourney does not desire to maintain a neutral site. Their desire is to put butts in the seats and make money. Otherwise every year's bracket would have 100% integrity and would completely disregard travel distance (16v1, 15v2, etc.)
    Ryan
    If butts in the seats is what they want, they better quit using Cincinnati as a regional.

  6. #106
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    I like the new format that the WCHA used for the playoffs. I have always wanted the regular season to mean more, and this does just that.

    Does it suck only having one week notice on where the Championship game will be held? Yes, but it also gives it the best chance of having a championship atmosphere.
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  7. #107
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,924

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I think the championship game will always do well. However your 1st and 2nd round games might not reach peak capacity for the high seeds. Fans might wait for more important games. Did anyone come close to selling out their first two round games this season?
    Ryan
    I disagree with the reason...the reason things will likely struggle is because of spring break.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  8. #108
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I disagree with the reason...the reason things will likely struggle is because of spring break.
    No question it's a spring break issue. If anything I would think it gets better as it catches on. One can argue that the playoffs before had the same issue with 2 of 3 in the first week but you knew you would not be seeing them the next week. The schools and communities need to be creative to get people at the games.

    I think the format is excellent.

  9. #109
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Does it suck only having one week notice on where the Championship game will be held? Yes, but it also gives it the best chance of having a championship atmosphere.
    I've read that we're going to a 24-team schedule soon, maybe as early as next year. (I'll have to look up the press release and follow-on media stuff about that for timing.). I wonder if the plan here is to start the playoffs a week earlier and either do three straight, three-game series or provide a week off between the semis and final game to let people set up accommodations. But let's be honest:

    1. If UAH, UAF, or UAA are the host school, it's not really going to matter if there's a one-week turn. The travel is going to suck. It sucks less to Alabama, but it still sucks.

    2. For BG/MTU/LSSU/FSU/NMU, the chances are that the travel isn't going to be that bad (since it's 50-50 that their opponent will be a short drive away), and none of those barns are huge, anyway. Also, none of them are in big metro areas (don't talk to me about being close to Toledo, Falcon fanatics). The fact of the matter is that the locals will fill the place.

    3. For the Minnesota schools, we actually have a good-problem-to-have. Both of those buildings are pretty solid facilities, and while the locals will help fill them up, they probably won't fill it completely. I'm thinking Mankato more than Bemidji, but it applies to both schools.

    I think that this is the best approach. It beats rotating the tournament like College Hockey America sorta did (RMU never hosted).

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  10. #110
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,924

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    I've read that we're going to a 24-team schedule soon, maybe as early as next year. (I'll have to look up the press release and follow-on media stuff about that for timing.). I wonder if the plan here is to start the playoffs a week earlier and either do three straight, three-game series or provide a week off between the semis and final game to let people set up accommodations. But let's be honest:

    1. If UAH, UAF, or UAA are the host school, it's not really going to matter if there's a one-week turn. The travel is going to suck. It sucks less to Alabama, but it still sucks.

    2. For BG/MTU/LSSU/FSU/NMU, the chances are that the travel isn't going to be that bad (since it's 50-50 that their opponent will be a short drive away), and none of those barns are huge, anyway. Also, none of them are in big metro areas (don't talk to me about being close to Toledo, Falcon fanatics). The fact of the matter is that the locals will fill the place.

    3. For the Minnesota schools, we actually have a good-problem-to-have. Both of those buildings are pretty solid facilities, and while the locals will help fill them up, they probably won't fill it completely. I'm thinking Mankato more than Bemidji, but it applies to both schools.

    I think that this is the best approach. It beats rotating the tournament like College Hockey America sorta did (RMU never hosted).

    GFM
    I would think the reduction in conference games would be about creating more open weekends to schedule NC with the extra week of conference tournament.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    876

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I would think the reduction in conference games would be about creating more open weekends to schedule NC with the extra week of conference tournament.
    Speaking of scheduling NC games, PSU and OSU made the tournament this year while each scheduling 5 AH games and 2 games with ASU (and yes, I know PSU got the autobid, but would have made it even with a Saturday loss). Math people, help me out here. Have we been doing this wrong? Is the key to a good RPI getting easier home wins as opposed to hoping to get road splits against top-notch competition? Or was this just a freaky year?

