Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    your tax $$ at work. Personally, even if I can't stand UMass because I can hold a grudge forever (Mullins Mausoleum was built with the money that was supposed to build our parking garage ) this seems a horrible waste of $$. Enough to feed people for a long time
    How many head football coaches are they currently paying? 3???
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      Speaking of buyouts, it sounds like Kelsey may owe UMA $1M for backing out.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketb..._pat_kels.html
      Well it all evens out then between Kellogg's $1 million he was paid and the $1 million Kelsey might now owe Amherst. Football, basketball, hockey...everything's a mess there and I'm ok with that as it just makes Lowell look all that more together and attractive. They're less a flagship and more a sinking ship.
      Last edited by riverchief1; 03-23-2017, 09:22 PM.
      Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
      Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
      Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

• Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
        Well it all evens out then between Kellogg's $1 million he was paid and the $1 million Kelsey might now owe Amherst. Football, basketball, hockey...everything's a mess there and I'm ok with that as it just makes Lowell look all that more together and attractive. They're less a flagship and more a sinking ship.
        I presume the new college he eventually ends up at (not Winthrop) will be on the hook to pay the million. He only makes $250k at Winthrop apparently.

I'd like to think tax payer money doesn't cover any of this, the sports bring money in don't they?

Comment

With all the articles out there currently, I find it interesting to see all the comments by the freshmen as they talk about how the upper-classmen have treated them.

And then I think back to pre-Bazin, where a very talented Lowell squad fell apart because of the divide amongst the senior class and those below them.

Yet another way things have changed.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            With all the articles out there currently, I find it interesting to see all the comments by the freshmen as they talk about how the upper-classmen have treated them.

And then I think back to pre-Bazin, where a very talented Lowell squad fell apart because of the divide amongst the senior class and those below them.

Yet another way things have changed.
            THis. They are very tight. It is good to see

Comment

I just logged in and got a warning that my password expired 1,479 days ago... guess it's been a while! UML! UML! UML!

Comment

THis. They are very tight. It is good to see
                Agree - they seem to be a tight-knit group. This starts with the upper-classmen leadership setting the tone. Also a key feeder is the individual accountability and team buy-in that you consistently read and hear about. Watching some of the videos that have been posted on this thread, one of the interesting things that caught my eye was how loose the team seemed to be during their pre-HE championship warmups. The team camaraderie was clearly visible.
                University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5883440/

There is also a large event at the Radisson on Saturday.

Arrive early and often.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    https://local.nixle.com/alert/5883440/

There is also a large event at the Radisson on Saturday.

Arrive early and often.
                    Shouldn't the "Irish Road Race" have been LAST weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Dates... details.

https://www.manchesternh.gov/City-Ca...EventID/E57260
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

No. They are trying to screw everything up this weekend when people haven't been drinking for the last few days?

Comment

Yeah, along with the St. Patrick's Day parade which they're also holding over a week too late on Sunday. But one poorly planned event day at a time for Manchester, first let's get through Saturday.
                          Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                          Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                          Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

With one day to go , probably time to talk a little about hockey. Last weekend we saw Lowell near its best for about 54 minutes against the Irish and then for about 30 minutes vs BC. It was really refreshing to see them play such a complete and dominant game vs Notre Dame. The key was puck management through the NZ and first touches in both the defensive and offensive zones which meant they were hard on pucks.Probably the best game I have seen them support the puck and make successive 3-4 foot passes breaking out and then through the NZ and then into the attack.

Against BC, this was a true "gut-check" win and credit to the team and coaching staff for believing in their defensive structure and in each other showing the resilience to get the win. Lowell was good for about 30 minutes and then stopped moving their feet and forcing the play. They also got into trouble when they started going lateral with pucks instead of advancing it forward and then pressuring and staying above the puck. I don't think I have seen Lowell players get stripped of the puck like we saw the last 30 minutes of that game.

It may be a real good lessen that they went through such a high stakes game and struggled so much the second half and still got the win. Lowell, despite showing great defensive structure, really played nervous the last 30 minutes. Players were stumbling and fumbling with pucks, unable to make strong clears and consecutive passes and really did not make any hockey plays. They were on their heels and hung on for the win. I think the pressure of being to the HE final game the last 2 years without a win really played on their minds. Now having gone through that and gutting out a win, I believe they will be able to manage the pressure that much better in the Regionals and we shouldn't see the team shut down like they did especially in a tight game. Interesting was Coach York's comments in regards to hitting the cross bar and if that goal goes in , BC is going to the NCAA tourney, Even though that would have only tied the game, he felt they would have won as they were dominating the play.

Cornell will be an interesting opponent as they are big and physical. Lowell has struggled against teams this year that have played a heavy game, forechecked hard, shut down the walls and clogged the NZ. The key though will be whether Cornell can do that with any pace. We saw that Lowell can be vulnerable in their own end as BC exposed their defensive zone coverage. As Lowell sat back in the NZ, BC attacked with speed. They were able to get first touches on pucks on the entry and the initial scrum. Early on in the game Lowell defence was able to close and eliminate the first touches and they had good support with their box plus one structure. Once Lowell stopped moving their feet, BC was able to get first touches and then immediately rimmed the puck away from the initial scrum. With 4 players down low, Lowell would then re-adjust to the rimmed puck and then BC would then throw it to the weak side and had Lowell scrambling. Not sure if Cornell will have this game plan but BC exposed Lowell to some degree in the last regular season games and then in the HE final in this fashion.

I really feel that this Lowell team has started to come into their own and recognize how they need to play to their identity. It was very positive to see the best players have a positive impact in the games last weekend and the underclassmen step up and make major contributions. If this team can duplicate their efforts from last weekend and put that into play for an entire 60 minutes, I really like their chances of making a trip to Chicago. Specialty teams, the NZ, making smart and hard decisions and advancing the puck and with pace should be keys to a victory. Can't wait.

Comment

Anyone else having flashbacks to when Roli stood on his head thru 3 OTs while we hung on?
                              Last edited by leswp1; 03-24-2017, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Anyone having flashbacks to when Roli stood on his head thru 3 OTs while we hung on?
                                And the penalty.....

At least they can ice it

Comment

Working...
                                X