Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Thanks Geof.
    Sure. Two months ago, NMU was headed for maybe 20 points and a 10th-place finish. It's amazing what happens when a team goes on a run.

What I did notice in looking at last year and the year before was that the top three teams are about as good, but instead of having the 4-5-6 teams be considered above average, they're right about average to kinda sucky. If I can put the whole nWCHA history through the wringer this summer, I will.

GFM

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Yes I would say there is some regression to the mean. But probably more importantly is that Tolvanen's shutouts, as significant as they were, were against our #4, #6 & #10 WCHA teams. In contrast, his last 3 opponents have been the WCHA's #1, #2, and #3 teams.
    NMU was outshot and outplayed in the BGSU series by a wide margin. He made 75 saves, many of the circus variety, and is the ONLY reason they won a game in that series much less two. To say they are just playing better teams now is a disservice to how well he played and how much he picked his team up and basically put them into the playoffs on his back. Nobody could keep that level of play up forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bravohankins View Post
    NMU was outshot and outplayed in the BGSU series by a wide margin. He made 75 saves, many of the circus variety, and is the ONLY reason they won a game in that series much less two. To say they are just playing better teams now is a disservice to how well he played and how much he picked his team up and basically put them into the playoffs on his back. Nobody could keep that level of play up forever.
    There was nothing written here that was a disservice to Tolvanen. I gave credit to his shutouts as significant; and my response helped answer the question that was presented. He's a Tier 1 goalie who I have watched play in person a half a dozen times. His "player of the month" award was well deserved and indeed he is the major reason the Cats are in the playoffs. Yet it is incontrovertible to suggest that the 2 distinct levels of competition did not play a significant role in yielding zero goals versus 21 during two consecutive 5-game spans.

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017

Good riddance to Ferris. Glad to see anti-hockey take an early powder this season.

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Considering Bemidji has only scored more than 4 goals in 3 games this season, I think the chances of them blowing out anyone are minimal. Northern doesn't match up well at all with Minnesota State, but there isn't any way the Beavers can play that game. BSU has one sweep in their last 11 weekends. That alone should make you think this series is going 3 games, and after seeing both of them in person in the second half I just think NMU has that little something extra they can pull out on Sunday.
    Well, here's that third game you mentioned. I still think BSU comes out on top, but I'd really like to see NMU next weekend. Not out of disrespect to NMU, I'm scared to death of the goaltending, but because I love the energy in the building when NMU shows up.

Well all home teams won, will this continue?
    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

Here are the attendance numbers from the weekend.

Mankato: 2887, 2984
    Bemidji: 2401, 2767, 2107
    Michigan Tech: 2377, 2392
    Bowling Green: 1697, 2055
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

Average Attendance this season:
    Mankato: 3862
    Bemidji: 2803
    Michigan Tech: 3049
    Bowling Green: 2349
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Average Attendance this season:

Mankato: 3862
    Bemidji: 2803
    Michigan Tech: 3049
    Bowling Green: 2349

How many schools were on Spring break? That might matter more for some than others? Tech I know just started.

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    How many schools were on Spring break? That might matter more for some than others? Tech I know just started.
    Kato started spring break on Friday. Student section was mostly empty. Of course, they would have had to pay for tickets had they been in town, so I think that number would have shrunk anyway. Still, as bad as those numbers are, they are up from the last 4 years. For some reason, playoff games just don't draw that well, especially if it goes to a Sunday game (2026 last year against LSSU)

Roll along you BG Warriors!

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Kato started spring break on Friday. Student section was mostly empty. Of course, they would have had to pay for tickets had they been in town, so I think that number would have shrunk anyway. Still, as bad as those numbers are, they are up from the last 4 years. For some reason, playoff games just don't draw that well, especially if it goes to a Sunday game (2026 last year against LSSU)
    BG spring break officially starts Monday but everyone bugged out on Friday. The Saturday numbers are pretty solid for an empty campus.

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Well not sure if the numbers were bad but lower and with so many on spring break that is understandable, really depends on how much of a crowd is typically students. It is the 1st year as well for this so give it time. Like to see this weeks upcoming numbers

Well not sure if the numbers were bad but lower and with so many on spring break that is understandable, really depends on how much of a crowd is typically students. It is the 1st year as well for this so give it time. Like to see this weeks upcoming numbers
    BSU's spring break is the week of 03/13/17-03/17/17.

First rounds have always been on campus. They are just starting a week earlier this year.

This upcoming weekend and next weekend will be the test with semifinals/final being on campus.
    Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 03-06-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

This year should be comparable to last year for the first round. Assuming Spring break timing was also consistent. There's no reason to believe that the new format would have any effect on the first round attendance. I think it has more to do with the matchups. If you had first round series between BSU and MSU and between MTU and NMU, you would have seen more sellouts.

It's the next two weekends that are of interest compared to the old final five, and attendance will certainly be higher just because there is at least one extra semi final game at each location, and possibly a total of 4 more games.

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    BSU's spring break is the week of 03/13/17-03/17/17.

First rounds have always been on campus. They are just starting a week earlier this year.
    This upcoming weekend and next weekend will be the test with semifinals/final being on campus.
    Yes I know but as we all know this leads to anther possible home series not off to some distant tourney.

BG spring break started last Friday so our students were gone for the playoff series versus Ferris State. Also Bowling Green High School's hockey team was in the state playoffs so some more fans were at that game as well.

I know this will be a "no kidding" post, but not really a surprise to see the four programs that have financially committed to their hockey programs being the last four teams left in the playoffs.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    I know this will be a "no kidding" post, but not really a surprise to see the four programs that have financially committed to their hockey programs being the last four teams left in the playoffs.
    The other thing I find interesting is we've now had 4 seasons and the Top 5 has always included MTU, MSU, BGSU and FSU. Alaska (3rd-2014), BSU (4th-2015), NMU (5th-2016), and BSU (1st-2017) are the other teams to join them through 4 seasons.

EDIT: I forgot about Alaska's NCAA penalty year where they would have been 4th if allowed to participate so that would have been an exception to the above.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    I think other programs are simply unable to spend any more money. I think they would like to, but feel like they have to allocate the funds elsewhere. I know Tech would not be where it is without committed alumni.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Well all home teams won, will this continue?
    I'd be a little surprised if they did. The gap between, say, Tech and Mankato isn't that big. Do you expect Bemidji State to beat Bowling Green? Yeah, you do, but Northern Michigan just took them to three games and they've got a little more mileage the tires as a result.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Thread Information