  12. #112
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,924

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Speaking of scheduling NC games, PSU and OSU made the tournament this year while each scheduling 5 AH games and 2 games with ASU (and yes, I know PSU got the autobid, but would have made it even with a Saturday loss). Math people, help me out here. Have we been doing this wrong? Is the key to a good RPI getting easier home wins as opposed to hoping to get road splits against top-notch competition? Or was this just a freaky year?
    I think its pretty obvious that winning is the most important, the rule seems to be play the most difficult games you know you can win...as far as helping your autobid chances...preparing you for the tournament is a different issue.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  13. #113
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    I've read that we're going to a 24-team schedule soon, maybe as early as next year. (I'll have to look up the press release and follow-on media stuff about that for timing.). I wonder if the plan here is to start the playoffs a week earlier and either do three straight, three-game series or provide a week off between the semis and final game to let people set up accommodations.
    The Commish was on the Beaver Radio Network during the Saturday Bowling Green/Bemidji game and he mentioned that a 24 game schedule is being bantered around. Before the league pulls the trigger on it though, he wants to make sure that teams will be able to fill those games. The logistics of the setup are still up in the air. Here is the link to the Beaver Radio Network Page:

    http://beaverradionetwork.com/?p=7285

    I thought about splitting into two five team "divisions" and playing everyone in your division twice and then everyone in the other division once, but that is 26 games. I guess it would be something like this (as an example for the first year):

    BSU Plays Mankato 4 time as its rival (4 games)
    BSU plays the rival pair of UAH and BG four times each (8 games)
    BSU plays all other rival pairs two times each, one team at home, one team on the road (12 games)

    The pair you play four times in years two through four would rotate then. The teams you play two times would switch up home and road.

    That would mean 10 to 14 non-conference games to fill depending on use of the "Alaska Exemptions".
    Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 03-20-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  14. #114
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    CHA teams will be able to tell you that having fewer conference games don't necessarily means that you're going to get the OOC games, and certainly not at home.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  15. #115
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    CHA teams will be able to tell you that having fewer conference games don't necessarily means that you're going to get the OOC games, and certainly not at home.

    GFM
    You and I have been there, so I know what you are saying. Are teams willing to give up one conference home series (and one conference road series) based on the fact they MIGHT get one or two home non-conference series? You have to have willing dance partners, and those aren't always easy to find. The Commish did say in that interview that he would like to see WCHA teams filling their non-conference schedule with local/regional rivals whenever possible.
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  16. #116
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    15,924

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    CHA teams will be able to tell you that having fewer conference games don't necessarily means that you're going to get the OOC games, and certainly not at home.

    GFM
    Oh, I definitely think that the WCHA is at the appropriate number of conference games because of the alaska exemption.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  17. #117
    Watch out for the bull!
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Mankato, MN
    Posts
    3,218

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I think the championship game will always do well. However your 1st and 2nd round games might not reach peak capacity for the high seeds. Fans might wait for more important games. Did anyone come close to selling out their first two round games this season?
    Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I disagree with the reason...the reason things will likely struggle is because of spring break.
    Yeah, we only got one round of home games, and it was during spring break, so it's hard to judge.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    93

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    If butts in the seats is what they want, they better quit using Cincinnati as a regional
    Kind of hard when NOBODY but UND and Miami are willing to even submit a bid to host. BG hosted with Toledo a few years back. The Huntington Center lost their rear end on it. They won't be bidding again, trust me.

    If they wanted to help attendance in Cincy maybe they should had put OSU there. However, they couldn't because the committee didn't want to force Denver to play UND in Fargo and like I said UND bids EVERY FREAKING YEAR. Meanwhile Providence gets to play basically home games for the 2nd time in 3 years as a #4 seed!! That's a joke and Harvard has every right to be upset, which they are.

    The current NCAA regional model is broken and I'm not sure how you fix it.....8 campus sites followed by 4 campus sites like it used to be....IDK. I do know that some of the most raucous home BG games I was ever at were the NCAA games they hosted in the 70's and 80's.

  19. #119
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in the Andes
    Posts
    5,912

    Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by bravohankins View Post
    Kind of hard when NOBODY but UND and Miami are willing to even submit a bid to host. BG hosted with Toledo a few years back. The Huntington Center lost their rear end on it. They won't be bidding again, trust me.

    If they wanted to help attendance in Cincy maybe they should had put OSU there. However, they couldn't because the committee didn't want to force Denver to play UND in Fargo and like I said UND bids EVERY FREAKING YEAR. Meanwhile Providence gets to play basically home games for the 2nd time in 3 years as a #4 seed!! That's a joke and Harvard has every right to be upset, which they are.

    The current NCAA regional model is broken and I'm not sure how you fix it.....8 campus sites followed by 4 campus sites like it used to be....IDK. I do know that some of the most raucous home BG games I was ever at were the NCAA games they hosted in the 70's and 80's.
    I'd like to see Green Bay bid again.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,042
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I'd like to see Green Bay bid again.
    It won't happen again soon because of the girls state BBall tourney at the Resch.

    As for the possibility of 4 additional NC games, it's difficult getting a split of NC games right now. Michigan Tech had no NC games in their rink this year and many others only have 2 or 3. Good luck.
    Last edited by davyd83; 03-20-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •